Best 802.11n 5ghz router?

The DD-WRT version's range is worse... Right now I'm using OpenWRT and it's so far the best option.... but 5 GHz still isn't really an option.

The v4 doesn't support DD-WRT (different/newer Atheros chipset than even the v3) - however, I had nary a problem setting up the 5 GHz network to use a different SSID (that is, in fact, the default with the v4 - no idea if that is the case with older versions). I have Mom's smart TV (the only 5 GHz supporting wireless device) on that network by itself (different SSID also equals different passphrase - makes for better intrusion detection, too), and it's two floors up. Connects better than it did to the WNR3500v1 it replaced (however, the older router had no 5 GHz support).

I definitely like the RT-N56U. But I'd go for an AC router if I was buying now.

The issue *there* is why would you need the support for .ac now - if you have nothing that supports the protocol. (Basically, it's the same issue that faced N while it was in draft form - classic chicken-and-egg.)

I didn't have to face that justification with the WNR3500, as Comcast (my ISP) supplied the router - the TV purchase, in fact, post-dates the router's arrival in the house by two years.

The gigabit support (wired PCs and Macs) is, in fact, the biggest reason I give for buying a new(er) router today, followed by (in order) support for multiple bands/SSIDs (at minimum, dual-band N support) followed by .ac support (in addition to - not instead of - dual-band N and gigabit wired support).

If you have recent (merely Vista-vintage, if not newer) PCs and Leopard or later Macs, the chances of your device NOT supporting wired gigabit are lower than the average January temperature in International Falls, MN - in degrees Farenheit.

Laptops and notebooks, along with MacBooks - Air or Pro - of similar vintage? N is a given.

.ac support? What devices support built-in .ac today? Is that support in addition to, or instead of N support?

.ac support is where draft N used to be - primarily a desire, and a pricey/expensive one. Don't overbuy.

The issue *there* is why would you need the support for .ac now - if you have nothing that supports the protocol.

Why wouldn't I? I could get cards that supported the protocol for my existing equipment.

If I was buying today I'd get an AC router, because you almost never replace a working router...the cards can come later. Fortunately I'm not.

And yes, AC is on top of N, just like N is on top of everything else. 5ghz instead of 2.4 though.

In case anyone cares, went with the Asus RT-N66U and put the Merlin firmware on it, has per device monitoring which is ACE!!! Loving the router so far, Time machine support isn't there, so that sucks. I still am using my airport extreme only for a time machine hub heh.

Why wouldn't I? I could get cards that supported the protocol for my existing equipment.

If I was buying today I'd get an AC router, because you almost never replace a working router...the cards can come later. Fortunately I'm not.

And yes, AC is on top of N, just like N is on top of everything else. 5ghz instead of 2.4 though.

When it comes to wireless protocols, draft newer protocols are *pricier* than existing protocols - hence my referring to the checken-and-egg situation and the days of draft-N.