Neowin.net Minecraft Server (Old Server)

Message added by Brandon H,

Come join the new Minecraft server discussion thread :)

On 1/5/2016 at 5:32 AM, Magoo said:

could my friend cmmeeks18 be whitelisted on the server ? 

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Whitelisted.

7 hours ago, Shadrack said:

Cool. I'll log in and check it out. Looks like I need to be whitelisted.

My username is: Nickerbocker007

If someone could whitelist me I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Whitelisted. Have fun.

A few remarks about the future of the server:

Minecraft 1.9 is coming soon, most likely by the end of this month. I'm not going to update on day one; ideally there will be a Spigot build of 1.9 soon after the vanilla release we can switch to. The server is not going to be reset for 1.9; the changes in the overworld don't require a reset. Only the End will have to be reset.

Spawn will remain at its current location, x = 10,000/z = 10,000. The original spawn area is crowded enough; I'd rather see new players expand in different areas. Should you want to travel between old and new spawn though - there are a road and a minecart track connecting the two, thanks to William.

Creative mode will remain limited. To make it easier for new players I am going to deposit a starter kit in the chests of the rooms in the Spawn Hotel, i.e. the building right next to the spawn point.

1 hour ago, Frank B. said:

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Whitelisted.

Whitelisted. Have fun.

Thanks Frank 

hey @Frank B. I would recommend checking out Sponge again once 1.9 comes out.

Sponge is now in beta and from personal testing and others' experiences it is proving to have much better performance than Bukkit/Spiggot and seems a lot more stable than bukkit/spiggot has been lately (even in said beta status lol). The version for Vanilla servers is still in dev branch but they said it will be moving past that stage very soon.

There are already several plugins being created and even some being converted from bukkit/spiggot so that should not be an issue either

Got on and built a house off a ways from the "Arrivals" station. I'll probably log in and play some more. The mob density/difficulty seems really low to me though. The survivalist/role playing parts of the game appeal to me more than the creativity parts.

Are there harder areas I might go to and attempt or something?

I also noticed that Creepers are more-or-less disabled. Where do I find a list of other things disabled on the server?

The stuff that is built up in the few areas I visited look fantastically done. I really like the subway.

@Shadrack: The mob density is unchanged. Stray into the forest at night and you'll see.

Creepers damage only the player, not the terrain - mob griefing was turned off early into the existence of the current world. 

In any case, welcome to the server - did you remember to pick up the starter kit from one of the rooms at the Hotel Spawn?

I'm seeing more mobs now. At first it was like nothing was spawning around me, but I think that's just how it is... I'm a newb at Minecraft still and have to ask my step son's for advice.

I understand that folks don't want their stuff blown up. I kinda like the challenge, but with an all-time running server I can see where that can be a problem.

I picked up some stuff from the beginning area, but mostly just food and seeds. I went into the hotel but decided I'd just find a spot in the wilderness. Is there a good set of maps in the starter area?

12 minutes ago, Shadrack said:

I'm seeing more mobs now. At first it was like nothing was spawning around me, but I think that's just how it is... I'm a newb at Minecraft still and have to ask my step son's for advice.

I understand that folks don't want their stuff blown up. I kinda like the challenge, but with an all-time running server I can see where that can be a problem.

I picked up some stuff from the beginning area, but mostly just food and seeds. I went into the hotel but decided I'd just find a spot in the wilderness. Is there a good set of maps in the starter area?

There is a world map at http://mc.neowin.net:8123/ - have a look.

As for the starter kits: All the rooms without a name on the sign in Hotel Spawn contain some goodies in the chests. You're free to take them.

29 minutes ago, Shadrack said:

I'm seeing more mobs now. At first it was like nothing was spawning around me, but I think that's just how it is...

Mobs don't spawn within 24 blocks of the player, so you won't see any directly around you until their pathfinding locks on to you and they start searching you out.

Just now, illumination said:

Mobs don't spawn within 24 blocks of the player, so you won't see any directly around you until their pathfinding locks on to you and they start searching you out.

Plus, if the single player world I've used to try out the 1.9 snapshots is any indication, an improved mob AI combined with the new combat system will make surviving at night substantially harder once Minecraft 1.9 is out.

1 minute ago, Frank B. said:

Plus, if the single player world I've used to try out the 1.9 snapshots is any indication, an improved mob AI combined with the new combat system will make surviving at night substantially harder once Minecraft 1.9 is out.

That will be good. At the moment I find that once I've got a diamond sword I don't really die much after that. I don't even wear armor anymore as otherwise I would never die and there would be absolutely no challenge.

3 hours ago, Magoo said:

personally I really like just building but i wish i could switch between the 2 modes

I'm unfamiliar with the extent of modding and Minecraft, but it would be neat if different zones (arrivals, north, south, etc. from subway) could be at different difficulties or have different rules (i.e., /back disabled or Creepers that explode).

5 hours ago, Frank B. said:

As for the starter kits: All the rooms without a name on the sign in Hotel Spawn contain some goodies in the chests. You're free to take them.

That's neat. Where is the arrivals drop off from the subway? I don't see a marker for it. I'm trying to find where I ended up parking myself. If I try to get there from the arrivals station again (by warping back to spawn), I get lost...

Also, is the map based on what has been explored on the server by anyone or someone in particular?

Edit: Nevermind. I found myself on the map near the south station.

On 1/7/2016 at 9:05 AM, Frank B. said:

Thanks! As soon as I logged in, I warped back to the hotel and got a starter kit. Then I see you put one in my home. Thanks twice times!

What settings for dynmap do I need to render in a more 3d view on my server? I've been learning about Minecraft servers and found the mod Neowin uses for that awesome map. Default settings work fine, but it is just a top down view with really no detail. Any guidance from the ops here who set it up would be appreciated.

Thanks! Cheers!

3 hours ago, Shadrack said:

What settings for dynmap do I need to render in a more 3d view on my server? I've been learning about Minecraft servers and found the mod Neowin uses for that awesome map. Default settings work fine, but it is just a top down view with really no detail. Any guidance from the ops here who set it up would be appreciated.

Thanks! Cheers!

I'll have to look it up - it wasn't me who configured Dynmap. Disk space usage shouldn't be too bad.

3 hours ago, Frank B. said:

I'll have to look it up - it wasn't me who configured Dynmap. Disk space usage shouldn't be too bad.

I figured it out. My default map is the top down view map. Did not even notice the right-hand-side sidebar thingy. I was trying to figure out how to get a render of the nether or theend and kept trying different URL suffixes like /nether. Durp.

ive noticed that too. I do know how ever that the hard drive was getting very full and frank may have removed a lot of it