2...Yes 2 new phones today

Time came to update my 2 contracts with Telus (Canada).

Old phone #1 Original BlackBerry Torch > Samsung Galaxy S3

and

Old phone #2 HTC Desire > HTC X One +

Great deal from Futureshop. S3 was free on a 3 year plan ($50/month) the HTC was $79 on a 3 year ($40/month) Plus a got a $75 Futureshop giftcard with the HTC!

I'm not a big fan of being tied down for 3 years but I dont upgrade very often and it's not like I'm going to give up my (1 for me, 1 for wife) phones anytime soon..

So far the HTC is Niiiice and the wife loves the S3.

don't mean to be a troll but:

50 * 18 = 900, for the S3

30 * 18 = 720 + 79 = 799

How is that free :s

Shouldn't those 18s be 36s as that's how many months there are in 3 years?

So you think the monthly price you pay only pays for the phone...? lol

Although yes, I agree 3 year contracts are a pain. I'm canadian.

congrats on the new phones :)

I always buy off-contract and then get a prepaid plan with the carrier to avoid the mandatory data plan :shiftyninja:

Yeah Canada it's a 3 years contract. That's why I bought my galaxy s3 in India when I was there.

When my August 2010 (HTC Desire) 3 year contract with Telus ends, I will never sign a contract ever again.

I just replaced my sim with a micro-sim and put it in there. My old HTC is resting in my closet.

I just used 18 to show how expensive the phones would be barely a year and a half later, forgot to add though that "within year and a half you could've bought both phones and have cheaper contracts"

In the US, dont you have the option to go onto 1 month rolling contracts, like in the UK?

I only ask as when my contract has ran it's time, I'm going to just buy the handsets from now on and stay on the ?10 (about $16.30 US) a month roller, I worked out that regardless of the phone, (comparing to S3 and Lumia pricing) in 2 years I would have saved ?200 approx. over having the phone cheap or free and tied into a long term contract...

When talking about postpaid in North America (other than a few exceptions) you pay the same price monthly whether you took a phone on contract or not. It's actually dumb to NOT buy a phone when you get an upgrade ever since they implemented prorated ETFs.

I can get a new phone every 2 years for $400 off and pay X amount of money per month, or I can buy the phone for full price and still pay X amount of money per month. I upgrade my phone at least once a year, but I ALWAYS buy a phone right when I'm up for contract renewal. Even if there is no phone I want from their selection, I will choose the one with the highest resale profit and sell it.

I didnt have 1200$ to lay out for 2 new phones and if Im going to pay $40-60/month/phone anyway why not get discounted phones? Like I said I dont change my phones that often and the monthly charge doesn't change if I pay full price for the phone or not, but yes 3 years does suck...

So far I love the (wifes) S3, the interface very smooth, nice hardware but crappy default apps..

The OneX is great, the beats audio on my Monster ear buds is truely awesome and 64GB is nice to have, going to try some videos soon.

Canada has contracts on everything. Hell I even have a 3 year contract with my Satelite (Bell). With whom I also have 2, 3 year, Cell contracts. And I have a 1 year minimum contract with Rogers for internet.

When talking about postpaid in North America (other than a few exceptions) you pay the same price monthly whether you took a phone on contract or not. It's actually dumb to NOT buy a phone when you get an upgrade ever since they implemented prorated ETFs.

I can get a new phone every 2 years for $400 off and pay X amount of money per month, or I can buy the phone for full price and still pay X amount of money per month. I upgrade my phone at least once a year, but I ALWAYS buy a phone right when I'm up for contract renewal. Even if there is no phone I want from their selection, I will choose the one with the highest resale profit and sell it.

Well it's the same everywhere.

Though in corporate or "group" contracts, you pay what you consume and since most calls within the same group are free (eg could be a company, group of friends, etc.) You end up paying barely tax.

I pay $5 unlimited free calling to 3 numbers, $5 for 1gb of internet (up AND down :/) Thats around $12 a month including tax... I understand though, that this is different everywhere else.

Man, that blows :s

Tell me about it... I used to be $5 for 500mb... 1gb is still meh though... Once you get passed the limit, speed throttles down to 128k... a 3g or 4g internet plan ( according to coverage) costs around $50 for 10gb (again up and down). we get butt rapped!

With AT&T, you get 300 MB for $20 or 3 GB for $30 on the individual plans. That's far worse than $5/GB, that's actually not bad.Thankfully, I am grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data plan for now.