Lunch Lady Fired for Giving Free Lunch to Low-Income Student

Normal procedure if he couldn't afford his lunch was to get Bread, cheese and milk. Nobody was going to go hungry

Would you seriously raise your child on bread, cheese and milk? That doesn't even come close to meeting a child's nutritional needs.

Would you seriously raise your child on bread, cheese and milk? That doesn't even come close to meeting a child's nutritional needs.

Once again, not starving.

I'm glad they rehired her. She's a great person for caring about the children she serves food to. It's unfortunate that she broke the rules but in hindsight, she helped a child and it's unlikely that the company lost money from the free lunches.

Dumb ****ing company. They should never have rehired her. What she did was dead wrong and she deserved to be fired like that.

Because you know more than the company and have knowledge of their policies right? Or do you believe she should have been fired and not re-hired on principle alone? :rolleyes:

You are missing the point that "the kid isn't being raised right anyways" because he has no money for lunch to begin with. Grill Cheese and Milk is better than nothing, and its only lunch, its not dinner or breakfast. I mean come on, when I was in high school we could get our own lunch "ala cart" and we used to get a Hamburger and French Fries or Pizza EVERY DAY of the week. With a Coke, or Tea... No healthy milk for us

Not relevant. Starving is about more than a physical feeling of hunger. People that don't get the necessary nutrients when growing up will not develop properly.

You are missing the point that "the kid isn't being raised right anyways" because he has no money for lunch to begin with. Grill Cheese and Milk is better than nothing, and its only lunch, its not dinner or breakfast. I mean come on, when I was in high school we could get our own lunch "ala cart" and we used to get a Hamburger and French Fries or Pizza EVERY DAY of the week. With a Coke, or Tea... No healthy milk for us

Not everyone that falls on hard times does so because of apathy just FYI

You guys are also forgetting that part of her concern was so the kid wouldn't be picked on. Chances are he was getting picked on anyway for having ratty clothes, etc. Being the kid eating the same "poor food" every day just gives the bullies more ammunition.

That isn't the only reason, nor the most important one really, but it's a point worth noting.

I'm glad the company hired her back. I'm glad she showed compassion for another human being.

However, I would have given the person in question the benefit of the doubt and not have immediately fired her. I would have listen and verified what she was saying. I would admonish her for her lack of communication in this regard so that it could be properly addressed. Without good intention, I would have given the choice to pay for all meals or be fired. But that's not the case.

Points here are: Compassion for others, Give benefit of the doubt where warranted, Communication with your superiors, Proper resolution

There are just too many @ssholes in this world. We'd be better off if everyone attempted compassion.