Watches...

well my 10+ year old Seiko Perpetual Calendar Titanium was a lot more than 250and it's worth it, even if I need to send it in to change battery every 5+ years. I do wish they could make a perpetual calendar that's kinetic powered though. most of the Seiko's today don't have the nice blue backplate that made me buy this one for significant savings back then though (they're like half the price today than they where then though)

i just checked their website, they do offer a kinetic perpetual.

This is my watch, first watch in 11 years and certainly not my last.

8339993202_04dbf29636_o.jpg

Tissot PRC 200. Got it during the Christmas sale at ?200. I've replaced the clasp with a full butterfly one for a wider opening and it looks a little meatier than the stock one.

I have a very nice Nautica watch, they are actually made by Timex

Got it because we have a Timexpo here, a Timex outlet, and it was like 50% off or so

I still pop in from time to time, never know what kind of great deals you can find. One day I'll be able to afford better

I have never been a "Watch" guy ..

About 4 years ago - I felt it was time to treat myself and I bought a white gold Esquire watch. I found it in the store - Loved the look of it and I bought it. About 6 months later the second hand stopped functioning, however, because it was Swiss it needed to be shipped back to Switzerland and I waited the 2-3 weeks for the watches return. Not bad I thought ? until it happened two more times.

Convinced by my girlfriend (now wife) that this was a rare one off ? just bad luck but felt I wasted my money I stretched to a fossil watch ?kinetic? powered. It was a nice watch to look at, as all the background moved etc. - It was impressive looking. Until it died 3 months later ...

In the end ? I will never be without a cell phone and thus never truly in a situation that makes a watch 100% required. Seemed silly to spend all this money on such a disposable fashion statement.

This is biased of course but never looked back.

If you're going to buy replicas, just buy quality watches from a slightly cheaper maker.

I'd rather have a wuality seiko that costs a bit more, than a crap fake rolex.

If you're going to buy replicas, just buy quality watches from a slightly cheaper maker.

I'd rather have a wuality seiko that costs a bit more, than a crap fake rolex.

Agreed.

i like (and have a) longines, but might buy a NOMOS watch this year.. not sure yet.

a 'better' option would be a jaeger lecoultre or IWC but can't quite justify the price tag while i'm saving for another house :)

re: fake/replicas - just don't, it says a lot about a person who is willing to wear fake goods.. and none of it is good :p

The thing is, i don't want a replica because i want to pretend that it is the genuine watch or for the thrill that i would be violating a trademark it is because i like the design. I am very fussy when it comes to watches, i want to be able have all 1-12 numbers on the dial, a nice font, a black background, the date and several other things which i find very difficult to find. Omega tend to be the watches i like the design of. I don't care which brand it is, as long as it looks nice, is comfortable, less than ?100 delivered and is reliable i'd buy it.

I have never been a "Watch" guy ..

About 4 years ago - I felt it was time to treat myself and I bought a white gold Esquire watch. I found it in the store - Loved the look of it and I bought it. About 6 months later the second hand stopped functioning, however, because it was Swiss it needed to be shipped back to Switzerland and I waited the 2-3 weeks for the watches return. Not bad I thought ? until it happened two more times.

Convinced by my girlfriend (now wife) that this was a rare one off ? just bad luck but felt I wasted my money I stretched to a fossil watch ?kinetic? powered. It was a nice watch to look at, as all the background moved etc. - It was impressive looking. Until it died 3 months later ...

In the end ? I will never be without a cell phone and thus never truly in a situation that makes a watch 100% required. Seemed silly to spend all this money on such a disposable fashion statement.

This is biased of course but never looked back.

That's the problem with cheap watches, they never last, gotta pay for quality, or might as well buy a cheapo $5 digital watch off the street corner

That's the problem with cheap watches, they never last, gotta pay for quality, or might as well buy a cheapo $5 digital watch off the street corner

yes was going to say.. are either of those two you mention even over ?150?

@tim_s - Add another zero and try again

I don't have a watch because my tastes are far too expensive. I have a couple of Tag Heuers that I really like, but I don't want to drop a couple of thousand on a watch.

May pick up a Pebble watch after I give them time to catch up with their preorders and hear some feedback. I wouldn't mind a nice smartwatch.

yes was going to say.. are either of those two you mention even over ?150?

@tim_s - Add another zero and try again

Sorry, I don't agree. Affordable watches do last. There are many sub ?150 ($250) watches that are good. I'm speaking mainly about mechanical watches. (I put all quartz on the same page.) Many Seiko's/Citizen's come well under and up to that price range and I don't think anyone has a leg to stand on if they say they are crap and wont last. Seiko 5's come under ?50 ($80). Orient is another affordable watch company. They have 'Swiss Made' affordable watches such as Swiss Legend. Fossil uses the exact same movement as well as several other brands such as Zodiac but, unlike Fossil and Swiss Legend, they charge several times more using the exact same movement. (The controversy surrounding the cl-888 movement is a story for another time, or just google it)

Bottom line, many affordable watches are not cheap toys that will break in a week, they will last. I'm not saying affordable watches are on par with watches that are hundreds if not thousands more, though sometimes they may be, the point is price is not always an indicator of better quality. When you go up the price scale it becomes more about fit and finish, how well is the movement decorated, whether it is decorated by hand, precious metals used, brand etc... and not a question of whether the watch will last that much longer. I think most times, people care only about the country of origin rather than the merits of the watch itself.

Hey ladies and gentlemen, I have a question for you. I have not worn a watch since I was a young lad and I have very little knowledge of them (there is more to them than I had thought, wow). Basically, I am looking for an atomic watch that I can wear everywhere (including the gym). Hopefully affordable and sweat resistant. I don't really like the idea of having a $300+ watch on me, not sure why. I don't need all the bells and whistles but I do like the idea of atomic watches. I don't need thirty gauges and whatnot, just something that tells the time and date. Could somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance. :)

Why does it have to be atomic ?

my Seiko perpetual Calendar is more accurate than any other watch, including my phones, it's now over 10 years old and the only times I have to adjust it is because of the stupid summer time (DST) and then I just move it an hour forward or back, not bothering to check other clocks. and by the time I have to have it in to change the battery ever 5-6 years, it's still as accurate as the day I got it back from last change.

it's also not a flashy watch, it's a simple titanium watch, with a nice blue backround that the light plays on in a cool way.

an atomic clock is just a clock that auto adjust from a radio signal(ping) from the atomic clocks around the world anyway, If you buy a quality clock it doesn't need such silly gimmicks, it'll be accurate until you need to change the battery anyway, most likely atomic clocks use cheaper less accurate insides simply because they don't need better.

Don't worry how it works or such, just look at watches in your price range and pick one that you like the looks of. Don't over think it or buy it because you want a tech gadget. a watch is not a tech gadget, it's a tool, a simple tool that should work no matter what, and that should look good, for you, doing it.

If you want a fairly good homage to the classic Rolex diver watch, without buying a fake whilst still getting great fit & finish and a good quality ETA movement then Steinhart watches are held in very high regard. Have been debating buying one for ages now but never seem to get around to it.

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/

Check out their Diver Watches section. They do plenty of nice original designs, but also some very Rolex style watches such as:

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/OCEAN-1-GREEN,15.html

You can wear their watches with pride - as I say, well regarded company with good quality products and very good customer service apparently.

• 4 weeks later...

I've only just had a chance to look around and came across this, i remembered the brand mentioned in this thread and it's the one thats stood out to me so far.

just can't decide in black or silver.

8509735?$detail$8518173?$detail$

?109 for silver, ?115 for black

haven't shopped about for prices yet.

I was on the search for a new watch for about 1 year and a half. I had very clear requierments about looks and price range (sub 1500CHF). Since I have rather small wrists, anything bigger then 38mm (1.5in) would look akward on me, so a lot of the bigger watches were not an option. Last september I was shopping for jewlery for the misses (gonna start early on the christmas presents), when the following watch catched my eye.

http://www.certina.com/Collection/Gent-Automatic-Collection/DS-Caimano-Gent.aspx?m=1

Select style 5

Tried it and bought within 10min.

I do not regret spending the money. This watch fits normal buisness attire (navy/grey/brown suit) as well as normal jeans and shirt.

It is an automatic and the reserve holds about 2 days. Also I can wind it up manually and the date can be adjusted indepently of the time.