Photo

Hyper-v 3 guest machines

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 jonduc

jonduc

Neowinian

Posted 05 February 2013 - 22:16

I have been working as an IT admin in a university and know the situation regarding budgets...:)
For old processors you are better off using the free VMware Server 2.0. It works on stone age processors whereas the newer VMware Workstations, ESXi and Hyper-V require newer CPUs. You can check the processor specs worst case there are lists online. But VMware Server is just as good and runs even on dual cores

#17 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:00

I have been working as an IT admin in a university and know the situation regarding budgets... :)
For old processors you are better off using the free VMware Server 2.0. It works on stone age processors whereas the newer VMware Workstations, ESXi and Hyper-V require newer CPUs. You can check the processor specs worst case there are lists online. But VMware Server is just as good and runs even on dual cores

Actually, Hyper-V Server (or Windows Server 2008 and newer) will work on any computer that supports x64 flavors of Windows.

Unlike Windows 8 (which requires EPT/SLAT to use Hyper-V) Windows Server didn't, and still doesn't - even with Server 2012. (That is why I use Server 2012 Standard in my virtualization lab - no SLAT support in the Q6600.)

Why Server 2012 (instead of Hyper-V Server)? The GUI VM management tools - period. If I were comfortable using PowerShell for VM creation and management, I'd stick with Hyper-V Server.

So who told you that load of BS?

#18 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:07

Why Server 2012 (instead of Hyper-V Server)? The GUI VM management tools - period. If I were comfortable using PowerShell for VM creation and management, I'd stick with Hyper-V Server.

I was the same, You just add them to a windows 8 computer using the server manager and you can use the hyperv tools as if you were on the full gui version.

#19 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:08

I have a Q6600 and installed Hyper-V 2012 yesterday?

I gave up after though as I didn't want to add my Windows 8 PC to my test domain just to get the tools.

#20 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:11

The earliest machine I could find at work that would take Hyper-V 2012 was a Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83Ghz) on Intel X38 Express Chipset. Some older C2D/C2Q CPU's support it but the chipsets don't.
On AMD, Phenom or newer seems fine (I run a Phenom X4 2.2Ghz B3 at home with Server 2012 & Hyper-V 2012) but I hear B2 steppings and earlier are broken by mistake.

Actually any Core 2 Quad will, as *all* support at least VT-x - the same is true of most Core 2 Duos (E6xxx/E8xxx and above) and *all* Celeron DC E3xxx (again, all the preceding support VT-x) as long as the chipset is from Intel's 3-series or newer (the exception, weirdly enough, is G31 - AKA Bear Lake; G41 - AKA Eagle Lake, the successor to Bear Lake, explicitly supports VT-x) - my Windows 8 computer dual-boots Server 2012 (which is the core of my virtualization lab) because of no SLAT support in the Q6600.

I was the same, You just add them to a windows 8 computer using the server manager and you can use the hyperv tools as if you were on the full gui version.

If I were running i5-3570K (which supports SLAT) I'd simply run Hyper-V in Windows 8; however, due to lack of SLAT/EPT with Q6600, I need a server OS, and my choices were Server 2008 or newer or Hyper-V Server. (I don't have a second box.)