Photo

Why are pages shifted towards the left in Word?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:47

shift.png

Pictures speak louder than words. As you can see the page is shifted towards the left when it usually is centered. How do I fix this?

Thank you

#2 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:50

Change your vista.

#3 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:54

Change your vista.

Be more specific. What do I change it to?

#4 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:00

Be more specific. What do I change it to?

There should be a button that says "one page" under your vista. That will center it. I don't know how to say it in your language though. Then if you want it to be bigger you can set the zoom to whatever you like.

#5 MarkusDarkus

MarkusDarkus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:03

Vista = Zoom

#6 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:05

Try CTRL+ALT+P or ALT+SHIFT+C

#7 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:52

There should be a button that says "one page" under your vista. That will center it. I don't know how to say it in your language though. Then if you want it to be bigger you can set the zoom to whatever you like.

Already hit that one page button but its still off to the left.

#8 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:56

That's odd, View > Zoom area > One Page view fixed that for me just now, that should be it. Click 100% and then One Page, I flipped around with the options a bit first but now it looks normal.

#9 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:37

That's odd, View > Zoom area > One Page view fixed that for me just now, that should be it. Click 100% and then One Page, I flipped around with the options a bit first but now it looks normal.

Hit 100% then One Page but it goes to 75%. It worked perfectly before.

#10 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:56

It's a feature. Word takes advantage of your high screen resolution, and aligns the first page to the left, meaning a second page will come up on the right hand side, so you can view two pages side by side. I think this is a good (logical) decision Microsoft made. If you just want one page instead, simply zoom in.

#11 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:12

It's a feature. Word takes advantage of your high screen resolution, and aligns the first page to the left, meaning a second page will come up on the right hand side, so you can view two pages side by side. I think this is a good (logical) decision Microsoft made. If you just want one page instead, simply zoom in.

But if I zoom in, I wont get a real representation on what the other person will probably receive,

BTW, its not a feature, its called a bug.

#12 68k

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:48

But if I zoom in, I wont get a real representation on what the other person will probably receive,

Word is WYSIWYG: what you see is what you get. I can be quite certain that the file will appear the same in all versions of Word.

If you are writing a Word tutorial, then work in windowed mode instead (not full screen), or just temporarily set your screen to a lower resolution.

It's not a bug - how does it effect how you use Word?

#13 Soldiers33

Soldiers33

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:57

its on the left because you have a very wide screen. mine is the same now. before it used to be centered on a 17" now on a 22" its to the left, they do so 2 pages can fit on one window.

#14 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 18 December 2012 - 13:01

Not sure you understand what a bug is then.

#15 Julius Caro

Julius Caro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 13:16

I don´t see where the problem is.

The "one page" button will decrease the zoom level (75%) to fit the entire page in your view. You are contradicting yourself. You want to be able to view a single centered page at 100% zoom level on a window maximized on a wide screen, because you want an "accurate representation". But at 100%, centered or not, the page doesn´t fit vertically (as per your screenshot). At a higher zoom level, it still won´t fit, and it will be centered, so I dont see how that is even a problem or how it is less accurate.

As previously mentioned, just use windowed mode and center the window if it´s THAT annoying.

I agree that it doesnt make much sense to shift the one page to the left when the document only has a single page, but it is unlikely that your document will ONLY have one page anyway.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!