On verge of selling S3 - too much data being used. Help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#46 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 December 2012 - 20:41

Comparing her baseline usage with yours is a bit fallacious when you're likely to have different usage patterns. I've never seen any real evidence that Android phones are any worse than any other for data usage. You want to do a real world comparison then get a fully wiped S3 and follow the same usage pattern you would on your iPhone and then compare the situations.

#47 dancedar

dancedar

Neowinian

Posted 15 December 2012 - 21:00

You've posted that it's foreground FB app usage by way of it using lots of date in the screenshot and sync is turned off...she's using the app. Maybe it's downloading upon opening new updates and/or photos people have posted, that's how the new one gets photos to appear so fast. But really it's nothing to do with the phone...it's FB's app. That said, if it's reporting usage while mobile date is off well I'm not sure how that is as under JB they're integrated...it can't count data with mobile data off, just how it works.

(Paranoid Android JB user here, you have the option just go to settings and it's the third option down, Data Usage. They've changed the menus around a little.)

#48 OP Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 15 December 2012 - 21:06

She uninstalled the app & then re-installed it. She then loaded it up & just scrolled.

This alone used up 2MB of data. Seems quite a lot for just this action.

Here's a screenshot of her Facebook settings:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

If you need settings screenshots of other apps or whatever then let me know.

Doesn't look like anyone has been able to put their finger on the problem. The response of "she's using facebook a lot" may be true, but she's using it no more than when she had her iPhone & her iPhone didn't munch data. She could revert back to the iPhone right now, use the phone as normal & be ok.

EDIT: Just to note - application requests is ticked in the 2nd image. This must be the default setting as she had it unticked before uninstalling - as in the 3rd image.

#49 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 15 December 2012 - 21:19

2 MB just scrolling the news feed isn't horrible. It has to download thumbnails of the pictures to show them on the feed etc...

#50 dancedar

dancedar

Neowinian

Posted 15 December 2012 - 21:19

3GS 320x480 = 0.2MP
S3 1280x720 = 0.9MP

Screen sizes perhaps is why - the 3GS's screen is tiny in comparison, you're looking at images which are almost 5 times as large (in pixels) and thus use 5 times the data; you'd perhaps find the same usage jump if she had an iPhone5. First run will always use some date to sync lists, new stories etc. But really it's likely to be due to the paltry display being upgraded to 720p. What you need to check is if it's foreground or background usage. May as well leave all the sync/notifications on if she's going to actively use it as it'll be downloaded then anyway and the later use minuscule amounts.

If she's really worried about going over she could disable background date usage for FB, only use it actively on Wifi, but use the mobile website through Opera Mini or the browser as it can load without images (opera will compress them nicely too)

#51 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 December 2012 - 21:31

I know whenever I get a new phone my data usage goes up. But that much for Facebook is crazy!

#52 OP Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 15 December 2012 - 22:45

3GS 320x480 = 0.2MP
S3 1280x720 = 0.9MP

Screen sizes perhaps is why - the 3GS's screen is tiny in comparison, you're looking at images which are almost 5 times as large (in pixels) and thus use 5 times the data; you'd perhaps find the same usage jump if she had an iPhone5. First run will always use some date to sync lists, new stories etc. But really it's likely to be due to the paltry display being upgraded to 720p. What you need to check is if it's foreground or background usage. May as well leave all the sync/notifications on if she's going to actively use it as it'll be downloaded then anyway and the later use minuscule amounts.

If she's really worried about going over she could disable background date usage for FB, only use it actively on Wifi, but use the mobile website through Opera Mini or the browser as it can load without images (opera will compress them nicely too)

If it is due to the screen then she'll have to sell the S3, no way about it. Upgrading her tarriff isn't an option.

#53 hjf288

hjf288

Korean Crazy Man!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 23:00

Lol any phone in its class will have a screen of similar or greater spec as pretty much every phone has a 720p screen.

Unless you go for cheap low end handsets..

I'd recommend she uses opera mini to browse and contact the operator to use their image compressing proxy services (they often implement a server that compresses images more to reduce data usage at the expense of image quality) so you can benefit from the savings on other apps

#54 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 15 December 2012 - 23:00

If it is due to the screen then she'll have to sell the S3, no way about it. Upgrading her tarriff isn't an option.

Naa, its not the screen size, the difference would be tiny unless you're comparing 640x480 to 999999x9999999 and even then it's dependant on what rez the site is displaying

Plus most phones will download images in a lower rez anyway for speed despite the screen size

#55 OP Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 15 December 2012 - 23:07

Well she's going to run it a week without the Facebook app & will access Facebook through the standard web browser.

That said, the web browser was using a lot anyway, but still, we'll see how it stacks up in 7 days.

I'm not confident we can figure it out though as nothing so far seems to be working. Looks like she'll be heading back to Apple.

#56 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 15 December 2012 - 23:11

Well she's going to run it a week without the Facebook app & will access Facebook through the standard web browser.

That said, the web browser was using a lot anyway, but still, we'll see how it stacks up in 7 days.

I'm not confident we can figure it out though as nothing so far seems to be working. Looks like she'll be heading back to Apple.

So it has only been since the S3 that this data extreme has started ?

Has she had a different phone, used it in the same manor, and experienced much less data use ?

#57 Javik

Javik

Posted 15 December 2012 - 23:32

Disable automatic notifications. When you have that feature enabled the app constantly polls in the background but if you disable that feature I believe it only does it when you refresh manually.

#58 OP Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 15 December 2012 - 23:46

So it has only been since the S3 that this data extreme has started ?

Has she had a different phone, used it in the same manor, and experienced much less data use ?

I'm not being funny, but i've already said the answer to your first question is yes & the answer to your second question is also yes. The [different] phone was the iPhone 3GS which she ran for over 2 years until she replaced with the Samsung

Disable automatic notifications. When you have that feature enabled the app constantly polls in the background but if you disable that feature I believe it only does it when you refresh manually.

If you mean the notifications that is ticked in the above image then she says she can't as she needs some notifications. She gives 2 points:

1) Sometimes her workmates contact her via facebook if they can't make it to work. To this you will suggest they text her, which is what i'd suggest also, but this is the way they seem to do it, so this is the way it's done.
2) With her iPhone, ALL notifications were ON. She didn't need to turn damn near all of them off ........ and she had no data usage issue with that.

EDIT: Just throwing a suggestion out there - what if the data manager is wrong & it's not facebook that is using up all the data & it's something else?

#59 Javik

Javik

Posted 15 December 2012 - 23:51

Was there a point to seeking advice from members when you're not going to listen to anything we say? It sounds to me as if you've already made your mind up, in which case we won't help you.

Investigate the issue. There must be something causing it, as the Facebook app on Android does not use that much more data than the iPhone version. Android has advanced multitasking and applications run as services, of course you'll get a little more data usage but it shouldn't be that high without a solid reason.

#60 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 15 December 2012 - 23:53

I'm not being funny, but i've already said the answer to your first question is yes & the answer to your second question is also yes. The [different] phone was the iPhone 3GS which she ran for over 2 years until she replaced with the Samsung

Its ok, there has been so many suggestions its difficult to keep up :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!