Anyone used Sabayon 9/10?

I personally used to be a huge fan of Sabayon back when it was at version 4/5 and remember it very well for it's hilarious update system of adding in a load of crap you didn't have or need like 2GB of wi-fi drivers!

Anyway that aside it was a pretty awesome distro in my opinion and introduced me to world of goo (which is a great game).

So I've just been to the sabayon site (ironically to find the catchy music that used to be in the sabayon 4/5 installer) and see they're on to version 10 now, and the features are really starting to interest me, skipping gnome 3.6 and sticking with gnome 3.4, official support for MATE and comes using the gentoo hardened profile by default...

As I've got a measly 500MB of free space left after installing quartus 2 there's no way I can try it so I'm wondering if anyone has tried it or has updated to it and what their verdict is on it? And if you've also used arch, any comparisons? :p

Thanks!

(https://sabayon.org if you'd like to check it out)

I tried it (sabayon 10 gnome) on one of my laptops, didn't really like it. For some reason the boot time was crazy slow, by far the slowest I've seen on any linux distro I've used on that laptop, and I've used many, and the preinstalled software selection is rather bloated. The new package manager was nice though. The only real similarity sabayon has to arch is that its rolling release, their philosophies are very different, arch is very light and only has what you choose to install, sabayon throws in everything but the kitchen sink. I used arch for quite a while and liked it well, but recently moved back to ubuntu.

If you really want to stick with gnome 3.4 (which is something I can understand, gnome 3.6 is probably the buggiest gnome release I've ever used :/) then quite honestly I recommend ubuntu 12.04 which has 5 years of support. for officially supported mate there's always linux mint.

What makes it different from other Linux distros? Elementary OS looks much better and beautiful than this.

What makes it different from other Linux distros? Elementary OS looks much better and beautiful than this.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to install something that looks like that clumbsy mac osx.

Fair enough I bet they have put a LOT of work into making it but really, I still to this day cannot see the point.

• Like 1

I cannot understand why anyone would want to install something that looks like that clumbsy mac osx.

Fair enough I bet they have put a LOT of work into making it but really, I still to this day cannot see the point.

Well, it feels more stable and beautiful than other linux distros ( Arch user here ), I know it looks like OSX but again, its a really beautiful rip off, not half baked copy. Its the only Distro i can recommend to an average joe. Its really good for everyday use. \

There is an article about Sabayon 9 in this months Linux User

Ah nice just looked that up, thanks! Sites not working so looked at the google cache of it, solid 4 out of 5 for the KDE version then! :p.

I love how the first comment is someone bitching that it's not gentoo...

I got my feet wet in Gentoo with Sabayon years ago. Basically it was just used to learn emerge and as an experiment with compiling. I suppose they aim for Gentoo optimization but with most applications out of the box and ready to go. It isn't bad, but I would rather just use Gentoo itself and build what I need from the ground up. The news feed is piped in bash, and the devs do use this to communicate with users. I always thought that was neat. After trying the latest version I would probably say it is on par with the top KDE distros (openSUSE and Kubuntu). I did not try Gnome, but I assume it would be like a bloated Gentoo install with Gnome. :p

Well, it feels more stable and beautiful than other linux distros ( Arch user here ), I know it looks like OSX but again, its a really beautiful rip off, not half baked copy. Its the only Distro i can recommend to an average joe. Its really good for everyday use. \

Beautiful? I don't know about that. It does nothing for me. I know the Devs have put a lot of work into that OS. But it doesn't even work well for everyone. I'll continue trying the new releases as always, same as I do with most of the *buntu release, including Ultimate Edition, but other then that, I will most certainly pass.

Beautiful? I don't know about that. It does nothing for me. I know the Devs have put a lot of work into that OS. But it doesn't even work well for everyone. I'll continue trying the new releases as always, same as I do with most of the *buntu release, including Ultimate Edition, but other then that, I will most certainly pass.

Different people, different taste.