Photo

SSD optimization software: does it work?

ssd optimization software

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:01

I just got notified on SSD optimization software like e.g. Totalidea's.

My question with those programs is: does it really work?

#2 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:09

Snake oil.

For the most part, the SSD controller won't even let Windows see where the files are stored on the actual drive.

Even if it did, the controller is generally much more aware of when is best to move the pages around.

Ars Technica had a huge write up about SSD's. It would be worth a (long) read if you are interested :)

#3 clearlynotjoe

clearlynotjoe

Neowinian

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:13

In any case, SSD's are so fast, you probably wouldn't even be able tell if the software works.

#4 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:03

TRIM and secure wipe works. nothing else does.

#5 TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord

Neowinian

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:25

Yeah. I have Samsung 840 250GB hard drive nas I dont use any optimization software. You are getting round about 400-500MBps speed anyway, Why do you need to optimize? If you are feeling that the SSD is slow, which is weird but in that case you should just format it. It may have got its tables messed up.
Make sure that you keep the firmware up to date. I updated mine and got some improvement in RW speed.

#6 AStaley

AStaley

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64, OSX Mavericks, Elementary OS, Server 2008 R2/2012 R2, CentOS.
  • Phone: iPhone 4 (IOS7.1.1)

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:25

As others have said, you don't need tweaking software for an SSD with Win7/8. Appears you are running Windows 8 which is SSD aware and will disable/enable the required services for an SSD. If you really want to look at running the Intel SSD Toolbox, this will run TRIM/Garbage Collection.

#7 Beyond Godlike

Beyond Godlike

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:00

Yeah. I have Samsung 840 250GB hard drive nas I dont use any optimization software. You are getting round about 400-500MBps speed anyway, Why do you need to optimize? If you are feeling that the SSD is slow, which is weird but in that case you should just format it. It may have got its tables messed up.
Make sure that you keep the firmware up to date. I updated mine and got some improvement in RW speed.

In the case of my SanDisk extreme, a user discovered that TRIM wasnt working, and had it on the forums with his test results. A coworker of mine discovered this and reminded me to update. Now i make it a point to check monthly for updates, cause i got a massive speed increase from that..not to mention TRIM keeps the drive alive longer.

#8 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:13

In the case of my SanDisk extreme, a user discovered that TRIM wasnt working, and had it on the forums with his test results. A coworker of mine discovered this and reminded me to update. Now i make it a point to check monthly for updates, cause i got a massive speed increase from that..not to mention TRIM keeps the drive alive longer.

I don't understand why TRIM makes the drive last longer? All TRIM does it tell the controller to wipe the block after a file has been deleted, with TRIM off (And in the case of the older 1st/2nd generation SSDs) if data was to be written it had to wait for the cell/block to be wiped before data could be written, this is was one of the reasons why performance suffered in the past.

#9 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:16

The only thing I do is make sure trim is enabled, and disable the "last access time" from being written to disk - which saves a crapload of tiny writes.

#10 thefonz

thefonz

Neowinian

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:33

My new Corsiar Force 60GB is SSD with win7 ultimate is so fast its unreal...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!