Best 802.11n 5ghz router?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:50

The issue *there* is why would you need the support for .ac now - if you have nothing that supports the protocol.

Why wouldn't I? I could get cards that supported the protocol for my existing equipment.

If I was buying today I'd get an AC router, because you almost never replace a working router...the cards can come later. Fortunately I'm not.

And yes, AC is on top of N, just like N is on top of everything else. 5ghz instead of 2.4 though.

#32 OP Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:00

In case anyone cares, went with the Asus RT-N66U and put the Merlin firmware on it, has per device monitoring which is ACE!!! Loving the router so far, Time machine support isn't there, so that sucks. I still am using my airport extreme only for a time machine hub heh.

#33 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:08

Give Tomato a whirl on it, you'll love it

#34 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:38

http://lifehacker.co...rnet-connection

Could probably modify that to get bandwidtch stats.

#35 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:57

Why wouldn't I? I could get cards that supported the protocol for my existing equipment.

If I was buying today I'd get an AC router, because you almost never replace a working router...the cards can come later. Fortunately I'm not.

And yes, AC is on top of N, just like N is on top of everything else. 5ghz instead of 2.4 though.

When it comes to wireless protocols, draft newer protocols are *pricier* than existing protocols - hence my referring to the checken-and-egg situation and the days of draft-N.