49 replies to this topic

#31 LegendaryRamzi

LegendaryRamzi

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Windows Phone 7.8

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:26

To me this complaint sounds exactly like:

I'm going to have a new car stereo installed, but i'm not going to stop driving while they are installing the stereo.
I have no idea why I should park my car because it makes no difference if I'm driving or not.
It is so annoying they ask me to park my car for a few minutes.

#32 Jub Fequois

Jub Fequois

Owlblood

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:57

I don't think it's a complaint as much as it is an "ugh, really?" Sharing is caring and all that. I agree with the OP that it is ridiculous to ask a user to reboot after a game install, especially since the Steam version doesn't.

#33 LegendaryRamzi

LegendaryRamzi

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 7.8

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:32

I don't think it's a complaint as much as it is an "ugh, really?" Sharing is caring and all that. I agree with the OP that it is ridiculous to ask a user to reboot after a game install, especially since the Steam version doesn't.

Steam is basically an advanced installer. So it is handling/tracking/updating all the prerequisites for a game. Probably this update didn't require a reboot and steam didn't propose a reboot.

OP's patch uses a simple installer. Figuring out whether the computer has to reboot or not is difficult and would have required a lot of extra development. So instead of delaying the patch for another month, they released it and asked for a reboot.

#34 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:50

Although i agree that it's annoying being asked to restart, it's not really thread worthy.

#35 Guest_seanseany_*

Guest_seanseany_*

Posted 19 December 2012 - 13:02

Times that precious the OP hasn't got time for a reboot god dammit ! , not even got time to play games.....oh, wait...errr.... :shifty:

#36 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 19 December 2012 - 13:09

For me, it's less about the time and more that I simply don't want to reboot. It's unnecessary.

#37 OP Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 19 December 2012 - 16:38

Precisely. Sad that people who actually comprehend the point of a thread are in the minority. It's just silly that a game in 2012 asks for a reboot.

#38 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 19 December 2012 - 16:44

Dont think anyone really wants to restart there computer when they are using it, i mean everytime im asked i just try the app anyway as said the majority of them dont really need it anyhow, and its only a few of them that will force you to restart.. i hate those -.- lol

#39 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 19 December 2012 - 16:53

For me, it's less about the time and more that I simply don't want to reboot. It's unnecessary.

99% of the time someone says they have a "problem" with their computer I will make them reboot, it's always the ones that refuse to reboot that the reboot fixes the problem, every time. Me as soon as things start acting in a way even slightly off I reboot, it's all it needs except for the last nvidia driver upgrade, that took a downgrade to fix and is the first problem on this new system that a reboot didn't sort out

#40 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 19 December 2012 - 17:52

Well I take care of my computer and know what I'm doing, so my computer doesn't ever "act up", fr clients it is the second thing I tell them right after "turn on the wireless network switch again".

Remember that since windows 7 and even more in windows 8, there's very few system changes that actually needs a reboot.

#41 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 17:58

No. you're still ignoring closing down all the apps, shutting down, and starting all the apps back to where you were again. reboot is more than just starting up.

Unless you are on an ssd.

#42 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

Posted 19 December 2012 - 18:07

Unless you are on an ssd.

This doesn't even make any sense? Have you got a magic SSD that makes the computer not need to be restarted ever?

#43 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 19 December 2012 - 18:08

This doesn't even make any sense? Have you got a magic SSD that makes the computer not need to be restarted ever?

Just makes the reboot process and opening up all the apps to where you were a very fast process. That being said, most restart prompts you can ignore. Unless you go to open up what you just installed and it won't open until you reboot.

#44 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

Posted 19 December 2012 - 18:10

Just makes the reboot process and opening up all the apps to where you were a very fast process.

The line you quoted doesn't mention speed, just comments on the processes you have to go through when you actually do a reboot.
Although i'll agree with you in that buying an SSD was the best thing i ever did to speed up my machine!

#45 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 19 December 2012 - 18:11

The line you quoted doesn't mention speed, just comments on the processes you have to go through when you actually do a reboot.
Although i'll agree with you in that buying an SSD was the best thing i ever did to speed up my machine!

The line I quoted seemed annoyed about having to open up all of his stuff again, indicating it was a slow process and probably being done on a traditional hard drive.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!