Just thought I would share this video with everybody. I posted it in the "Big Gun Control Debate", but this isn't really a debate topic, and that forum topic is getting traffic so fast it's ridiculous, and I want as many people as possible to understand what "automatic weapon" really means since the media seems to be uneducated in the matter a lot of the time. It's more of an informative video for those who aren't well versed in firearm terminology and designs.

• Like 3

Not really into Full autos, I prefer the more ornate and beautifully made winchester repeaters and such, (the old west rifle type weapons) I like them for the aethetic beauty, not their purpose, but yes, thanks for posting up the difference :)

edit

I just remembered an assault rifle that I do like, after reading what KingCracker posted further below, I do like the Kalashnikov AK47, but that is because of the engineering that went into the weapon, and in no way am I touching the subject about it's country of origin.

(Kinda like how I like Steam Locomotives, you get to see the engineering at work) :)

Edited by Dushmany

SGT is blocking the video, but as I recall Automatic Weapons have been banned in the US since 1986.

Not really, just new manufacturing of full auto firearms for civilian use has been banned, you can still own full auto firearms from 86 on down.

SGT is blocking the video, but as I recall Automatic Weapons have been banned in the US since 1986.

Well basically I don't own any full autos. I own an AR-15, but it's semi-auto, and I try to explain the difference for people who hear the word "auto" and think of things like a Thompson sub-machine gun.

Do people really need this explaining to them? I knew what Semi-Automatic and Automatic were even before I joined the Military.

Sadly, yes. Many hear the term "automatic" and instantly think of this:

machine-gun.gif

Do people really need this explaining to them? I knew what Semi-Automatic and Automatic were even before I joined the Military.

Surprisingly yes. I've met quite a few people in my travels who didn't know the difference, and it bothers me when something terrible happens and people just refer to them as "automatic" weapons, like everybody who owns an AR-15 puts it on rock and roll and sprays bullets. If people don't know the difference, and those people affect policies, things from the AR-15 all the way to the ever reliable Ruger 10/22 will all of a sudden become illegal.

Sadly, yes. Many hear the term "automatic" and instantly think of this:

Well obviously with the term "automatic" yes, but don't they then wonder that "semi-automatic" means? It seems like common sense to me.

Surprisingly yes. I've met quite a few people in my travels who didn't know the difference, and it bothers me when something terrible happens and people just refer to them as "automatic" weapons, like everybody who owns an AR-15 puts it on rock and roll and sprays bullets. If people don't know the difference, and those people affect policies, things from the AR-15 all the way to the ever reliable Ruger 10/22 will all of a sudden become illegal.

Sadly it seems that most policies are decided by people who havent a clue about the subject at hand.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've thought about making a thread about gun knowledge in general, but ultimately I think it's mostly futile because the people I'd be speaking to don't want to learn just hold their own stubborn opinion over accepting facts.

@the evn show, problem is that the real issue is not guns or access to guns, what the anti gun crowd are purposely ignoring is that all 3 of the last killers had KNOWN mental issues and were taking prescription pills to make them "better" yet the side effects of these drugs are the main culprit for the killings, yet no one in Washington will touch it for fear of losing campaign contributions from the Pharma companies.

If you want stats, here's a great one, Illinois has some of THE most restrictive gun laws, an essential ban on all handguns, yet Chicago has the highest gun murder rate in the Country and worse than some larger Countries, now I'm going to get the usual BS about causality but the facts are the facts, States and cities with restrictive gun laws are crime havens and cities where gun ownership is encouraged have lower crime rates, just look at Texas and Arizona