Neowin.net Minecraft Server (Old Server)

Message added by Brandon H,

Come join the new Minecraft server discussion thread :)

Great I updated mine to 1.5 by accident and now cannot get onto the server.. anything I can do?

this is why I use MultiMC it gives me pretty much full control of my minecraft instances (version, mods, etc.)

Hey any chance of getting whitelisted please?

got a friend who plays (hippypoo) and he recomended this server.

Username: coolsil

Well just updated to 1.5 and realized that the texture packs that I use run like **** on minecraft with or without optifine. Until I can get that worked out I don't think I'll be running minecraft at 10fps. There just seems to be an all around performance hit on my computer. I get about 40 fps on my computer with 16X16 textures. I should be able to get 60 soooo...yeah.

Well just updated to 1.5 and realized that the texture packs that I use run like **** on minecraft with or without optifine. Until I can get that worked out I don't think I'll be running minecraft at 10fps. There just seems to be an all around performance hit on my computer. I get about 40 fps on my computer with 16X16 textures. I should be able to get 60 soooo...yeah.

Have you tried setting Smooth Lighting to minimum?

They added "Maximum" which uses the new lighting engine which fixes some lighting bugs at the cost of fps.

backed up my saves and running a new profile....same thing. It's a 20fps hit at least. I have hybrid graphics and I checked to make sure it was using ati. It runs worse with the intel graphics. I was using a 128 resolution texture pack at a solid 35-40 fps and now its struggling to make 10.

...oh, and smooth lighting didn't really make a difference.

I'm going to try this on my desktop later to see if my standard ati card fares any better.

backed up my saves and running a new profile....same thing. It's a 20fps hit at least. I have hybrid graphics and I checked to make sure it was using ati. It runs worse with the intel graphics. I was using a 128 resolution texture pack at a solid 35-40 fps and now its struggling to make 10.

...oh, and smooth lighting didn't really make a difference.

I'm going to try this on my desktop later to see if my standard ati card fares any better.

I get the same fps drop with 1.5 on the computer in my sig. I use MCPatcher though, and that puts my fps back up from around 11 to around 70-120. I talked to the maker of MCPatcher a few months ago and he said it was due to some serious flaw in the MC coding for animations or something of the sort. Anyway, patch it up with MCPatcher and I'm sure you'll see a world of difference.

Edit: You should also note that the difference graphics cards will make is not as big a difference as the CPU will make. This game is much more CPU intensive than it is GPU intensive.

It could be down to the packs you are using, Minecraft changed the way it handles textures now. Each block now has its own .png file and fully supports animation, sizes and a block reverts to default if your pack isn't updated for a new block yet.

It could be down to the packs you are using, Minecraft changed the way it handles textures now. Each block now has its own .png file and fully supports animation, sizes and a block reverts to default if your pack isn't updated for a new block yet.

It's not fully supportd even though It says for 1.5 on the website. I'm thinking it's the animations bug.

It's not just the texture pack that's the problem, it's on the default pack as well. Guess I just need to wait for things to get updated or use MCpatcher instead of optifine.

....yeah I just verified that mcpatcher fixes the issue.

.... might not want to use their texture pack converter though.

The 1.5.1 snapshot is out maybe that will have a bug fix for it.

Nope. I'm not even sure Mojang is aware of or acknowledges the problem.

.... might not want to use their texture pack converter though.

fixed. I selected "detect texture pack changes" and repatched.

stability issues with mcpatcher I'm using a newer version of optifine that fixes the issue. The issue is in minecraft though.

Jeb acknowledged the issue on Twitter last night; I'm sure he'll be busy on the Minecraft Subreddit trying to track down the core issue here.

I'm still waiting for them to fix vsync, every so often something "breaks" and it decides that it should render at 120fps, which kicks my fans in a bit.

Then again I'm still waiting for them to do chunk processing in a separate thread so vsync will probably take a while.

Jeb acknowledged the issue on Twitter last night; I'm sure he'll be busy on the Minecraft Subreddit trying to track down the core issue here.

yep, he just released a pre-release for the performance issues

I'm still waiting for them to fix vsync, every so often something "breaks" and it decides that it should render at 120fps, which kicks my fans in a bit.

Then again I'm still waiting for them to do chunk processing in a separate thread so vsync will probably take a while.

you can do chunk processing in a separate thread, with optifine. been doing that myself since like 1.2

I can't tell if he was just working on improving the performance of the new lighting system or the problem with block rendering. The lighting engine isn't a problem for me as I see zero difference in fps when switching between Maximum and Minimum. It seems the real problem is that the game is rendering all blocks multiple times, so when you use a high resolution texture pack, or one with CTM/random mobs, etc. it gets REALLY bogged down. I'll do some tests tomorrow when I'm on my desktop to see how my performance is with the new snapshot. I should also note, a lot of people have had a big improvement from turning Advanced OpenGL off.

^ honestly i don't see much difference visually from having the smooth lighting on maximum or minimum either. the only difference i see is when it's on or off

either way, i hope the new snapshot fixes things for you

they are playing on 1.5, waiting for the servers plugins to update for compatibility?

I think mojang needs a bigger test bed, 1.5.1 doesn't fix anything speed wise and I still need optifine to get the fps back up to 1.4.7 levels.

Server should be back up, will attempt 1.5.1 this weekend, so just a heads up.

Best to @timan25 on twitter for faster response :p

K, its on 1.5.1 right now.

Try not to build today, but go ahead and test things. If everything works for the most part, will leave it be. If not, I'll have to revert back.

So feel free to find bugs :p its live now.

Spent a good 30 minutes in the Nether (and lost EVERYTHING) looking for Nether Quartz Ore but it doesn't seem to be spawning. Any ideas?