Best 802.11n 5ghz router?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:20

Well my lovely isp Cox... decided to start enforcing data caps. So I need a new router to replace my beloved Apple Airport Extreme (have no issues with this). A router that does 802.11n in 5ghz and 2.4ghz mode, so dual band. But one thing that I'm looking for, is one that has a firmware that lets me monitor bandwidth usage, or just tools in general. Sad I have to keep track of things like that, but it seems to be the case now :(.

So if anyone has any suggestions? I really don't care what brand, as long as its good and performance is top. I've been using the Apple routers for years now, so no idea whats the next best thing.

#2 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Windows Embedded Standard 8 & Server 2012/08 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:32

IMO all consumer routers are rubbish, Go for something like an referb/end-of-life cisco access point like the Cisco Aironet 1250

They're light years ahead of the junk on the market today with vlans + multiple ssid and support the management you are looking for using snmp.

Posted Image

#3 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:37

Well my lovely isp Cox... decided to start enforcing data caps. So I need a new router to replace my beloved Apple Airport Extreme (have no issues with this). A router that does 802.11n in 5ghz and 2.4ghz mode, so dual band. But one thing that I'm looking for, is one that has a firmware that lets me monitor bandwidth usage, or just tools in general. Sad I have to keep track of things like that, but it seems to be the case now :(.

So if anyone has any suggestions? I really don't care what brand, as long as its good and performance is top. I've been using the Apple routers for years now, so no idea whats the next best thing.

I'm in the same leaky rowboat, albeit for a far different reason - my ISP (Comcast)-supplied single-band N router is acting cornflakey (after a milk bath) and needs to be replaced.

Like you, I'm looking dual-band N (though I have only a single wireless-G resident device - Mom's laptop, currently) with all-gigabit LAN/WAN (the current router has that, so why backstep)

My current finalists:

1. Netgear WNDR3700 and all progeny thereof - The NETGEAR WNDR3700 was designed to compete heads-up with the old flagship Linksys prosumer WRT6xxN, and has no less than seven progeny; the latest is the 450mbps bi-directional (by that I mean up to 450 mbps in each direction wirelessly on the 5 GHz band) WNDR4500, which can be found at under $200 both online and brick-and-mortar. The entire family also supports IPv6 (via either factory firmware or third-party optional firmware, such as DD-WRT/OpenWRT). Even better, you can find factory-refurbished versions of the WNDR3700 for under $100.

2. LinksysByCisco EA2700 - No USB support, but all the other features for a growing LAN, including dual-band and all-gigabit LAN/WAN ports; like the WNDR3700, it can be found under $100.

#4 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:49

Your ISP should have a website to log onto to see how much traffic has been used up - I know where I live it is just a matter of logging in and it tells you the amount with only a slight delay between usage and recorded.

#5 OP Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

Posted 14 December 2012 - 14:56

Your ISP should have a website to log onto to see how much traffic has been used up - I know where I live it is just a matter of logging in and it tells you the amount with only a slight delay between usage and recorded.

It does, but it doesn't help me manage which device/user is using the most bandwidth. Right now I'm tracking it like a hawk, and noticing insane amounts of bw being used even tho no one is using their computers/devices much. (Yes my wifi is secure :p).

#6 watkinsx2

watkinsx2

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC One/Lumia 920

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:09

Asus RT-N66U allows you to monitor bandwidth. Also - you could get router that supports tomato usb firmware which also does this.

#7 mathewsmt

mathewsmt

Neowinian

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:11

Asus RT-AC66R

Link

I have this router for the last 3 months and will say so far the best.. I use this to stream large movies to my tv from my Mac and PC and no issues even for 1080 movies (large files).

#8 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:13

It does, but it doesn't help me manage which device/user is using the most bandwidth. Right now I'm tracking it like a hawk, and noticing insane amounts of bw being used even tho no one is using their computers/devices much. (Yes my wifi is secure :p).

IIRC Draytek's firmware is pretty sophisticated or you could choose a router that is supported by DD-WRT.

#9 Evolution

Evolution

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2012 - 15:54

I'm in the same leaky rowboat, albeit for a far different reason - my ISP (Comcast)-supplied single-band N router is acting cornflakey (after a milk bath) and needs to be replaced.

Like you, I'm looking dual-band N (though I have only a single wireless-G resident device - Mom's laptop, currently) with all-gigabit LAN/WAN (the current router has that, so why backstep)

My current finalists:

1. Netgear WNDR3700 and all progeny thereof - The NETGEAR WNDR3700 was designed to compete heads-up with the old flagship Linksys prosumer WRT6xxN, and has no less than seven progeny; the latest is the 450mbps bi-directional (by that I mean up to 450 mbps in each direction wirelessly on the 5 GHz band) WNDR4500, which can be found at under $200 both online and brick-and-mortar. The entire family also supports IPv6 (via either factory firmware or third-party optional firmware, such as DD-WRT/OpenWRT). Even better, you can find factory-refurbished versions of the WNDR3700 for under $100.

2. LinksysByCisco EA2700 - No USB support, but all the other features for a growing LAN, including dual-band and all-gigabit LAN/WAN ports; like the WNDR3700, it can be found under $100.

I have the WNDR3700 and it's ok... it's just that the 5 GHz mode is pretty weak and it has to be reset occasionally to work properly. And of course sometimes when they updated firmware they introduced new or older problems.

#10 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• Phone: Android

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:49

AMPED WIRELESS R2, forget the rest go with the best!

http://www.ampedwire....html#downloads

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:50

Any linksys combined with tomato, best coverage and best firmware.

#12 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:55

Asus RT-N66U allows you to monitor bandwidth. Also - you could get router that supports tomato usb firmware which also does this.

I have the N56U and that only lets you see what bandwidth is being used, but not what is using it. With a lot of devices it would get confusing trying to figure out which one is using bandwidth.

That said, the N66U might have improved firmware. Just wanted to point that out anyway :p

#13 OP Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:55

Tell you one thing, these routers are like 3x the size of the Airport, and all have stupid antennas sticking out. Is there anything that doesn't have any of those?

#14 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:03

Tell you one thing, these routers are like 3x the size of the Airport, and all have stupid antennas sticking out. Is there anything that doesn't have any of those?

Asus RT-N56U is a fairly small black diamond shape without external antennas, but like I said it doesn't show you which clients are using bandwidth. Although you can see whether bandwidth is being used on the 2.4/5GHz bands or through Ethernet.

#15 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:26

Another vote for RT-N56U. Using it since 2 years. Go for RT-N66U if you have triple wifi antenna support in your laptop or PC.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!