Photo

Connecting printer to th Internet

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 LouisMoore16

LouisMoore16

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 20:51

I've just bought a wireless Epson XP-202 printer. I am trying to get it connecting to my BT Home Hub 3.

I am following the instructions from the disk provided and its telling me to 'press the WPS button on my router and hold down the wifi button on the printer'. I can do both of these, however after a few minutes the printer fails to connect to the Internet.

Following a quick search of the Internet, I discovered that BT have disabled their WPS button on their routers. The only other option is to connect the printer via USB, however Epson don't provide you with the USB to the printer (clever Epson).

Any idea how I can get the printer connected to my wifi?

#2 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 18 December 2012 - 20:57

The printer doesn't have a tiny graphical interface?

You'll have to manually tell it what WiFi network to connect to (and what the password is). All WiFi printers I've encountered had a little menu on the display to do that. If not you'll have to get a USB cable. You might be able to do the WiFi setup over USB with some Epson tool though.

#3 OP LouisMoore16

LouisMoore16

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 21:03

The printer has no little interface. Just a set of buttons on the front of the printer.

#4 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 18 December 2012 - 21:07

Ohh Do you mean your local LAN or internet! I was going to use NMap the other day to find open printers! It would be fun to print to a printer random crap on the other side of the world haha! Same when I first got Bluetooth you could stand outside one of the phone shops in Town and print randomly to a Bluetooth printer. No one in the shop had a clue what was going on ;-)

#5 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 89
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 21:09

Yeah from looking that the manual does not look like you can set it up manual - get a better printer, or buy a usb cable - printers are almost always type B. You don't have a type A to B cable??

Buy one and put it in your computer toolbox - they are like < $5

#6 OP LouisMoore16

LouisMoore16

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 21:14

I bought the printer on a student fee. It came it £60 all together including things like ink.

I'm just thinking though, will this USB allow me to set it up to wifi or will it always have to be plugged in via a cable. If it always has to be plugged in it would just return it because I need it to be wifi so I can print from my ipad.

#7 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 21:20

From the manual

https://www3.epson.c...?productId=2117

Once you setup the wifi info you can remove the cable

wifisetup.jpg

#8 OP LouisMoore16

LouisMoore16

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 21:24

Okay thanks very much. Il try buy one tomorrow and see how it goes.

#9 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2012 - 21:49

Don't you have someone near by you can just borrow their printer cable from? Should only take you a few minutes to get it up and running on wifi after you have the cable. Anyone that has a printer or scanner, etc.. should have such a cable.

#10 OP LouisMoore16

LouisMoore16

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 21:52

I shall ask. I only know one 'tech guy' nearby in my town as I'm from the city. If not I will just go to my local supermarket and get one as I have checked their website and they sell one for £2

#11 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:39

doesn't need to be a tech guy - just a guy/gal with a printer or scanner ;)

#12 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:42

99p

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27cd6e48bd

#13 OP LouisMoore16

LouisMoore16

Neowinian

Posted 19 December 2012 - 19:41

So I got a USB cable from my local super market. I've connected it to my laptop, it found my wifi name and attempts to connect. However I'm getting the error message:

'Confirm security mode. The security set for the router/access point is not supported by the printer. For example, a router/access point set to 802.11n with WPA-PSK (TKIP) security is not support'

There was no option between selecting my router name and this error message to enter my wifi key. What can I do?

#14 OP LouisMoore16

LouisMoore16

Neowinian

Posted 19 December 2012 - 20:07

Spoke to BT directly and they told me to change my security settings to WEP, which I did and it now connects to the wifi.

#15 rancid-lemon

rancid-lemon

Neowinian

Posted 19 December 2012 - 20:34

WEP is not secure bud. Wouldn't advise keeping it that way unless you absolutely have/want to.

One way round this would be to plug your printer into a desktop pc via this new cable and share printer via windows/whatever OS you are using.