Neowin.net Minecraft Server (Old Server)

Message added by Brandon H,

Come join the new Minecraft server discussion thread :)

ok I swapped out Auto Utilities with Right Click Harvest last night. Turns out Auto Utilities was the one that was throwing up some red text when the server would start so it must also be just base 1.16 compat as it hasn't been updated in a couple months. Shame as it had some nice extra functionality but Right Click Harvest should do just fine 🙂

Also double checked the mob control datapacks I had installed and turns out I missed the Enderman (oops); there's one added that should prevent them from picking up blocks now.

still need to look more into the magic sorting system datapack; looks quite in depth compared to what we have so far. I'll play with it a bit and if it doesn't cause too much lag then I'll add it in 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I cant access either, @Frank B. is my goto if it doesn't come back overnight. I think its a bit late now for Frank so server may be down until tomorrow evening if it doesn't reinitialise RDP before then.

6 hours ago, Louisifer said:

I cant access either, @Frank B. is my goto if it doesn't come back overnight. I think its a bit late now for Frank so server may be down until tomorrow evening if it doesn't reinitialise RDP before then.

I won't be able to check the server until about 10 hours from now, I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Slugsie said:

So looks like the server is off? Is it a virtual server or a physical box? Who needs to go give it a kick?

Frank B!!!! Were ar thou at you!

@Frank B. so who has physical access to the server? does someone need to get a hold of Timan maybe?

I wouldn't mind setting up a new host but it would be a shame to lose our maps

3 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

@Frank B. so who has physical access to the server? does someone need to get a hold of Timan maybe?

I wouldn't mind setting up a new host but it would be a shame to lose our maps

Timan or maybe DaveLegg might know what happened to the server.

9 minutes ago, Frank B. said:

Timan or maybe DaveLegg might know what happened to the server.

@DaveLegg do you have physical access to the Minecraft Server? if not someone would need to contact Timan on Facebook most likely.

all else fails I'm looking at some free minecraft hosts; we'd just lose our current map if we can't bring this server back up which would be sad but we'd recover.

edit: pinged Steve on Slack to see if he has a way to contact Timan too just in case.

36 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

@DaveLegg do you have physical access to the Minecraft Server? if not someone would need to contact Timan on Facebook most likely.

all else fails I'm looking at some free minecraft hosts; we'd just lose our current map if we can't bring this server back up which would be sad but we'd recover.

edit: pinged Steve on Slack to see if he has a way to contact Timan too just in case.

Nope, minecraft is nothing to do with me, it's hosted with a third party. I know absolutely nothing about it I'm afraid

Hey guys

I setup a new server on a free host with the same datapacks as ours. new map for now until (if) we manage to get access to our previous server so have at it fresh :) 

new URL: NeowinMC.aternos.me

edit: scratch that idea; apparently that free host doesn't stay running long. Looking into an alternate solution. Looks like a lot of free hosts have similar limitations so may need to go paid.

looks like the paid hosts have gotten a lot cheaper over the years so I may be willing to set one of those up. I'll think about it :) 

edit2: so looking into things I found out the limitation with the free hosts is you have to keep the console webpage up, likely so they can keep serving ads for revenue. I am already in the process of setting up a dedicated pi machine at my house so once I get that and set it up I should be able to keep a free server running indefinitely. might be a few weeks but I'll keep everyone updated (Y)

aternos does seem like quite the capable free host; despite the limitation mentioned it offers 2gb ram for the serve so that should server our needs quite well.

Thanks for the efforts Brandon.

However until we know what's happened to the proper server I'll wait. I have a ridiculous amount of effort into collecting resources and doing mindless stuff that I'm very reluctant to start afresh unless absolutely necessary.

Anyone been able to get a hold of @Timan?

12 minutes ago, Slugsie said:

Thanks for the efforts Brandon.

However until we know what's happened to the proper server I'll wait. I have a ridiculous amount of effort into collecting resources and doing mindless stuff that I'm very reluctant to start afresh unless absolutely necessary.

Anyone been able to get a hold of @Timan?

@Steven P. is trying to reach him on Facebook but no word yet.

I'd very much like to save our world if possible as well. Even if we do get access to the server again I'm just going to make a copy of the world and move it off there in case this happens again.

fingers crossed though that Timan will be able to get the server going again and that it's not just dead dead.

edit: honestly we probably should have moved the minecraft sever a long time ago. Timan left our community more than a year ago now and it was one of his servers in a datacenter somewhere we've been running it off of.

2 hours ago, Brandon H said:

@Steven P. is trying to reach him on Facebook but no word yet.

I'd very much like to save our world if possible as well. Even if we do get access to the server again I'm just going to make a copy of the world and move it off there in case this happens again.

fingers crossed though that Timan will be able to get the server going again and that it's not just dead dead.

edit: honestly we probably should have moved the minecraft sever a long time ago. Timan left our community more than a year ago now and it was one of his servers in a datacenter somewhere we've been running it off of.

If ya want I could set up a VM on my server to run it, hit me up in a DM, it'll be linux though not windows.

Why dont we just go the pay route on a new server, im willing to chip in and im sure people who are here in th forum would cuhip in every month/year!

As for starting again im not fussed, was getting bored anyway! lol

• Like 1

Seems they day has come where they finally killed off the service.

I was able to download some VHD file from azure, but the account is in "Read-Only" mode and seems it will be removed any day now. So if anyone has any ideas how to get the files off of that, there may be a way to get the maps etc.

6 minutes ago, Timan said:

Seems they day has come where they finally killed off the service.

I was able to download some VHD file from azure, but the account is in "Read-Only" mode and seems it will be removed any day now. So if anyone has any ideas how to get the files off of that, there may be a way to get the maps etc.

I think Windows 10 supports natively mounting VHD files like an ISO so shouldn't be too hard to get the maps off it :) 

4 hours ago, Nuculi said:

Why dont we just go the pay route on a new server, im willing to chip in and im sure people who are here in th forum would cuhip in every month/year!

I'd be happy to put some money into a paid server. 

4 hours ago, Nuculi said:

12 minutes ago, illumination said:

I'd be happy to put some money into a paid server. 

If people are willing to pitch in then yeah we could definitely setup a paid server.

depending on the resources (RAM) we need it would be anywhere from $60-80 annually which isn't too bad. I'd just need to figure out how to setup a donation system for that as I wouldn't want to use my personal PayPal.

19 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

If people are willing to pitch in then yeah we could definitely setup a paid server.

depending on the resources (RAM) we need it would be anywhere from $60-80 annually which isn't too bad. I'd just need to figure out how to setup a donation system for that as I wouldn't want to use my personal PayPal.

I am happy to accept donations at our subscribe@neowin.net PayPal if the donation is clearly marked MINECRAFT SERVER. It will go towards that and that alone, we can maybe setup a system where we can recognise donors too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1