Windows 7 "Unidentified Network" Issue

Hey, so lately I've been having an issue where, whenever my comptuer boots up, the LAC adapter is disabled, I wrote a .bat to re-enable and renew my IP. Well today I get on, and do my routine, but it doesn't fix the issue (which happened occasionally) so I went to restart my router, which I've been thinking is going bad, as it sometimes drops my devices on Wi-Fi, (phones, tablets, laptops). But that didn't resolve the issue. So I did the networking troubleshooter, no avail. I've tried everything I could find on google, but nothing has helped. I would list them but I can't remember them anymore. Anyone had this issue, and resolved it? What I can remember I tried:

-removing Bonjour

-Removing Vmware's virtual network

-reinstalling drivers

-tried different drivers

-set a static IP, default Gateway, and subnet mask

-set DHCP options

-ROUTE DELETE 0.0.0.0

Nothing has helped. The main problem I'm having with finding answers is that I'm on a wired connection instead of wireless. All of my wireless devices are working, and my Ubuntu partition is working, whilst wired (what I'm posting from now). So I know it's not an issue with my networking, it's the OS. Luckily my Ubuntu partition is set up similarly to my Win7, so I still have all my media, and can use Ubuntu for now. But I would really lvoe to get my win7 back up and running. If worse comes to worse I'm just going to wipe and restart, but then who's to say it wont relapse? In anycase any information you guys and gals might have would be much appreciated.

-Regards,

Brennon

I'm not sure, you sound like you know more about this than I do, but the only thing I can add is that I now have 3 Win7 Machines, 1 wired, 2 wireless, none of which have had the problem you posted, I am posting from my pc (not my son or daughter's) and my PC was formatted and I installed 7 about a month after it was released, I have itunes installed also and never seen that fault you described.

If you still have your product key, I could only suggest a reformat and reinstall

(probably doesn't help you right now, and for that I apologise)

Means you're getting a 169 - which usually means your software, cable, nic or networking equipment is having issues (if you set static on a normal DHCP network, that eliminates the DHCP broadcast issue).

Plug a different computer in, if it works that eliminates the router/switch

Use an external adapter if possible, that eliminates the OS/software and confirms on-board hardware is the issue

Double post, just saw Linux is running fine on same box.

OS issue, either winsock is broke or drive issue.

Guess you guys didn't read it all, I'm on the SAME MACHINE with the SAME CABLE with the SAME ROUTER on my Ubuntu Partition, and it works fine so it's NOT a problem with:Cable, router, modem, it's definitely a problem with the OS, also, I did try putting in a static IP to disable DHCP and no help.

Guess you guys didn't read it all, I'm on the SAME MACHINE with the SAME CABLE with the SAME ROUTER on my Ubuntu Partition, and it works fine so it's NOT a problem with:Cable, router, modem, it's definitely a problem with the OS, also, I did try putting in a static IP to disable DHCP and no help.

I guess you didn't read the bottom half of my post?

It's either the winsock or driver issue

Had similar issue with my network and my infiniTV 4 card with Windows 7. At the same time I was using a new motherboard I just purchased and found the issue to be a driver.

Every time I would boot it would be disabled or wake form sleep, never seen an issue like it before. I got it to go away with using the Intel network driver as the Windows 7 built-in one caused this on my X79 board. The driver I was using had an issue with the an advanced option that I can not remember now, it was possible to change this advanced option and get the issue to go away. Additionally using a different driver handled this as well.

Was very annoying, hope this helps.

**EDIT** Shot of advanced options

advancedoptions.png

How did I not read your post? I did explain that my oldest machine runs wired and that I suggested, if it is possible, to try and reinstall 7?

Failing that, you could try to find your mobo manufacturer website and see if they have drivers available for your network card, then uninstall, and install the new drivers...

If you say the computer works when booting linux, and using same wire, same port on switch portion of your router then yeah really points to a driver/os related problem.

So your saying when you reboot your nic is disabled? Do you get anything in the event log?

Did you try removing the nic from device manager, and then clearing out all your network interfaces out of the registry and then reinstalling the drivers. What is the exact nic you have? Are you using drivers from the maker or from MS?

Sorry forgot to include system specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate

Athlon x2 215 @2.71Ghz

3GB Kingston RAM

K9N6SGM-V Motherboard with Nforce MCP61 Network Bridge 10/100

Geforce GT430 1GB

WD 750GB Caviar Black (C:)

WD 500GB Caviar Blue (D:)

Visiontek 500w PSU

I'll boot back into Windows and see check the event log and try what Budman said.

Also using the nForce drivers from Nvidia, but i've tried them from my mobo driver disk, and legacy drivers, no avail.

EDIT:

So I booted back into Windows, deleted the drivers from device manager, deleted the nforce networking registrys, and restarted, when it booted back up, Windows auto-installed the drivers, and I am now back online! Thank you very much to Budman as well as the others who responded. But I have one last question, whats to stop my PC from doing this again later down the road? I've had this machine for a good 3-4 years now, with 2 reformats, and that's the first time its happened but still, is this going to become another routine, or only time can tell?

Edited by SSCorporal

Generally speaking, the nForce firewall is 99% of the issues I've dealt with on that. I avoid it on any machine as much as I can.

And Windows Update I've seen kill the NIC drivers for nForce

As to it happening again?? Not sure what caused it in the first place, had you tried updating the driver and something went wrong? As mentioned, I am not a fan of the onboard firewall either. It's too complicated for the everyday user - it should be OFF by default and allow the user to enable if they so desire, not all hosts need a host firewall for starters.

If this is the first time you have seen the issue in multiple years, I wouldn't worry about it too much. But if does come back, make sure you understand exactly when it did and what might of changed on the machine.

You should not have enable a nic, if you had not disabled it before hand. You really should not have to release or renew an IP - unless you desire to do so to get new info, there was a problem with your dhcp server, etc.. So if your doing any of that sort of thing to get online when you don't know the reason behind having to do it, then something is wrong.

• 11 months later...

Windows 7 learns how one does thins.. So doing something repeatedly helps... :D

If u press the Unidentified Network in network and sharing center you should get to the network... then pop-up comes up and if your network search is not on then the pop-up has a button to choose "make my network private/home" click that, then wait a while.. it should form the connection. 

If tired of waiting one can also launch elevated cmd type ipconfig /renew

And it should make the connection pretty soon.