Neowin.net Minecraft Server (Old Server)

Message added by Brandon H,

Come join the new Minecraft server discussion thread :)

Dumb question,  when the reset happens, everything will start from scratch right?  Or will everything built now still remain? Just asking because I started building a new place, but will just wait if everything gets wiped. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

He hasn't. He tweeted this morning (Y)

Ah, good. :)

34 minutes ago, puma1 said:

Dumb question,  when the reset happens, everything will start from scratch right?  Or will everything built now still remain? Just asking because I started building a new place, but will just wait if everything gets wiped. 

Thanks

It'll be a complete reset, new world from scratch.

Finally got myself a new PC.  I decided to just buy a laptop; got a 17 inch HP Pavilion with the AMD A10 APU and 8 GB of RAM.  System info says it's got "10 compute units", and I believe that's divided up with 4 cores for CPU and 6 cores for GPU.  I've got 15 days to return it if I'm not satisfied.  I don't do much PC gaming, but my old dual core desktop was just getting down right painful to do anything with; and I figure for the $450 this ought to give me a decent upgrade that I can fold up and take with me when I need to go somewhere.

Still only getting like around 45-60 fps though in Minecraft (VSync disabled, all settings on max), but that's a heck of a lot better than the 15-20 I was getting.  I'm going to play around with Windows 10 for a little while and see how I like it.  I've never used Windows 10 except sparsely when my mom has a problem; I've been running Linux pretty much exclusively for years, but since this thing has Win10 on it, and some of my games require Windows, I'll give it a chance.  I took a Clonezilla image of the drive as soon as it came in the door before I let Windows boot up for the first time so if I try a Linux distro and then change my mind, I can basically put it right back to the way it was when I took it out of the box.

The end result though is that I can finally comfortably play Minecraft for PC, so I should be back on the Neowin server a little more, :-D  Hope to see everyone there.

Edited by Gerowen
  • Like 1

just coat my house in iron blocks, since I got griefed/hacked (my minecraft account was hacked), and I'll be fine. Stupid griefers!!!!!

is frank alright? i thought we were going to wipe and reset everything to crack pack

3 hours ago, Magoo said:

is frank alright? i thought we were going to wipe and reset everything to crack pack

He was active yesterday in the F1 topic. Maybe he is caught up with something?

Calling @Frank B. Come in Frank :p

Real life has a habit to interfere with gaming. Trying to get the Crackpack server up and running as we speak.

(Yes, Andrew's ping worked.)

• Like 1

hey could you Whitelist my daughter, ive explained al the Neowin Server rules to her and sh understands

username :- jessicajm

PS, What version of crackpack we using?  One i haves says incompatable :(

Maybe some newbie instructions on how to setup??

Edited by Nuculi

3 hours ago, Nuculi said:

hey could you Whitelist my daughter, ive explained al the Neowin Server rules to her and sh understands

username :- jessicajm

PS, What version of crackpack we using?  One i haves says incompatable :(

Maybe some newbie instructions on how to setup??

Open Curse>  Click Creeper Head > Browse all modpacks > FTP Presents Crackpack > Install

Added.

2 hours ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

Add to whitelist: XenosStratum

thnx

Added. :)

Yikes, i am really a newb, what's curse?

So I have to download the crackpack and install before I join? Where can I DL this?

edit: do I just have to set the launcher to 1.7.10?

Edited by puma1

You can install the Curse launcher from here: https://www.curse.com/games/minecraft

Once you've set up Curse, click on the Minecraft icon. There click on 'Browse FTB modpacks', then find 'FTB Presents Crackpack' in the list. Install it.

Launching the pack does take a moment due to the sheer amounts of mods in it. The server address remained the same as before - mc.neowin.net.

Holy moly, I can't login. :/

40 minutes ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

Holy moly this server is overmodded!

That's basic Crackpack for you, there's something for everyone. :P

26 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

Holy moly, I can't login. :/

Have you downloaded the latest Crackpack from either FTB or Curse?

15 hours ago, Louisifer said:

That's basic Crackpack for you, there's something for everyone. :p

Have you downloaded the latest Crackpack from either FTB or Curse?

No I hadn't, but it's insalling now. I didn't realize it was necessary, as it just worked a couple of days ago....but oh well, no biggie. Is it supposed to take forever to load, or is it just a first time setup thing? Even with 16GBRAM it's taking ages!

Edited by Obi-Wan Kenobi

Unfortunately it takes an age to load, it's got nearly 200 mods to organise, so you just have to let it do its thing.

I've got a question that is somewhat off topic.

I built my own family Minecraft server a few days ago.  It's only got 4 GB of RAM and an old dual core processor but it seems to run great with no lag even when my wife and I are both playing on it together.  I set it to Survival Mode, easy difficulty, and that's what I have a question about.  For this to be "Easy" mode, it is insanely difficult compared to survival mode on the consoles.  I mean there are mobs freaking everywhere.  I walk outside at night and there's skeletons and zombies absolutely everywhere.  My wife and I had to wait out a night yesterday because when we went to lay down there was 4 skeletons, a zombie and a spider all outside my house.  I went underground to this cave I found and I had to wall off a section of the cave not very far down because there is just so many mobs in it.  When I rounded a corner I saw 2 ender men, a witch, 5 creepers, 2 skeletons and a half a dozen zombies all in this one big open room, and every time I go through the little door I built and cross the bridge to get to where the monsters are it's like the 300 spartans facing off against the Persian Army, lol.  Is it normal for it to be this difficult when set to easy?  I wanted survival mode to give it a "little" bit of a challenge, and I didn't want peaceful because I know some things don't spawn at all on peaceful mode, but this is just insane, lol.  I did bump the RAM available to Minecraft up from 1 GB to 2.5 (using the Minecrat config file) since the server usually hangs out with about 3-3.5 GB free.

Waiting on the Neowin server to finish getting ready so I can join you guys in there for a while, :-D

28 minutes ago, Gerowen said:

I've got a question that is somewhat off topic.

Without sounding rude to consoles... They had to dumb down the game for the 360/ps3 with its very limited ram and how awkward controllers are for real combat.

Having lots of mobs in dark caves is a normal thing, they usually spawn in groups of 4 so it can build up it you take your time and its dark in there. if you don't want mobs hanging out around you base then spam the torches and make sure they cant spawn anywhere near you,

Remember survival is about surviving, play safe until you understand your enemy and then kick ass. :D

no hostile mobs can spawn if you are in peaceful so its essentially manual-creative mode. :)

6 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

Without sounding rude to consoles... They had to dumb down the game for the 360/ps3 with its very limited ram and how awkward controllers are for real combat.

Having lots of mobs in dark caves is a normal thing, they usually spawn in groups of 4 so it can build up it you take your time and its dark in there. if you don't want mobs hanging out around you base then spam the torches and make sure they cant spawn anywhere near you,

Remember survival is about surviving, play safe until you understand your enemy and then kick ass. :D

no hostile mobs can spawn if you are in peaceful so its essentially manual-creative mode. :)

I'm working on it.  Got myself a trap door in the bottom of my house that goes down to where it intersects the tunnel to the cave I'm working on so if there's mobs outside my house I don't have to try and get by them to make it to my job site.  I got mad earlier because I had mined a metric truckload of iron ore and got killed by a hoard of skeletons, and of all the things to lose, when I died I was standing next to some lava and my iron ore flew into the lava, :-(  Perhaps I should collect some of that lava and build some lava traps around my house.  Part of the reason I wanted the PC version was I wanted the possibility of an infinite world.  I know it's not "really" infinite, but from what I understand it's equivalent to the surface area of the planet Neptune, so for my wife and I it's effectively infinite, :p 

The Neowin server is still not up though, just checked it, guess it takes a little longer for a server with 200 mods to get going, :p

1 minute ago, Gerowen said:

The Neowin server is still not up though, just checked it, guess it takes a little longer for a server with 200 mods to get going, :p

The Neowin server has been up a few days running Crackpack, only went down last night for 10 mins for windows update, Make sure you have the latest pack or It wont let you on. :)

1 hour ago, Louisifer said:

The Neowin server has been up a few days running Crackpack, only went down last night for 10 mins for windows update, Make sure you have the latest pack or It wont let you on. :)

Ah ok, is that something I have to install client side?  I've never had to install anything client side to connect to it before.