HP LAPTOP randomly shutting down

hello i have just got a new hard drive for my hp laptop since the old one was broken but the problem now is that it randomly shuts down.

i have re installed the windows 7 system. also i have read the answers on yahoo that people gave. my fan inst broken i have opened it up completely and cleaned it.

also my laptop doesn't get really hot im sure about that because it gets hot as it always used to. iam worried about the RAM but im not sure im seeking advice from a

people that knows what it maybe. thanks.

Is the laptop getting really hot? I have a friend of mine with an HP laptop and it has some serious cooling issues.

I second this. HP has some serious issues when it comes to cooling down laptops. Mostly check the fan under the laptop on the left side, mine just stopped whenever it thought it doesn't need more air and restart it was.

Check event logs

This is your first place to look. Right click on Computer and select manage. Expand Event manager and look for System. Look for all the items that happened around the time of your shutdown.

to really confirm heat or memory you will need to run tools.

I personally like speedfan for temp monitoring although cpuid has a really nice one called hwmonitor

I like memtest86+ for memory. You are best off letting it run for a while (a few hours). any of the blocks become red during that time you have a memory issue, it may not show up on the first pass or the 10th pass.

Since you've opened up the system to clean it, make sure that the heatsink is properly seated on the CPU, and ensure thermal paste is not dried out.

I am the (not very proud) owner of an dead HDX X16T-1200, and it worked fine for about a 18 months, although it would ALWAYS run hot. After about 18 months, the thing would get hot enough to cook an egg on, and that is not an exaggeration, and it just shut itself down one day. A few hours later I was able to power it up. Few days later, it shut down again. Couple days later i was able to power it up again, it worked for about a day, and then it died again. Repeat that process of it shutting down on its own and refusing to start for a good 4-8 weeks, but the time it would stay on got less and less. It eventually would only stay on for about 10 minutes, so I gave up on it.

I opened it up, looked at everything, and it all looked as it should. Fans were not terribly dusty, etc. I think they just use crap components.

So, I hate to say this as I know you are looking for answers, I just think they are crap laptops. I purchased mine as I was considering a MacBook at the time, but the HP laptop was over 60% less expensive once I found coupons online than the MacBook I was looking at at the time. But, I guess it is a matter of you get what you pay for.

I still have it in my basement. I am pretty sure if I went and grabbed it, it would power up again, but would probably only last a few days tops before it just decided to stop working.

Well

I am the (not very proud) owner of an dead HDX X16T-1200, and it worked fine for about a 18 months, although it would ALWAYS run hot. After about 18 months, the thing would get hot enough to cook an egg on, and that is not an exaggeration, and it just shut itself down one day. A few hours later I was able to power it up. Few days later, it shut down again. Couple days later i was able to power it up again, it worked for about a day, and then it died again. Repeat that process of it shutting down on its own and refusing to start for a good 4-8 weeks, but the time it would stay on got less and less. It eventually would only stay on for about 10 minutes, so I gave up on it.

I opened it up, looked at everything, and it all looked as it should. Fans were not terribly dusty, etc. I think they just use crap components.

So, I hate to say this as I know you are looking for answers, I just think they are crap laptops. I purchased mine as I was considering a MacBook at the time, but the HP laptop was over 60% less expensive once I found coupons online than the MacBook I was looking at at the time. But, I guess it is a matter of you get what you pay for.

I still have it in my basement. I am pretty sure if I went and grabbed it, it would power up again, but would probably only last a few days tops before it just decided to stop working.

Maybe for these laptops an SSD would be a good choice. Maybe the drive was contributing to the heat.

Well

Maybe for these laptops an SSD would be a good choice. Maybe the drive was contributing to the heat.

Yeah, I have definitely pondered it, and may pick one up in the future if needed, but since I have purchased it, I got a new job who was gracious enough to purchase me a MacBook Pro (two actually, I now have a MBP Retina), that I can also use for personal use, so I just kind of put the HP laptop away for a rainy day. I was actually thinking I may play around with it over Xmas break to see what if anything I can get working again.