• Phone: Galaxy S II

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:41

I find no difference with games like Skyrim but maybe my GPU is now weak :p

#32 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 December 2012 - 23:09

Eh? Been a long time since I used windows but back when I did (xp/7) I never really remember many game crashes at all.

The issue isn't necessarily game crashes - but crashes elsewhere (especially drivers) bringing either the game or the OS to a screeching halt.

As good as Vista and 7 (especially x64) are in this area, Windows 8 Pro (x64) is even better.

It was that particularly surprising discovery that had me do the entirety of my participation in the Diablo III and GW2 betas on Windows 8's Consumer and Release Previews (no Windows 7-based testing at all).

Stability FTW - and this is especially true if you are a gamer.

#33 dtytfyiutiufg

dtytfyiutiufg

Neowinian

Posted 24 December 2012 - 23:14

I love Windows 8. It is rock solid and performance is always at least as good as Windows 7 if not better most of the time.

#34 soulburner

soulburner

Neowinian

Posted 26 December 2012 - 19:14

Crysis 2 doesn't work in DirectX 11 mode under Windows 8. The first run may work fine, but any further runs result in a weird wide window on the desktop, showing the game menu squashed in the center. When attempting to change resolution, the menu says "undefined". Pressing alt+tab takes you to full screen, but you get a very low resolution squashed game in the center. I don't think Crytek cares enough about Crysis 2 and/or Windows 8 to fix that. Bummer.

#35 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 26 December 2012 - 23:09

Crysis 2 doesn't work in DirectX 11 mode under Windows 8. The first run may work fine, but any further runs result in a weird wide window on the desktop, showing the game menu squashed in the center. When attempting to change resolution, the menu says "undefined". Pressing alt+tab takes you to full screen, but you get a very low resolution squashed game in the center. I don't think Crytek cares enough about Crysis 2 and/or Windows 8 to fix that. Bummer.

I think they launched an update to Crysis 2 in Windows 8... I only own Crysis 1 and Warhead on Steam so I can't confirm...

#36 +TCLN Ryster

TCLN Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 23:17

The only game I have problems with is Batman Arkham City, everything else works fine :)

Arkham City works fine in Windows 8. Did you update your GfWL client?

#37 watsxn

watsxn

Marketing/Graphic design/tech support

• Phone: windows phone 8, 8x htc

Posted 26 December 2012 - 23:28

love it. i play l4d2 all the time.

#38 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 December 2012 - 15:45

I think they launched an update to Crysis 2 in Windows 8... I only own Crysis 1 and Warhead on Steam so I can't confirm...

The issue was unique to the Preview versions of Windows 8 - I have a fully-updated Crysis 2 (1.9, DX11, and high-resolution texture patches) installed on my Pro x64 RTM Windows 8 and it runs just fine - albeit with a VERY hooptie (AMD HD5450 PCI-E for now) GPU (1280x720 @ 30 fps in DX11 High Settings) tag-teameed wwith a Q6600 and 4 GB of DDR2.

#39 muffinsyay

muffinsyay

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 December 2012 - 17:17

The only downside is the windows key doesn't get disabled in full screen games. It is really annoying to have the start screen come up in a game.

Performance wise it's the same.

#40 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 22:04

Some games that used to crash if you ALT+TAB'ed out or WinKey out seem to resume now (Unsure if OS or GFX card drivers), otherwise it's the same thusfar.

#41 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:05

Some games that used to crash if you ALT+TAB'ed out or WinKey out seem to resume now (Unsure if OS or GFX card drivers), otherwise it's the same thusfar.

Precisely, Aergan - Alt+Tab is a necessity if you ALSO have background tasks (such as IM clients or even Skype) running while you game. (And unless you are so obsessed that you kill every background task before launching a game, you WILL have background tasks, if not whole applications, running.)

Remember my mentioning that I'm running 8 Pro x64 on a Q6600, 4GB of DDR2, and an AMD HD5450? More often than not, I have a good dozen background tasks and applications - at minimum - running in addition to the game of the moment (something which would bring Windows 7 to a halt) - including both Yahoo Messenger and Skype (classic - not ModernUI).. Currently among those tasks are thirty-two tabs of Comodo Dragon, three of IE 10 desktop, Spotify, uTorrent, Kindle for Win32 Adobe Reader, and (as I said before) Yahoo Messenger and Skype for Win32. I have no qualms about merely switching away to play a game, because I know the OS can handle it.

THAT is stability, folks.

#42 devBrian

devBrian

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:20

HD4000 performance in Skyrim in Windows 7 = 45FPS outdoors, on medium settings. Unbelievable performance for this card.
On Windows 8 = 25FPS outdoors.

Probably a driver issue, but for now, W7 is my choice.

#43 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 06 January 2013 - 18:27

I will note that Crysis 2 works fine in DX11 mode on my 8 box now, so when or where or how it was fixed I do not know but it does work.

#44 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 20:09

Windows 8 is somehow considerable faster in some games that make heavy use of scripts, like Civilization IV.

I understand Civilisation is quite RAM intensive late game, and Windows 8 has introduced some significant RAM improvements, so that could be it?

#45 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 06 January 2013 - 20:14

HD4000 performance in Skyrim in Windows 7 = 45FPS outdoors, on medium settings. Unbelievable performance for this card.
On Windows 8 = 25FPS outdoors.

Probably a driver issue, but for now, W7 is my choice.

AMD only supports the HD5xxx series and above for Windows 8, so that could be a factor. More importantly, Skyrim is one of the easiest modern games to run - if you're getting less than 60fps at maximum settings then it's time to upgrade.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!