Front Flashing Gatso?

Yesterday was driving back from work when a Gatso camera flashed me twice from the opposite side with me travelling towards it, when I looked at the speedo it was at 40mph in a 30mph. Did this completely unintentionally as the section I was driving before the speed limit was 40. Anyway from what I read online you cannot get prosecuted by a Gatso camera if it flashed you from the front. The camera itself was definitly pointing only at the cars that drive away from it, but when I drove back to check the marking the marking on the side I was driving were further back from the camera so obviously the viewing angle is increased.

So does anyone know whether its possible that I could be getting a letter through the post? Im really worried about this :(.

I was driving in the direction of the red arrow.

post-179069-0-05416600-1355910058.gif

The fact is what's already happened has happened, there is nothing you can do whether it is going to be in the post or not, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it and you will find out soon enough if they just put in front-facing gatsos just in time to get you.

We have cameras that are forward facing as well as ones at traffic intersections that will flash you from behind. i.e jumping a red traffic light or going through the intersection too fast, others, like on the freeway, will flash from the front. Hope that you do not get a surprise in the mail.

As far as I'm aware Gatso cameras in the UK can only do you for speeding from the rear. I read something about they not allowed to because the flash could blind/startle you. There ARE different types of cameras though that can get you from the front.

EDIT: Had a quick look

Fixed Gatso speed cameras are rear facing. This is so the cameras 'flash' does not blind oncoming motorists. Unfortunately, this also means the cameras are not always viewable until the last second (as pictured above).

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/gatso.htm

You should be okay, but be more careful next time ;)

Well I hope everything is fine, already got 3 points 2 years ago for red light dont want to make that 6. Looks like Ill just have to wait a few weeks.

I notice your near London - the thing I've noticed since moving to that part of the UK from somewhere more rural is that there are SO many cameras that one of them one day will get you.

There are plenty of front-facing cameras - one near Heathrow for example. They are usually smaller and the porthole rounder.

However, the one pictured above is definitely a rear-only-facing camera. The markings are on both side of the road to stop people from trying to evade verification (the lines are used to verify the speed) by driving on the opposite side.

Not to worried that you couldn't just drive properly eh? ;)

You should be fine, my flat mates a traffic cop and he said no UK based speed cameras flash you from the front due to dazzling hazard.

I wouldn't worry. I've been flashed by these things travelling in the right direction and obeying the speed limit. Nothing came of it.

I think sometimes other things just set them off, or they just discharge randomly.

Was it two flashes or one flash btw you didn't say? Pretty sure those styles of camera need to take two pictures for a comparison of the speed which is what the markings are there for