• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#91 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:24

Im not an android user, so I'm not sure entirely...but i believe the official Facebook app (for Android/WP) is HTML, while the iOS app is native...depending how it uses it, could impact on data.

Is there an unofficial app you can try?

Not anymore.

It'd surprise me if you used FB with any images in your news feed at all if you only used about 100Kb of data. 100Kb is around 2 images in crappy Facebook quality.

There are so many things that determine data usage. It'll never be the same every day. You have apps syncing in the background or doing automatic backups. Sending statistics, ...

If you have a smartphone you should really get a data plan that allows you to not worry about data usage at all. You shouldn't have to limit your mobile browsing (unless it's really extreme). You shouldn't have to fully kill apps or turn off your data.

#92 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:24

Im not an android user, so I'm not sure entirely...but i believe the official Facebook app (for Android/WP) is HTML, while the iOS app is native...depending how it uses it, could impact on data.

Is there an unofficial app you can try?

I'm pretty sure the new 2.0 update switched it over to native on android as well (or maybe that was another app i'm thinking of) but I'm pretty sure it was Facebook

#93 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 16 December 2012 - 17:35

I'm pretty sure the new 2.0 update switched it over to native on android as well (or maybe that was another app i'm thinking of) but I'm pretty sure it was Facebook

Yeah facebook on android is native now.

And as for the issue at hand, the OP posted a graph at some point proving that the background data usage for facebook was actually quite low, it was the foreground usage that was creeping up. I personally don't think this usage is excessive, especially if she is using facebook every single day. I don't use that much data but then again I am on wifi 90% of the time between home and work. Best solution is to get a better data plan ad I feel it's her usage habits rather than the phone. She's probably using the phone more now because the browsing experience is MUCH better than on the iphone. Things feel cramped on the iphone whereas on the S3 it feels more natural. I know I use my S3 more than I ever used my iphone 4.

#94 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 16 December 2012 - 18:02

Why don't you two switch phones for a week? Load up her apps and Facebook on the iPhone and let her use it the same way she did on her S3. You do the same. You'll see that it doesn't really matter what device, it all just depends on what you do.

#95 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• Phone: Android

Posted 16 December 2012 - 18:17

Um....take advantage of free WiFi everywhere?
And get off facebook?

Yes stop using Facebook, uninstall it, clear the data. I know you can't remove the app but you can cripple it. S3 is a nice phone. Better than Iphone.

#96 MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 December 2012 - 18:23

Was this resolved ?

You could as a simple answer turn off Data Network Mode, Im PAY And GO 500mb and have no problems, I use Wifi at home and Sites like neowin and hot deals mobile version when im out.

#97 OP Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 16 December 2012 - 18:35

I've asked on a couple forums - the more heads at this the better. I can't remember where i've said it, just that i know i've said it. I'll repeat though...

* Can't try every suggestion at once

There you go. It may sink in with a few people now that it stands out. So just because YOUR suggestion may not be being tried, doesn't mean that ALL suggestions are being ignored.

Facebook app has been deleted. She will now use stock browser or Opera Mini to access Facebook.

It's 1 suggestion that will be trialled. If it works then great, if not then something else will be tried, BUT ........... CAN'T TRY EVERYTHING AT ONCE!!

She's probably using the phone more now

I don't know how this is possible (to answer it - the answer is "it isn't").

Beforehand, she had 1hour breaks at work in which she'd use her iPhone for everything she uses her S3 for now. She'd come home & use WiFi (i must point out, she'd set the phone to WiFi but use her Galaxy Tab for internet browsing & facebook).

NOW....she still has the exact same 1 hour break per day, she still uses her phone for the exact same stuff, and she still comes home & turns WiFi on.

So unless you're suggesting she's taking time off work to get extra time in on her S3, then she can't possibly be using it more.

#98 Soldiers33

Soldiers33

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 December 2012 - 18:39

ill give you suggestion. Remove that facebook trash app and problem sovled.

#99 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 16 December 2012 - 19:06

I've asked on a couple forums - the more heads at this the better. I can't remember where i've said it, just that i know i've said it. I'll repeat though...

There you go. It may sink in with a few people now that it stands out. So just because YOUR suggestion may not be being tried, doesn't mean that ALL suggestions are being ignored.

Facebook app has been deleted. She will now use stock browser or Opera Mini to access Facebook.

It's 1 suggestion that will be trialled. If it works then great, if not then something else will be tried, BUT ........... CAN'T TRY EVERYTHING AT ONCE!!

I don't know how this is possible (to answer it - the answer is "it isn't").

Beforehand, she had 1hour breaks at work in which she'd use her iPhone for everything she uses her S3 for now. She'd come home & use WiFi (i must point out, she'd set the phone to WiFi but use her Galaxy Tab for internet browsing & facebook).

NOW....she still has the exact same 1 hour break per day, she still uses her phone for the exact same stuff, and she still comes home & turns WiFi on.

So unless you're suggesting she's taking time off work to get extra time in on her S3, then she can't possibly be using it more.

Look no further... It is the much higher resolution on her S3 that is dragging data. I used to have an S2 and resolution was much lower. I also had a 500GB plan and I could use it through a whole month without running low. Then I got the Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 2, which have the same resolution as the S3. > Data-usage skyrocketed.

That is because her phone (S3) is now as powerful as a netbook or notebook and many times you browse the photos on Facebook and download them on original resolution, rather than "old smartphone-optimized".

If you are so worried about not spending more with a bigger data plan, then I recommend you to stay with the old 3GS as it's resolution is almost a quarter of that of the S3.

Cutting-edge technology has it's costs... Those beautiful high-resolution garbage pictures (sorry :p) she downloads on Facebook are beautiful because, well... they have thousands of pixels more than those of the 3GS. :)

Good luck with your tests, though... but I would recommend her using the mobile view of the Facebook site, not the full web browser view, as it consumes more data than the Facebook app itself.

#100 OP Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 17 December 2012 - 16:29

So she ran it today as she was at work. Not a true reflection though as she had to come home at dinner time ill.

Posted Image

She used Facebook through the stock browser & not Opera Mini today.

With eBay - she opened that by mistake. That's all she did though - hit the icon. She didn't search or go through anything within eBay & it used 1MB. Quite a bit for just opening i'd have thought.

For comparison, i was on mine (iPhone 4S) in the doctors waiting room for about 30 minutes:

Posted Image

EDIT: She doesn't know what this News Daemon is though.

#101 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 17 December 2012 - 16:33

With Android, apps still run in the background even when you come out of them, so chances are the ebay app hadn't been opened for quite a while and had a bit of updating content to do, and ebay is lots of images

Maybe install a task killer if background apps are eating data, I like "Advanced Task Manager"

#102 DoomsDayMayan

DoomsDayMayan

Neowinian

Posted 17 December 2012 - 16:38

Turn off the FB Auto refresh. Turn of Chat avaliability. Turn off Auto-sync (set it to manual). And if she has friends that posts pictures all the time, she is technically downloading them.

#103 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 December 2012 - 16:45

So she ran it today as she was at work. Not a true reflection though as she had to come home at dinner time ill.

Posted Image

She used Facebook through the stock browser & not Opera Mini today.

With eBay - she opened that by mistake. That's all she did though - hit the icon. She didn't search or go through anything within eBay & it used 1MB. Quite a bit for just opening i'd have thought.

For comparison, i was on mine (iPhone 4S) in the doctors waiting room for about 30 minutes:

Posted Image

EDIT: She doesn't know what this News Daemon is though.

Is that app for iphone? what app is that?

#104 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 17 December 2012 - 16:49

What provider are you with, i have not read all the thread so apoligies if already mentioned

the reason i ask is i am with tmobile i have 1.5gb data but that is ONLY doanload

Gerneral browsing and facebook etc does not count towards this

in saying that since 1st december i have used 25mb on facebook and i am on it every days

Posted Image

#105 hjf288

hjf288

Korean Crazy Man!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 17:44

You can see the O2 in the screenshots...