Fugitive accused of stealing packages off front porches

SALT LAKE CITY ? Larry Ray Stairs has a number of warrants out for his arrest. The most recent accusations against him will make you think twice about leaving a package on your front porch.

"Pistol Pete" Minenno, a bail enforcement agent (more commonly known as a bounty hunter), was looking for Stairs, whose arrest warrants included drug possession, failure to listen to police, and possessing burglary tools.

Minenno said Stairs normally targets construction sites, but this time of year, he steals packages off of people's front porches. Currently, there's no shortage of supply with thousands of holiday gifts delivered to porches all over Utah.

Minenno said a relative of Stairs first told him about the operation to steal holiday gifts.

"They informed me that he takes packages right off people's porches in Christmas time," Minenno said.

That relative said Stairs was living in a storage unit in Millcreek. When the bounty hunter went to check it out, there was a brief confrontation, but Stairs got away.

"There's a bed in the back of all this junk. People live in storage units here in Salt Lake City, Utah," Minenno said.

We saw officers towing a car from the parking lot of the storage unit Tuesday, and the Salt Lake Valley Health Department served notice that no one can live there.

In the meantime, as Minenno puts the squeeze on Stairs, the public is warned to be aware of surroundings. "It's just easy," Minenno said. "It's an easy operation. He's good at what he does. He's just a thief and he takes that easy money and turns it over to cash."

Officials warn consumers who order products online or who are expecting packages to make sure they must sign for it when it's delivered.

source

I still dont understand the way UPS and Fedex operate. I have had $800 electronics left on my front porch but on a different day I had to sign for a $20 bluray. Normally if I know I will not be home I can log in to the tracking page and choose signature required or something but its not always an option. I'd be ****ed if something was ever stolen off my front steps.

I still dont understand the way UPS and Fedex operate. I have had $800 electronics left on my front porch but on a different day I had to sign for a $20 bluray. Normally if I know I will not be home I can log in to the tracking page and choose signature required or something but its not always an option. I'd be ****ed if something was ever stolen off my front steps.

You're not responsible if they leave it without a signature. You have to wait for it to be replaced, but its the couriers responsibility.

As for signature required, thats left to the shipper. It costs extra to do that.

You're not responsible if they leave it without a signature. You have to wait for it to be replaced, but its the couriers responsibility.

As for signature required, thats left to the shipper. It costs extra to do that.

yea I know Im not responsible but I just never understood the practice of it. it should be standard that at X dollar amount a signature is required.. but whatever I am sure it doesnt happen alot but I wouldnt want to be the company paying a $800 claim because they saved $3 by not requiring a signature.

I still dont understand the way UPS and Fedex operate.

I have been on a tour of a UPS facility. Many thousands of packages.

As best that I could figure out, the delivery drivers are under a lot of pressure to make a lot of deliveries, as fast as possible.

They don't want to stand around, waiting for someone to answer and sign, nor do they want to come back 2 or 3 times.

They are all too quick to leave a package with a neighbor as well.

This has given me grief several times. :s

^ Same here. And I know a guy that works for UPS and you're right, they have a quota. They'd rather just drop a package and go. Even when I'm home they never ask me to sign for anything anymore. At work, however, that is a different situation. We have to sign for everything we get.