Photo

Win 8 x64 - Repair Codecs Modern UI

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 15 December 2012 - 15:18

From the desktop selecting a video file the Metro screen pops up and it appears to be loading the video, but it never starts, just spins until I exit out.

Loading the same file in WMP works fine. Is there a way to repair the Codecs for Windows 8 for the Modern UI?

#2 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 15 December 2012 - 15:29

From the desktop selecting a video file the Metro screen pops up and it appears to be loading the video, but it never starts, just spins until I exit out.

Loading the same file in WMP works fine. Is there a way to repair the Codecs for Windows 8 for the Modern UI?

Are you using third party plugin CODEC's?

#3 jackkk1

jackkk1

Neowinian

Posted 15 December 2012 - 15:34

Modern UI video player is totally different software than "WMP", it's not even called "WMP", it may not support particular codec. What kind of file are you trying to play?

#4 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 15 December 2012 - 15:52

The Modern UI video app struggles with certain encode options I've noticed. Some of my old AVI's that are Xvid are fine but others that are using older DivX 3-4 either show a black screen or one single frame of video. Load them up in WMP or MPC and they play fine.
It's not something that can be fixed outside of Microsoft fixing the issue in an update for the application it would seem. Use a media information program to find what codec/encoding options are giving you grief and report it to them on the Microsoft report forums.

#5 OP Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 15 December 2012 - 23:25

I have VLC installed. Modern UI fails to load .mp4 and .avi files, and they are recent files.

That is all I've tested. It used to work with no problem?

I think it's something that happened to the codecs for the Modern UI?

#6 OP Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 19 December 2012 - 23:16

After a new install of Windows 8, everything was working fine in Metro playing avi, mp4, and the rest. I preformed a full image backup, and then installed VLC 2.0.5, and my video drivers. A couple of hours later I tried opening a .avi file and the Metro screen would pop up with the bust circle going, but never play the .avi file. I'm unable to play any video file in Metro.

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4830 (RV770) Video Adapter

I haven't tested any further. I reimaged back and I'm using the default Microsoft video drivers, and I haven't installed VLC back.