Firefox 17 without social api

firefox

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 00:29

Hmm...that's a bit strange. Wait, you may have removed the Firefox branding somehow and it defaulted to the previous build name?

#17 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 18 December 2012 - 00:36

Nothing was removed, I didn't use a mozconfig either for the windows build (they say without one makes it practically the same as the official builds).
EDIT: Looks like they set it to automatically use nightly branding and specify 'NEVER automatically set to use official branding' so I guess it's a trademark protection thing.

Edited by n_K, 18 December 2012 - 00:44.

#18 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 00:45

Maybe try with a mozconfig then, couldn't hurt. Other then that, I don't know why it would default. But wait till you have had some rest first.

#19 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:03

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Error - "The program can't start because MSVCR100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem." - Still got this error after two reinstalls and a removal then another install. I will grab the C++ redistributable and test again.

EDIT: installed the above mentioned redistributable and still get the same error, even after re-boot and reinstall attempt. Any ideas?

#20 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:48

I'm not sure I see the point in this, the social stuff isn't even enabled (or loaded), so the only affect in the end will be a slight reduction in the file size of the support files.

#21 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 61

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:53

I'm on 17.0.1 too and I don't see any social stuff?

#22 Xahid

Xahid

Anokha Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:09

he was talking about Api in Firefox source code, you can use that api using Add-on Facebook toolbar.

#23 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 13:18

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Error - "The program can't start because MSVCR100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem." - Still got this error after two reinstalls and a removal then another install. I will grab the C++ redistributable and test again.

EDIT: installed the above mentioned redistributable and still get the same error, even after re-boot and reinstall attempt. Any ideas?

Humm that's weird, did you use the 32 bit or 64 bit runtime install? I compiled and tested on W7 pro x64 with VS .NET 2010 and it runs fine :s.

I'm not sure I see the point in this, the social stuff isn't even enabled (or loaded), so the only affect in the end will be a slight reduction in the file size of the support files.

It is loaded, it is fully integrated with firefox, whether you see it or not, IT IS LOADED, and it damn well shouldn't be there at all.

Go to https://www.facebook...ger-for-firefox and click the button, if something happens or a dialogue opens (I don't know what is meant to happen) then you've got the social api, if however the button just greys out and if you refresh is shows the same page and the button not greyed out - you've not got the social api.

#24 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 14:20

Humm that's weird, did you use the 32 bit or 64 bit runtime install? I compiled and tested on W7 pro x64 with VS .NET 2010 and it runs fine :s.

The x64 version - MS Visual C++ x64 Redistributable - 10.0.303.19

Neither the installer or the zip version makes a difference, I'll try the 32 bit version.

EDIT : The x86 Redistrib did the trick, runs fine here. How long are you going to keep compiling "social free firefox"?

#25 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 15:05

EDIT : The x86 Redistrib did the trick, runs fine here. How long are you going to keep compiling "social free firefox"?

Good! :D.
Probably for as long as I use firefox. Not sure about windows port though, it took less than an hour to build on linux and over 5 hours to build on windows :/ so unless there's a way to vastly speed up windows compile or I leave it compiling overnight... Which I may do.
Anyway instead of recompilining now to change from 'nightly' to 'firefox' I'll just leave it with nightly until the next firefox 17 update comes out then build that as firefox not nightly! :p.

#26 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 16:24

Thanx n_k. Works fine in Fedora 17 x64. Am stepping on glass though with Ubuntu 12.04.1 x64. Haven't tried it for Win8 yet though.

#27 OP n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 19:10

'Am stepping on glass though with Ubuntu 12.04.1 x64'
How so?
I can compile for linux statically, which would make firefox much bigger but wouldn't use system libraries and should theoretically work on any distro

#28 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 18 December 2012 - 19:20

I don't think recompiling is necessary, but if you want to do it for fun, more power to you. AFAIK, the social media crap is disabled unless explicitly enabled, but there may be a way to permanently shut it off in about:config. If not there, maybe there's a command switch to disable it?

#29 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 18 December 2012 - 19:42

but there may be a way to permanently shut it off in about:config. If not there, maybe there's a command switch to disable it?

There is social.enabled and social.active if you're wanting to stick to the official builds, should be false by default if I recall.

#30 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 19:45

'Am stepping on glass though with Ubuntu 12.04.1 x64'
How so?
I can compile for linux statically, which would make firefox much bigger but wouldn't use system libraries and should theoretically work on any distro

Because I always have issues compiling under Ubuntu.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!