Neowin.net Minecraft Server (Old Server)

Message added by Brandon H,

Come join the new Minecraft server discussion thread :)

Wow so I just realized I wasnt following this page and hadnt seen some updates recently go figure. But any way it looks like the server is down again.

Server is up and running. Did you use the new IP address? 104.208.240.71

The first page probably needs to be updated with that because it'll quickly get lost otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Tjarboe said:

I use: mc.neowin.net  

mc.neowin.net points to the old IP. Change the IP in the server settings to 104.208.240.71, and you're good to go.

On 2/2/2020 at 8:05 AM, Frank B. said:

mc.neowin.net points to the old IP. Change the IP in the server settings to 104.208.240.71, and you're good to go.

@Steven P. do you control or know who controls that DNS entry to request it changed to the new IP?

50 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

@Steven P. do you control or know who controls that DNS entry to request it changed to the new IP?

I can't believe the IP changed so long ago and noone thought to ask me to update the DNS 😛 Updated!

15 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

I can't believe the IP changed so long ago and noone thought to ask me to update the DNS 😛 Updated!

haha thanks Dave :)

edit: updated first post guys (Y)

converted the server to a Paper/Spigot server this evening. Retained the current world so no reset :)

Let me know if there are any issues.

Plugins/Permissions are still a work in progress but most things should work.

Plugins to take note so far:

• Clear Lag: clears dropped items every now and then to lessen stress on the server
  • Homes: there is a /sethome command now to set home warps
  • SinglePlayerSleep: If multiple people are on the server it only takes 1 person being in a bed to trigger morning.
  • Timber: use an axe to cut down a whole tree at once
  • Warps: though only 'warp spawn' is setup right now. could set warps to people's builds if desired so others can see them
  • tpa: you can request to teleport to someone or have them teleport to you; person being requested can accept or deny the request

It's very laggy in Australia, otherwise I'd have probably had a bit of fun in it from time to time. Ah well. Glad it's back up for everyone (both people who seem to use it :D)

I too have actually noticed it to be laggy since the ip change, could be me but glad its back up and running too :)

6 hours ago, astropheed said:

It's very laggy in Australia, otherwise I'd have probably had a bit of fun in it from time to time. Ah well. Glad it's back up for everyone (both people who seem to use it :D)

2 hours ago, Nuculi said:

I too have actually noticed it to be laggy since the ip change, could be me but glad its back up and running too :)

I heard it was moved to an Azure server when the IP was changed so that could have something to do with the lag for the international folks. the server is based in the states on the east coast it looks like.

If there was more of an interest and enough people willing to donate I could purchase space on a minecraft hosting site that would work great for everyone but I don't think there's enough interest on Neowin anymore to justify it.

idle kick is enabled purposefully. I can increase the time if we feel it's too short but as it is it's set to 30 minutes which should be plenty; if you're idle that long then you're not truly doing anything worth while I wouldn't think.

15 hours ago, Magoo said:

are you going to bring back the dynmap?

was going to but the physical server is on an Azure now as mentioned slightly above and unfortunately they have the setting enabled that forces HTTPS which dynmap doesn't support so that's a bust sadly :/

Idle kick is the first thing that gets disabled, many of the users use afk methods of farming. if theres no users then its pointless that the server is even running 🤔 afk kickers are only needed for full population servers that have queues 

59 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

Idle kick is the first thing that gets disabled, many of the users use afk methods of farming. if theres no users then its pointless that the server is even running 🤔 afk kickers are only needed for full population servers that have queues 

that's fair. I'll leave it off then :)

I should be working on a couple other things with the server over the next few days and want some people's opinions.

One of the updates I'll be adding is increasing the size of the Ender Chests. Vanilla Ender Chests aren't that useful IMO. Since this is a vanilla server I can't add the Ender Chest mod to have multiple so increasing the size seems like the next best thing. Most likely will make it a standard single chest size.

One of the plugins I'm contemplating is Death Chests instead of just having Keep Inventory on. One user has placed their disapproval to this one but I'm wondering what others think. IMO Keep Inventory makes things too easy; having death chests would make things a little more normal but still keep you from just losing all your items when you die if you can't get back to them in time. Obviously to keep things fair only the user the death chest belongs to would be able to open/destroy it (outside of a moderator)

Also wondering if anyone would like an economy on the server with GUI stores or anything. I've never set one up before but wouldn't be apposed to learning if people would like it and make use of it :)

Keep Inventory was enabled after polling the current players. There was only 1 dissenter, and that was Lou.

BTW, Idle kick is still enabled. Yes, I idle farm, and being kicked is a royal PITA.

I'm also on the server by far the most, and days can go by without any other players. We need to try and invigorate server participation. I have no idea how, but it's definitely more fun when there are more regular players.

1 hour ago, Slugsie said:

Keep Inventory was enabled after polling the current players. There was only 1 dissenter, and that was Lou.

was that while it was vanilla only or back when we did plugins before? pure vanilla it does make sense because without keep inventory your items just spew on the ground and disappear if you can't get back to them quick enough. I always played with the gravestone mod so Death Chests would be a great alternative on a plugin vanilla server IMO :) It's up to the majority though.

1 hour ago, Slugsie said:

We need to try and invigorate server participation. I have no idea how, but it's definitely more fun when there are more regular players.

I was thinking about asking our writers to do an article about the server on the front page but my fear with that is it would draw in the randoms, troublemakers, one post wanderers, and not much else.

We'll have to think about things we can try.