On verge of selling S3 - too much data being used. Help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#31 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:44

I know that this isn't a real solution, per se, but when my data plan was on 500MB I found myself constantly getting reminders that I was about to hit my limit at around the 20th of each month, and that was including me switching to Wifi whenever possible. Then I upgraded my limit to the unlimited package (10GB) for pretty much nothing, and I don't even think about my usage now. I even tether my 3G connection to my laptop and browse semi-normally, and I've not hit my limit or even received a warning.
As I said, this isn't a real solution, but it isn't all that expensive to increase your data limit these days.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I notice you said that she always switches to Wifi when it's available. Does she also turn off her 3G data when she isn't using her phone? It can be a tough and self-limiting practice to start, but at least it may limit the data usage of the apps until we can figure out what is causing the bizarre amount of data being used.

Finally, is there a particular reason that she doesn't want to root the phone? Once rooted there are loads of other solutions we could look in to, such as installing a custom ROM and seeing if it makes a difference.

#32 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:02

the stock 4.0.4 rom has it

I see... looks like a pretty useful app, dunno why some custom ROM devs remove it, the paranoid JellyBean ROM dev, for example.

#33 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:53

I'd also contact your network operator/cell carrier to see if these figures are actually LEGITIMATE. It might be possible that things are getting a little mixed up and Facebook isn't entirely using what the phone says it's using. Just an idea.

#34 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:07

If you want to stop worrying about your Web usage, I recommend Three. All these have unlimited data:

Ultimate Internet SIM 200 1 month
200 minutes, 5000 texts, £12.90 p/m

Ultimate Internet SIM 600 12 months
600 minutes, 5000 texts, £15.90 p/m

Ultimate Internet SIM 600 1 month
600 minutes, 5000 texts, £18.90 p/m

The One Plan 1 month SIM
2000 minutes, 5000 texts, 5000 Three-to-Three minutes, £25 p/m

#35 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:17

I see... looks like a pretty useful app, dunno why some custom ROM devs remove it, the paranoid JellyBean ROM dev, for example.

I'm using Paranoid JB4.1.2 on my note and its not an app in app drawer, its in settings under wifi.

#36 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:42

Remove facebook from the device for a week and see if it really is the culprit.

ID say remove it for good, best thing I ever did was de-activate my facebook account.

#37 +Wannes

Wannes

iCommand ⌘

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:47

You guys are lucky to have such data plans. Down here they would not be affordable .. 10GB!

#38 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:50

I'm using Paranoid JB4.1.2 on my note and its not an app in app drawer, its in settings under wifi.

Weird, I don't have it, and that's where I looked for it :pinch:

#39 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:51

hows that coming along?, my notes still at stock ICS and was toying with rooting & Paranoid.

#40 OP Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 15 December 2012 - 18:08

Really, the first round of "delete facebook" "facebook is rubbish" comments i just ignored, but they're coming a bit more frequent now

In short - don't waste your time as these comments don't help. She wont be deleting her facebook account any time soon. You don't like facebook? That's fine. You deleted your account? That's fine. This isn't you though, it's her & she wants to keep hers. End of.

How much of the Facebook data is used when the app is in the background? compared to the foreground?
If the majority of it is in the foreground then its her looking at photos / video i would guess, if its the background its Facebook syncing something.

She's tried uninstalling & re-installing to see if that will make a difference.

To answer your question, she doesn't view any videos & doesn't view many photos. She doesn't 'click on' the photos when they're in her news feed as they're generally big enough to see anyway. Here's the figures:

Facebook:

Mobile data from 1st Dec (when she topped up)...

Foreground: 114MB
Background: 9.90MB

As for over WiFi....

F/G: 22.96MB
B/G: 6.93MB

This info help you guys any?

I should point out that while her phone is connected via WiFi at home, she generally uses her Galaxy Tab for the net & Facebook at home.

#41 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 December 2012 - 18:11

hows that coming along?, my notes still at stock ICS and was toying with rooting & Paranoid.

Was a bit paranoid (pardon the pun) about going to Jellybean as ICS kernels have a bug that could damage the ROM if you did a factory reset, flashed a 'safe' kernel and its been running like a champ, very smooth and not had any stability issues.

#42 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 15 December 2012 - 19:36

Remove facebook from the device for a week and see if it really is the culprit.

ID say remove it for good, best thing I ever did was de-activate my facebook account.

Ignoring the last sentence, I would recommend doing the same thing. Not permanently, just short term while you make sure that the application is definitely the culprit. The idea of getting rid of Facebook for good is an individual decision, no one should be telling you that.

You guys are lucky to have such data plans. Down here they would not be affordable .. 10GB!

This might be digressing, but I would be interested to hear how much your data plans are going for. 10GB around here aren't exactly cheap, but I would not call them expensive. My job doesn't pay huge amounts and yet I don't mind paying a bit extra for an "unlimited" data plan.

#43 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 15 December 2012 - 20:19

I have facebook on my S3 will full push notifications and don't have anywhere near that kind of data usage. You sure she's not just on facebook all day? I mean it seems plausable to me since her internet usage is over 100MB as well which means she DOES do a lot of browsing.

#44 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 15 December 2012 - 20:30

Really, the first round of "delete facebook" "facebook is rubbish" comments i just ignored, but they're coming a bit more frequent now

In short - don't waste your time as these comments don't help. She wont be deleting her facebook account any time soon. You don't like facebook? That's fine. You deleted your account? That's fine. This isn't you though, it's her & she wants to keep hers. End of.
She's tried uninstalling & re-installing to see if that will make a difference.

To answer your question, she doesn't view any videos & doesn't view many photos. She doesn't 'click on' the photos when they're in her news feed as they're generally big enough to see anyway. Here's the figures:

Yeah 114 MB foreground, which means that is data consumed while the app is open with her actively using it, background data is for push notifications etc... So she's on Facebook a lot on her phone by the looks of it. You can't blame the phone for that.

#45 typu

typu

Neowinian

Posted 15 December 2012 - 20:34

with so much foreground data she is using facebook intensively. i hardly believe that there is any malfunctioning of the phone. if it was background data, ok, but foreground? if she keeps her using pattern then she better upgrades her data plan.