Fraternity members charged after student dies

DEKALB, Ill. (AP) ? Nearly two dozen fraternity members at Northern Illinois University were charged Monday with hazing-related counts after a freshman was found dead at their fraternity house following a night of drinking.

DeKalb police and prosecutors issued arrest warrants for 22 members of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity in DeKalb. Five members are charged with felony hazing, while the other 17 members are facing misdemeanor hazing charges.

Phone messages and emails sent to local and national fraternity officials were not immediately returned.

The warrants were filed after David Bogenberger, 19, was found unresponsive at the fraternity house early on Nov. 2. The DeKalb County Coroner's Office said toxicology results found his blood alcohol content was about five times the legal limit for driving.

The coroner ruled Bogenberger's cause of death was cardiac arrhythmia, with alcohol intoxication as a contributing cause.

"The event that night involved the pledges rotating between several rooms in the fraternity house, being asked a series of questions, and then being provided cups of vodka and other liquor to drink," police said in a statement. "This resulted in the pledges drinking a large quantity of alcohol in about a two-hour time period."

more

The DeKalb County Coroner's Office said toxicology results found his blood alcohol content was about five times the legal limit for driving.

more

Or... "his blood alcohol content was over the limit for living!"

5 times the legal driving limit ? bitch please.... that wouldnt even get me drunk ... its obvious that he shouldnt be drinking cause his heart skips a beat he obviously did some jager bombs ... to much E drink ...

said driving limit ... legal driving limit is like what? 2 units...

Driving limit is 0.08 BAC. Five times that is 0.40 BAC...

Anyone who has drank enough, or played with a breathalyzer knows anything upward of 0.35 BAC, you are pretty much screwed in the living department. Yes, 0.40 BAC is near deadly.

0.07-0.09 BAC: Slight impairment of balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing. Euphoria. Judgment and self-control are reduced, and caution, reason and memory are impaired, .08 is legally impaired and it is illegal to drive at this level. You will probably believe that you are functioning better than you really are.

0.10-0.125 BAC: Significant impairment of motor coordination and loss of good judgment. Speech may be slurred; balance, vision, reaction time and hearing will be impaired. Euphoria.

0.13-0.15 BAC: Gross motor impairment and lack of physical control. Blurred vision and major loss of balance. Euphoria is reduced and dysphoria (anxiety, restlessness) is beginning to appear. Judgment and perception are severely impaired.

0.16-0.19 BAC: Dysphoria predominates, nausea may appear. The drinker has the appearance of a "sloppy drunk."

0.20 BAC: Felling dazed, confused or otherwise disoriented. May need help to stand or walk. If you injure yourself you may not feel the pain. Some people experience nausea and vomiting at this level. The gag reflex is impaired and you can choke if you do vomit. Blackouts are likely at this level so you may not remember what has happened.

0.25 BAC: All mental, physical and sensory functions are severely impaired. Increased risk of asphyxiation from choking on vomit and of seriously injuring yourself by falls or other accidents.

0.30 BAC: STUPOR. You have little comprehension of where you are. You may pass out suddenly and be difficult to awaken.

0.35 BAC: Coma is possible. This is the level of surgical anesthesia.

0.40 BAC and up: Onset of coma, and possible death due to respiratory arrest.

• Like 3

Driving limit is 0.08 BAC. Five times that is 0.40 BAC...

Anyone who has drank enough, or played with a breathalyzer knows anything upward of 0.35 BAC, you are pretty much screwed in the living department. Yes, 0.40 BAC is near deadly.

can you give it to me in pints? ... lol i have had 32 shots of jaeger 4 pints and 4 amerettos in a couple of hours and lived ? what is that in american ? (yes i did have alcohol poisoning from drinking all that in such a short time)

can you give it to me in pints? ... lol i have had 32 shots of jaeger 4 pints and 4 amerettos in a couple of hours and lived ? what is that in american ? (yes i did have alcohol poisoning from drinking all that in such a short time)

I told you I was hardcore!!

:rolleyes:

How many drinks it takes you to get to that BAC is relative depending on each individual. If you had a BAC of .4, you'd be on the floor dying - not sober.

That **** is just gross after 5 shots. Isn't each shot of jaeger like eating a big mac meal too?

probably why i gained 3 stone that first year at uni

How many drinks it takes you to get to that BAC is relative depending on each individual. If you had a BAC of .4, you'd be on the floor dying - not sober.

i guess ... im still trying to work out what you guys measure your alcohol in though... here we have units ... one shot is normally about 0.7 - 1 unit

Well I also think the limits are more strict in the UK than the US to be honest. I know that if you have two glasses of wine in Belgium you'd test positive, and if you drive professionally (taxi, cargo, ...) the limit is a lot lower and even one glass would get you positive.

No, there is no way to determine it in "units" or shots. BAC is based on your body size, height, tolerance, time consumed, etc. If you actually did drink all of what you said (in a relatively short amount of time), that would make you around 250 to 350 pounds (113 to 158 kg), and more than likely an alcoholic.

There are 17 shots in a fifth. So, you are claiming you drank just under two fifths (1500mL) of liquor, plus a half a gallon of beer, and 4 "amarettos." I'd say your BAC would probably be somewhere around 0.23 to 0.28, if you are between 250 to 350 pounds. (113 to 158kg) If you are any lighter, 200 pounds and lower (90kg), you would be in a coma, or dead, or the drinking was spaced out over a good period of time. Somewhere around 6-8 hours of continuous drinking but not binging.

My source: I was an ex-bartender who dealt with many people who would "count their shots" but somehow the number would always be driven up to somehow impress people... Though that impresses no one. Know what impresses me; Knowing when to stop, call a cab and go home.

• Like 2

You're an .... nope I can't say what I want without getting a warning. Anyway, I've always thought that bragging about alcohol intake is one of the most immature things to do. But yeah, have fun with it, I do hope for you you don't drive though

You're an .... nope I can't say what I want without getting a warning. Anyway, I've always thought that bragging about alcohol intake is one of the most immature things to do. But yeah, have fun with it, I do hope for you you don't drive though

never drink and drive stupid thing to do... I dont drive even if all i did was sip some ones alcohol I think you are a terrible person even if you have half a shandy and drive

I don't know why they compare it to the legal limit for driving where there is no allegation that he was even driving, making this limit irrelevant to the case.

Frame of reference.