Farcry.

#62 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 23 December 2012 - 20:52

Farcry 3 for sure

Can't agree with the max payne votes, loved the first 2 the third was too many cinematics not enough shooting. Then again rockstar seems to make a habit of killing games lately. Loved all gtas except 4 and dlcs, the game actually made me not pre-order gta5 in fear its gonna be the same trainwreck.

It should. But I'm increasingly hearing comments along the lines of "I don't care if the gameplay as bad as long as it has a good story, blah, blah..."

Following this path the ideal game would just be mashing a button to advance cutscenes.

Worked for MGS4

#63 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• 2,378 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 23 December 2012 - 20:59

Game of the year for me would be Dishonored. Good story, good gameplay, though it could've had better graphics.

I really want to play Far Cry 3 and ACIII but since I haven't I can't say anything about them.

#64 paxa

paxa

Neowinian

• 761 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:20

it is almost impossible to narrow down to one game. mine are borderlands 2, halo 4, dishonored, max payne 3, mass effect 3, far cry 3, hitman absolution, sleeping dogs and torchlight 2

#65 S00N3R FR3AK

S00N3R FR3AK

Champion

• 1,742 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:27

Farcry 3 for sure

Can't agree with the max payne votes, loved the first 2 the third was too many cinematics not enough shooting. Then again rockstar seems to make a habit of killing games lately. Loved all gtas except 4 and dlcs, the game actually made me not pre-order gta5 in fear its gonna be the same trainwreck.

Worked for MGS4

Yeah I just got MP3 and I most of the time I'm playing all I can think of is I want to shoot something, not watch Max drink more.

#66 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:57

1.Hitman Absolution (on PC)

Game of the Year 2012:
Hitman: Absolution

hitman absolution

You have to be high to even consider this NEAR GOTY. It was good but NOTHING GOTY material.

It's sad day for gaming when we've reached the point where people judge a game based on "story" and not gameplay.

Sorry but no; The story is WAY more important than the actual game play. I enjoy single player a lot better than multiplayer. As a matter of fact, its one of the reason Team Fortress 2 failed for me, it did not have any single player campaign. But I understand due to the target audience of the game.

#67 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

• 4,928 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:24

Football Manager 2013 - The only reason this does not make the above list is because I have not played it. I can already see from screenshots and various videos that this game will devour my life and **** out a Job Seekers Allowance booklet.

Great game. I skipped 2012 but this '13 is a lot of fun. Add a few add-on packs (logos, kits, player pictures) and the game truly is addictive. Actually, FM2013 and Crusader Kings 2 could be the ultimate 'where the fuq did my life go" combo of games. Yikes.

#68 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,196 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 17:52

None they were all garbage, Mass Effect, Far Cry, Assassins Creed, they all fell short in my estimation.

I enjoyed some games this year such as Kingdoms of Amalur and Sleeping Dogs but they are hardly GOTY quality.

Skyrim was 2011.

There was new DLC that came out this year though :D. And I think out of all the games I played this year, I played Skyrim the most so it gets my GOTY again ;).

#69 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,737 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 17:58

GOTY
Natural Selection 2

RunnerUps
Walking Dead
Deus Ex 2
Max Payne 3
XCOM
SleepingDogs

Honorable Mention
Black Mesa

#70 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,525 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:12

Looking back, I've realised there's a hell of a lot of 2012 I still haven't got around to playing yet. So for now, my GOTY of 2012 is Borderlands 2, with Rocksmith coming in second. That'll probably change once I get around to playing Dishonored. And Sleeping Dogs. And Max Payne 3.

I'll also give an honourable mention to Tokyo Jungle, purely for being one of the most unique games in years (and also holding the rare accolade of being a download-only game that I've bought at full-price).

If you all fancy a laugh, Yahtzee's put out his top 5 best and worst of 2012. Quite a surprise what was his #1 best... http://www.escapistm...7-Top-5-of-2012

#71 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,130 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:21

I did not play a lot of new games this year however, the one i spend the most time with is Guild Wars 2 so i would give it to them.

#72 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,436 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:39

I'm not really feeling any game from 2012 was elite enough to warrant GOTY discussion.

Diablo 3 was one of the most anticipated games in a long time but failed to live up to half it's expectations (I still play it.)

Borderlands 2 was a lot of fun at the start with it's quirky writing and fresh fps + rpg style. However, I felt it lost momentum quickly, became repetitive, and I couldn't finish it.

NBA2K13 is nearly perfect as far as basketball/sport game goes. Sports games are never considered for GOTY though. The 2K sports team deserves a lot of credit. They never produce a bad game and would have easily taken over the NFL market by now if it wasn't for EA's ridiculous monopoly on the virtual NFL.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die came out on PC in 2012. If I had to award, I'd probably go that route.

#73 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,568 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 02 January 2013 - 19:00

Coming into this year, I was really excited for ME3, Diablo 3, and Borderlands2. Diablo 3 was a huge let down for me. It was good, but not anywhere close to what it should have been. Borderlands 2 was great, but for some reason didn't hold my interest for very long. Since I have to pick one that came out THIS year, I guess I would say it's ME3. Even though the ending completely ruined the entire series for me, and I hate the thought of it winning an award, it was still the best game from this year that I've played.

However, I played both Skyrim and Dark Souls for the first time this year and they were both phenomenal. I think Dark Souls is the better game, because it had better gameplay. (better, proper progression). But Skyrim had better story. Each are more deserving of GOTY than anything that actually came out this year.

#74 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,685 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:00

If you all fancy a laugh, Yahtzee's put out his top 5 best and worst of 2012. Quite a surprise what was his #1 best... http://www.escapistm...7-Top-5-of-2012

Actually, once I viewed that I did remember his review was glowing enough that I wanted to look at picking up the game. Once it got cheaper.

Which, if anyone cares, it's $7.50 for PC download through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...ec ops the line

#75 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:10

black ops 2 zombies