Photo

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 13 December 2012 - 18:55

I had about 10 updates to install. I updated them all at once and a reboot was required (Windows 8 Pro WMC 64bit). After rebooting the system got to where it showed a DVI connector in the left top corner of the screen and would never get to the lock screen.

After several reimaging and installing patches separately, I narrowed it down to the KB2761465 update patch causing the issue.

This is an IE10 cumulative update. Not real sure what the problem is. I really don't want to hide the update.

Any suggestions out there to get by this?

TIA

#2 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 13 December 2012 - 20:27

Umm, this Internet forum is the wrong place to post Windows specific problems...

#3 Brandon C.

Brandon C.

[REDACTED]

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 December 2012 - 20:40

Moved to Windows Discussion and Support.

#4 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 13 December 2012 - 20:54

That's funny. A hotfix to fix a log in problem.

#5 cluberti

cluberti

Neowinian

Posted 13 December 2012 - 22:42

That seems odd, as no IE binaries are loaded during startup. How did you narrow it down to this update specifically? It doesn't make sense that an IE update breaks your video, as again no IE binaries that are updated are even loaded during boot. I guess anything is possible, but an IE update doesn't touch anything you use on boot....

#6 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 13 December 2012 - 22:59

I got exactly this problem too in the morning, there was no way to start up my laptop, had to do system restore to recover it...

#7 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 December 2012 - 23:09

That's funny. A hotfix to fix a log in problem.

Yeah, sort of ironic. I hope they get it fixed soon.

#8 OP Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 13 December 2012 - 23:24

That seems odd, as no IE binaries are loaded during startup. How did you narrow it down to this update specifically? It doesn't make sense that an IE update breaks your video, as again no IE binaries that are updated are even loaded during boot. I guess anything is possible, but an IE update doesn't touch anything you use on boot....

First off: I image nightly.

There was about 12 patches. I installed 50% and no problem, Installed the other 50% and the problem started. I then narrowed it down from there until I found the one (KB2761465) causing the problem.

I then imaged back, installed all the patches minus the KB2761465 patch, and no problem. I install the last patch (KB2761465), rebooted, and the problem came back.

I then imaged back. Installed only the KB2761465 patch, hiding the remaining, and the problem returned on reboot.

I then imaged back, hide the KB2761465 patch, installed all the remaining patches, and that's where I,m at right now.

#9 cluberti

cluberti

Neowinian

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:21

Interesting indeed. I have that hotfix installed on multiple machines without issue, so perhaps there's something in common with the folks on this thread above and beyond their use of Windows 8? Hardware or drivers perhaps?

#10 OP Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:40

Maybe, but I'm not sure where to start because it happens just prior to the lock screen opening. It appears to be video related? The DVI icon in the top left disappears for a second then reappears, in a loop. I have cursor use.

My Video card is a: ATI Radeon HD 4830

#11 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:03

Sounds like a video driver issue, go into safe mode and uninstall your video driver, boot to normal, find the latest drivers and reload.

#12 UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder

My Spine Is The Bassline

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:10

I have KB2761465 installed. No issues at all.

HP Pavilion 23-b010
6GB Ram
AMD Radeon HD 7340
Windows 8, 64-bit

#13 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:51

Sounds like a video driver issue, go into safe mode and uninstall your video driver, boot to normal, find the latest drivers and reload.

Got myself the very latest driver, why would this update affect my video driver? that's just plain no testing from their part.

#14 cluberti

cluberti

Neowinian

Posted 16 December 2012 - 00:08

Should Microsoft now test every update with every driver revision from every major hardware manufacturer? I guess I am getting to understand more and more why Microsoft is getting into the device business.

As to the problem, I am curious what speccy or msinfo says about the hardware / drivers in people's machines. The OS code does not change from one user to the next, so a logical place to start would be hardware/driver config - and perhaps installed software if that doesn't help.

#15 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

Posted 16 December 2012 - 00:40

Should Microsoft now test every update with every driver revision from every major hardware manufacturer? I guess I am getting to understand more and more why Microsoft is getting into the device business.

As to the problem, I am curious what speccy or msinfo says about the hardware / drivers in people's machines. The OS code does not change from one user to the next, so a logical place to start would be hardware/driver config - and perhaps installed software if that doesn't help.

Not really, the update by itself should have nothing to do with the video driver... if it does, then it's just plain weird.