Install adaway this kills data use by ads and the like ^^

Yea or AdFree - but the phone would need rooting first

#17 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:34

As said previously, turn off the FB auto-sync features. If she's on 4.x she can set a cap in the phone to stop it going over the allowance (afaik)

#18 OP Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:34

I doubt it will be the SIM... It must be the phone. For some reason it's devouring data like it's nobodies business.

I'd suggest installing a logging app if the phone is rooted to see what exactly is going on. Otherwise I'm not sure what to suggest. :s

Her phone isn't rooted i'm afraid.

You sure she doesn't play things like that farmville thing

Positive.

You could also set the browser to make plugins/addons (ie. flash) be "Ask Only" as in they will not just load every banner and advert / video that is on the page unless you click the ? on the flash placeholder

How does she do that?

Also seahorsepip - it says her device needs to be rooted for that. She doesn't want to root.

It's looking like this is going to be an unexplained complicated matter :( Hope we can get a solution as she really likes the phone, but am not getting a good vibe over this one. Nothing seems to be working. Facebook as has already been said - has damn near every auto thing turned OFF.

#19 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:40

Positive. How does she do that?

Goto Browser Settings > Web Content > Addons > Set it as "On Demand" or something similar to that

It's looking like this is going to be an unexplained complicated matter :( Hope we can get a solution as she really likes the phone, but am not getting a good vibe over this one. Nothing seems to be working. Facebook as has already been said - has damn near every auto thing turned OFF.

Try uninstalling the facebook app and reinstalling it

Or when shes not using it, goto Settings > Apps > Disable Facebook

#20 hobsgrg

hobsgrg

Neowinian Elite

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:43

Explain that please.

At the time it was released, would you call the iPhone 3GS a high end phone? I would.
Would you call the iPhone 4S a high end phone? I would. Ok it may not be the biggest & baddest out there right now, but when it was released...

And as i said, i don't come anywhere near the 500mb allowance. Neither did my wife when she was running her iPhone 3GS.

So again ...... i'm at a loss as to what relevance your statement has?? It was ok before & after for me. It was ok before for her, but with the Galaxy S3 it's not. Her day-to-day usage hasn't increased, therefore it has to be something within the SGS3's makeup.

A 500Mb allowance is a very small these days which is what they were referring to. A modern smartphone makes it extremely easy to use way more than this and to use it to the maximum you'd need more than that

#21 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:59

A 500Mb allowance is a very small these days which is what they were referring to. A modern smartphone makes it extremely easy to use way more than this and to use it to the maximum you'd need more than that

Agreed, I have my Lumia on wifi and dread to think what I would use if it was on a data plan, Live tiles, background apps that update, email on push, always using the browser, always downloading new apps, streaming video

A smartphone without the internet is a dumbphone, half of my apps only work if there is a connection, probably more than half

#22 Aasum

Aasum

Neowinian

Posted 15 December 2012 - 00:09

I have an S3 and only have 200mb but at home it is on wifi and the same at work. I got facebook on mine to and it has only used 2.03MB in the last 6 days.

#23 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 15 December 2012 - 00:20

How much of the Facebook data is used when the app is in the background? compared to the foreground?
If the majority of it is in the foreground then its her looking at photos / video i would guess, if its the background its Facebook syncing something.

You could try re installing the app and see if that helps, the usage does appear a little high.

In the last week i've used about 50mb on Facebook, that's 100% on 3g, watching videos and generally not caring about how much data it uses.

Posted Image

#24 +BeLGaRaTh

BeLGaRaTh

Been here since year .

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 15 December 2012 - 00:23

swap phones and then check after a month, if the data has mysteriously swapped around you know that it is something to do with FB or whatever your missus is doing with the phone.

I have an S3 here and never have anything like that, it looks like a user problem rather than the phone. I have data on contantly and watch a bit on the sky app and have nowhere near as much data usage as that!!

If not just jib facebook off, its **** anyway :)

#25 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

Posted 15 December 2012 - 00:31

How much of the Facebook data is used when the app is in the background? compared to the foreground?
If the majority of it is in the foreground then its her looking at photos / video i would guess, if its the background its Facebook syncing something.

You could try re installing the app and see if that helps, the usage does appear a little high.

In the last week i've used about 50mb on Facebook, that's 100% on 3g, watching videos and generally not caring about how much data it uses.

Posted Image

Unrelated to the OP's question, but which ROM has this app?

I ask because I'm on the Paranoid Android JB 4.1.2 ROM and I don't have this?

#26 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 15 December 2012 - 00:58

Unrelated to the OP's question, but which ROM has this app?

I ask because I'm on the Paranoid Android JB 4.1.2 ROM and I don't have this?

the stock 4.0.4 rom has it

i just looked at my facebook data and within 15days 119 meg, but then again thats a mix of wifi and mobile and i dont touch it much, id say ur wifes usage just needs to change or u need a better plan as also.

177meg used in 19days facebook being the highest also the facebook app runs different and is designed different to its ios counterparts so it may chew mroe data

#27 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:05

She's just used 3MB while the phone was sat on the sofa, mobile data turned off, WiFi turned on.

If your mobile data is climbing while it's turned off, something's amiss with either her phone or the usage monitoring. Some networks in the UK have usage meters that you can check online at their end. I'd see if yours does and compare their data with yours. If the values are roughly equal, it's the phone (or the network) screwing up. If it's wildly different, it's likely the way the phone monitors usage. Either way it could suggest a problem with the phone.

For what it's worth, my mobile data usage for Facebook is about 5MB since the start of the month.

When you look at the apps running in the background once everything has been shut down, there's LOADS. Settings alone was listed as 45MB. Facebook was 18MB. Swiftkey3 was 20+MB. Will this make a difference - all this background work, or is that nothing to do with mobile data & more to do with processor hogging or whatever?

Thats process RAM usage. Unrelated.

If she likes the phone, it might be worth taking it back and replacing it with the same model. If it starts happening again, it could be a network issue. As a first step though, it might just be worth turning it off and on again, I don't know if it'd help, but it's worth a shot.

#28 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:18

You seriously bought a highend phone and then paired it up with the budget data plan? Rather illogical move to be honest.

Anyway, how much of facebook's auto-sync stuff do you have turned on? If it's all turned on it'll likely use quite a bit of data.

Whaaa? Budget data plan? The 200 and 300MB is a budget data plan. I would be swimming in 500MB/month! Some people who have wifi at work and at home don't really use much data day in and day out...

#29 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:25

I have never kept my mobile on at all times. I turn mine on and off via a widget on my home screen. Plus, I keep auto-sync turned off. I can manually do what I need to do.

#30 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• Phone: BB9930/SGSIII

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:35

My FB data usage isn't much at all on my S3. I have everything turned off and I don't upload many pics. I think last month the pics that I did upload were done while I was on WiFi. Also I think having a 300 MB plan is fine, but unfortunately you have to watch your data usage on any modern droid or apple phone while only having a 300 MB limit.

Attached Images

• Screenshot_2012-12-14-21-28-52.png
  • Screenshot_2012-12-14-21-27-00.png

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!