Searching Google from the omnibar in Chrome error

Question

For some reason I've started getting this annoying error where if I type a query into the omnibar (with Google being the default search provider) it just takes me to a blank page with the Google header at the top, and it downloads a blank file called "search." I can still search Google if I type into an existing Google page, but searching straight from omnibar no longer works. Very annoying.

1 answer to this question

For some reason I've started getting this annoying error where if I type a query into the omnibar (with Google being the default search provider) it just takes me to a blank page with the Google header at the top, and it downloads a blank file called "search." I can still search Google if I type into an existing Google page, but searching straight from omnibar no longer works. Very annoying.

Unsure about the root of the problem as I have never faced this before. However, I would right click the omnibar and click on "Edit search engines" to check if the url indicating currently selected search engine points to www.google.com. This is possibly because of some program which got installed while you were installing some other software. If the "Edit search engines" page shows some other search engine selected as default, I would change that to google.