Photo

Your GOTY 2012?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#16 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 16 December 2012 - 19:00

Excuse me if I pass Max Payne 3. It looks great, but the railroad was too much to bear.

Excuse me that I award my GOTY to last years' Twitcher 2. I'm not a great fan of its ARPG mechanics, nor does its lore strike me (in pacticular, because it actually is dark, uncomfortably so at times). But - CDPR continues to play on my "PC Master Race" strings masterfully - free of charge updates to what now is 3.1.2.0, much needed UI mod incorporated into an official update. Couple it to what was a solid game to begin with - the comparatively insane level of graphics detail, the careful manevouring around fantasy classic and D&D gameplay cliches, free of DRM, free little DLCs... this is the one Dragon Age 3 should take a boatload of notes, and not from the overhyped lackluster turd that Schkyrim was and continues to be.

You live in another dimension. First of all I'm pretty sure that Max Payne 3 is no rail mode third person shooter, being the case that I already finished it 3 times, there are action over the rails scenes, but they at best last 1 minute... I'm pretty sure you quit this game because it get's really difficult (and annoying to today's standards even on "normal" difficulty) and you gave up on it. Skyrim is nowhere near as you describe either, is very big that's for sure and while I don't think I will ever finish that game it really gave me a good and big walk, kind of making it unique.

#17 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 20:43

You live in another dimension.

I do. Wait, I'm nominating Twitcher 2 here and you call me out on finding a game difficult? Which it rather was, and it was one of things good about it, because the depressing sashole actually died several times when I wasn't pointing and clicking rapidly enough at the baddies popping up on the inaccessible rooftops, among other ridiculous things. In fact, I'll go as far as stating that it had Max of Duty 3: Rooftop Warfare written all over it, just to try and troll you so hard that you'll have to resort to taking pills and drinking ****water while recounting monotonic monologues for the rest of your life as well.

I do realize in your dimension and wherever the f* everyone else seems to be residing in it's the local customs, the avowed policy and the only thing everyone usually does regardless of policies lest they appear to have caught a certain terminal sickness of suddenly making sense, to appear uselessly picsed off that someone else isn't totally in love with whatever foul-smelling shyte they happen to be totally in love with. I won't magically put pants backwards on my head tomorrow and start enjoying it because you've just declared that it's totally not what I think it is, but it's a complete opposite - flip switch, swing and a miss...

Next thing I'll hear is that Dorksiders 2 is a GOTY title. Oh wait, I've already heard that crap aplenty...

#18 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,342 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 20:57

Really? The Walking Dead? That game is so lame and boring, it's a game on rails, basically a story.

#19 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,383 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 December 2012 - 21:04

The game I got most enjoyment out of this year... Is a difficult choice.

Dishonored was great but far too short, and it didn't interest me enough to want to play it again. Max Payne 3 had brilliant cut scenes but the rest of it wasn't that fun. Darksiders 2 was pretty fun but it was lacking in depth I thought. Mass Effect 3 was a bit anticlimactic also.

Skyrim and Deus Ex: HR are amazing games but they were released in 2011, so they don't count.... Hmm. Not sure at all.

I would say Borderlands 2 is the most likely to win all the awards, as it's very accessible, fun (although a lot of the jokes fall flat) and isn't too short.

#20 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,437 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 16 December 2012 - 21:15

For me, it would be Mass Effect 3, with Dishonored and Torchlight 2 being close runner-ups.

#21 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,918 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 16 December 2012 - 22:16

Really? The Walking Dead? That game is so lame and boring, it's a game on rails, basically a story.

And it is exactly THE story that makes it the game of the year IMHO. I take it you do not ready anything else I said if this is your reaction.

Indeed, there is not all that much gameplay within the game itself. And it is not challenging to play even in the slightest. That is not what makes it so damn good.

What they were able to achieve with their story was fantastic, and there is no reason other more action based games could not do the same if they choose to do so.

It elevated the art of story telling in the video game genre to another level. For that reason alone it is worthy of GOTY, again IMO.

#22 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 35,953 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 22:29

Walking Dead came close for me, definitely Tell Tales best yet, but I wish the decisions hadn't been as smoke and mirrors. I understand when you go crazy with decision paths you end up with tons of work and potentially loose ends/certain paths being weaker than others, but it could have been a little more varied. Most All decisions really ended up with the same end result...

Season 2 should have a higher budget and will IMO make it better for that - Besides more money to spend on the good things, the technical side of things was a little weak in Season 1, at least on the PS3 (stuttering, crashing and bugs).

As for my GOTY, still undecided (loving Borderlands 2 with GF right now), 2012 hasn't been that powerful for me, at least on the retail front. Lots of good downloadable games, I loved my short experience with Journey. I think 2013 will be better, The Last of Us and Beyond are by far two of my most anticipated titles of this generation. The Last of Us because ND proved themselves with Uncharted and have moved to a new more adult orientated IP (not stuck being the 'uncharted studio' anymore). Then Beyond because as flawed as parts of Heavy Rain were it essentially gave us The Walking Dead and other not so successful 'clones', but different experiences to the run of the mill nevertheless.

And let us not forget MGS Rising which I have played (it rocked), Bioshock Infinite, and possibly MGS5. Definitely more excited about 2013.

#23 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,342 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:10

And it is exactly THE story that makes it the game of the year IMHO. I take it you do not ready anything else I said if this is your reaction.

Indeed, there is not all that much gameplay within the game itself. And it is not challenging to play even in the slightest. That is not what makes it so damn good.

What they were able to achieve with their story was fantastic, and there is no reason other more action based games could not do the same if they choose to do so.

It elevated the art of story telling in the video game genre to another level. For that reason alone it is worthy of GOTY, again IMO.

I disagree, but that's ok, not everyone likes the same stuff, I found the story and gameplay tired and boring.

Personally I can't really think of anything that deserved GOTY this year, Halo 4 was ok, but not GOTY good
I did get Max Payne 3 and Skyrim but I've yet to play them, so I can't say, I guess therein lies my problem, I am still playing
catch up with previous years games. I need more time......

I did put countless hours into Minecraft, I really enjoyed that, even though it was released on 360 this year
I wouldn't call it a 2012 game.

#24 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:55

I do. Wait, I'm nominating Twitcher 2 here and you call me out on finding a game difficult? Which it rather was, and it was one of things good about it, because the depressing sashole actually died several times when I wasn't pointing and clicking rapidly enough at the baddies popping up on the inaccessible rooftops, among other ridiculous things. In fact, I'll go as far as stating that it had Max of Duty 3: Rooftop Warfare written all over it, just to try and troll you so hard that you'll have to resort to taking pills and drinking ****water while recounting monotonic monologues for the rest of your life as well.

I do realize in your dimension and wherever the f* everyone else seems to be residing in it's the local customs, the avowed policy and the only thing everyone usually does regardless of policies lest they appear to have caught a certain terminal sickness of suddenly making sense, to appear uselessly picsed off that someone else isn't totally in love with whatever foul-smelling shyte they happen to be totally in love with. I won't magically put pants backwards on my head tomorrow and start enjoying it because you've just declared that it's totally not what I think it is, but it's a complete opposite - flip switch, swing and a miss...

Next thing I'll hear is that Dorksiders 2 is a GOTY title. Oh wait, I've already heard that crap aplenty...

You're talking with a man that has seen all console/pc generations to come by and I can see you are clearly biased. MP3 was a great game, I'm wondering if you ever played the first two to really know what has really been with this particular character max, seeing how hateful are in your speech you seem to be a bit spoiled, therefore any game that doesn't fulfill any of your expectations is bad and that good sir is completely subjective, far more than other opinions expressed here and therefore not useful at all.

#25 S00N3R FR3AK

S00N3R FR3AK

Champion

• 1,742 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:38

If I cut out the ending ME3 can have GOTY, otherwise that was such a terrible way to end the series that I have to take it away. So for now my GOTY goes to Halo 4.

#26 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

Neowinian Senior

• 3,534 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:44

1.Hitman Absolution (on PC)
2.Max Payne 3 (on PC)

not much else is worth mentioning basically.

#27 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,461 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:54

Ok, depending on what you look for in a game I either put XCOM or Spec Ops as my GOTY.

XCOM has replayability, but not necessarily an engaging story. By that I mean that the story doesn't really play an integral part other than offering a setting for aliens to invade.

Spec Ops : The Line has an incredible story, and even on my second playthrough I'm finding it tough to make the decisions. However, it falls down on replayability, most people would probably only play it once, and I think I'll put it down for a long time before I consider playing through after the second time.

#28 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,658 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:55

Halo 4 on XBOX.

#29 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• 1,225 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:12

I don't mind story in games, but if you want an entire story, just read a book. Zombies are one the most overrated content (besides Vampires) in movies, comic books and games it's not even funny.

How about pushing innovative game-play with a story that doesn't involve zombies or vampires.

#30 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,461 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:18

How about pushing innovative game-play with a story that doesn't involve zombies or vampires.

Do you mean like Heavy Rain? There were no zombies, and it was a new type of game in that there wasn't a whole lot of...well, gaming. It was an interactive story. I was quite impressed with the results of HR, I might go back and play it again when I've finished Spec Ops.