Why are most people so ignorant about the nurse's suicide?

Hmm, what the DJ's did was gain access to Royals via fraudulent means. They are, whether they like it or not, at blame here.

Exactly. They gained access to private medical information by impersonating - however poorly - members of the British Royal Family. Yet people would rather blame the victim because it makes them feel superior.

Pranks backfire all the time, sure this was in the public eye but if she killed herself over something like this then she clearly must have had something else wrong with her, you don't just leave behind a husband and kids because you're embarrassed. Not trying to defend the DJ's either because it was a dumb thing to do but they could never have expected something like this to happen.

Never a truer word spoken +1

Hmm, what the DJ's did was gain access to Royals via fraudulent means. They are, whether they like it or not, at blame here.

There are privacy laws in place for a reason. They should have never been given the information. That's why when you ring a company that has sensitive information about you, you are required to answer questions before the talk to you about your information.

That would be like blaming me if my bank didn't verify me. Utterly stupid.

Comments like yours really make me worry that people who think like you exist.

• Like 1

Pranks backfire all the time, sure this was in the public eye but if she killed herself over something like this then she clearly must have had something else wrong with her, you don't just leave behind a husband and kids because you're embarrassed. Not trying to defend the DJ's either because it was a dumb thing to do but they could never have expected something like this to happen.

EXACTLY!!

They're not going to jail and I have no idea why people can even think that

Again....EXACTLY!!! What would they go to prison for?? Making a phone call?

There are privacy laws in place for a reason. They should have never been given the information. That's why when you ring a company that has sensitive information about you, you are required to answer questions before the talk to you about your information.

That would be like blaming me if my bank didn't verify me. Utterly stupid.

Comments like yours really make me worry that people who think like you exist.

So always blame the victim?

• Like 1

The fact is that they phones up pretended to be the queen etc and the nurse in question put them through to someone who could properly deal with the enquiry. Nothing wrong was done here on either side.

It's just a shame it turned out bad for both sides.

I hope they go to jail and the station closes down. If you want to do a prank then keep it in line.

Sorry but this is an utterly ridiculous statement, seriously!

You're selfish for saying that. Not to mention, you don't know what any other person goes through.

Then, by definition, neither do you! Are you being selfish....?

So always blame the victim?

Because she killed HERSELF.

I've been pranked plenty of timed. Haven't tried to kill myself over it yet.

Talk about ignorant :s

The nurse/hospital/Royal family was a victim of a fraudulent act, whether it was a prank or not they were conned. As a direct result of this it caused a reaction which lead to the nurse taking her life. Do you still think the pranksters/fraudsters are innocent in this?

The nurse/hospital/Royal family was a victim of a fraudulent act, whether it was a prank or not they were conned. As a direct result of this it caused a reaction which lead to the nurse taking her life. Do you still think the pranksters/fraudsters are innocent in this?

You are completely wrong, all/most studies show that people who commit suicide have many more than one trigger before this happens, so it follows that, if it wasn't this incident, another completely unrelated incident could well have triggered a similar outcome!

Around the world, around one million people commit suicide each year, including more than 6,000 in the UK and Ireland, of whom around 1,500 are women and 4,500 men.

The factors that lead someone to take their own life are complex. There?s rarely one single trigger, although there may be an important 'last straw'.

People may be more vulnerable to suicide because of a genetic predisposition, personality trait or lack of support. In many suicides there has been a long history of mental health problems, the main ones being depression, eating disorders and schizophrenia. Relationship problems are also frequent factors expressed by women who have survived a suicide attempt or have admitted to considering suicide.

Other factors include physical illness (acute and chronic), alcohol and drug abuse, social isolation, housing, money and job problems. Even the phases of the moon have been implicated as having some effect on mood and acting on impulse. But one in five suicides, especially among the young, show no previous sign of emotional difficulties - just some sudden upset which they seemed unable to cope with.

The final straw may be the end of an important relationship, having to face up to debt or a court case, losing one?s home or job, or simply an event that stirs the emotions.

Of course they are. If she had done her job properly, the call would have never been transferred. The only ignorant thing is people thinking that this simple prank is what killed her. She was obviously mentally unstable.

Maybe we should blame her medial profession colleagues for not seeing the signs of her mental state.

You've been pranked by a public radio station and had your mistake exposed to tens/hundreds of millions of people around the world, with the prospect of losing your job while your personal life is invaded by the media and knowing the press will be camped outside your house for weeks or months? No? Then stop making ridiculous comparisons. We don't know what was going on in her personal life - all we do know is that the reckless and immature antics of these DJs pushed her over the edge and deprived two children of their mother. It's disgusting that you would use the suicide of this poor woman to proclaim your emotional superiority and to bolster your own ego.

It's sad that so many people choose to blame the victim.

• Like 2

It's never too late...:p

Anyway, I noticed that no one has considered that she may have been murdered....everyone's quick to blame her.

ef that.

She was married with KIDS... doesn't matter how old they were, she bailed on her family and even her patients as a nurse. She passed a phone call... oh the horror of millions of people not even knowing who she was while she played phone switch operator and put them on hold for the next person. I would figure that even though people outside the hospital didn't have a clue about her (and never would), her co-workers probably did, and who knows if there were threats or blackmail, etc, but still... to off yourself - go get another job, or suck it up.

There is a ton more to this story as like what she really said and did, and what was running through her mind before it happened, but one thing is certain, I have zero sympathy for anyone that kills themselves.

You've been pranked by a public radio station and had your mistake exposed to tens/hundreds of millions of people around the world, with the prospect of losing your job while your personal life is invaded by the media and knowing the press will be camped outside your house for weeks or months? No? Then stop making ridiculous comparisons. We don't know what was going on in her personal life - all we do know is that the reckless and immature antics of these DJs pushed her over the edge and deprived two children of their mother. It's disgusting that you would use the suicide of this poor woman to proclaim your emotional superiority and to bolster your own ego.

This is a fantastic post!

The ignorance of the people you are referring to only comes about because society has made them the "I can criticise anyone form the comfortability of my own desk" and "think im better than all" kind of people so there no surprise at that kind of behaviour your referencing. In a few words, its very sad and disgruntled and if heaven forbid this happened ot him I would love to see if the same reaction would come out!

Well done theyarecomingforyou

One less person to contaminate the gene pool. Thats all that needs to be said. I got no sympathy for anyone who takes their own life if its not to save others in the process.

The gene pool is already screwed with people like you in it. Maybe she killed herself because she couldn't take being surrounded by idiots any longer.

Except, she wasn't a victim of anything from what we know... and if you really insist on calling her that, then I suppose it's OK to not blame her for leaving at least three more victims (kids and husband)? It is a disservice to excuse a suicide in general, but passing blame to others based on her mental status and actions is outrageous.

I have zero sympathy for anyone that kills themselves.

How compassionate of you! And what about people who die of cancer or kidney disease? Because stress, depression and mental illness are recognised medical conditions. It doesn't sound like you have much sympathy for any other human being.

If all you want to do is insult the dead and proclaim your moral superiority then I have nothing more to say to you.

If it was the nurse of a random patient then it wouldn't have been broadcast on public radio, nor would there have been the same level of media scrutiny. It's simply not a comparable situation.

It is a comparable situation, because things like that have been aired on the radio before. For example, Galaxy Radio 105.4 (Now Real Radio North West...a UK station) used to have a feature at least every Sunday evening where the DJ would prank call companies or people pretending to be someone they aren't. For example, the DJ once rang Heinz to 'complain' and pretended to be an elderly woman suffering from gastric issues due to their beans. Clearly a joke, however should the woman who was dealing with their call take their own life, it would have barely made local news.

I feel worse for the DJ's. They shouldn't have to live with the guilt of causing someone to kill themselves. It was unforeseen that the outcome of the call was going to be death. MOST people don't off themselves when they get pranked on the phone, that's not normal behavior.

I agree. Its sad what happened but there was something more going on there. This nurse had something brewing up in that head of hers and this joke just broke the straw for her.

Its still very sad.

I feel worse for the DJ's. They shouldn't have to live with the guilt of causing someone to kill themselves. It was unforeseen that the outcome of the call was going to be death. MOST people don't off themselves when they get pranked on the phone, that's not normal behavior.

most normal people would respect others privacy and not try to obtain personal information about matters that are of no concern to them via means of deception, that in its self is a crime in most country's.

"stupid auzi prank"? a stupid act that backfired in a way they could not have for seen that much is true.

im sure the the royals involved were LOL'ing when the news broke. /s

I feel awful for her family, but she was a weak individual and already had psychological problems if this is all it took to get her to take her own life. She left her children behind. Selfish bitch.

The DJs did nothing wrong. I can't believe people are calling the prank "cruel." It shouldn't have hurt anyone like this. No one could have seen this coming.

I feel awful for her family, but she was a weak individual and already had psychological problems if this is all it took to get her to take her own life. She left her children behind. Selfish bitch.

The DJs did nothing wrong. I can't believe people are calling the prank "cruel." It shouldn't have hurt anyone like this. No one could have seen this coming.

As I've said before the nurse was Indian and came from a different culture. You can't just assume that everyone one is westernized to our stupid culture and knows how to take embarrassment like this.