Google goes to war with Microsoft

http://www.1800pocke...1800PocketPC%29

Looks like the heat is being felt by the folks at google. Why else would they fire a direct salvo at Microsoft and declare war by announcing that they will stop Exchange ActiveSync Support (EAS) for non-business users?

Since the introduction of EAS by Microsoft in 2002, EAS has been the defacto communication protocol to sync emails, calendar and contacts. Its is also the only way to have a decent gmail experience on Windows Phone 8 devices. Google actually referred to this move as ?Winter Cleaning? which can only be seen as a direct attack on Microsoft.

Microsoft has responded to this decision claiming that they were ?very surprised? and that it was a ?degrade? for users. They also say that if users REALLY want to do some Winter Cleaning, they should immediately switch to Outlook.com. As of now, when google stops EAS support, WP8 users will have a tough time ? since the platform only supports POP.

What a d*** move.

You're pretty late to post this.

And seeing how much they "clean out", I don't really think it's an attack at Microsoft.

Glassed Silver:mac

Well, I'd hope the majority of WP users have an outlook.com account (in addition to a Gmail account). You could setup mail forward to your outlook.com email, and view emails that way, and such (although not ideal at all). It seems Google wants nothing to do with WP...

You miss another news that google has changed youtube backend to break all third party WP7/8 youtube apps.

Google feels more threaten from WP8 than iPhone, because it is likely that android users will move to WP8 than iPhone users.

Well, I'd hope the majority of WP users have an outlook.com account (in addition to a Gmail account). You could setup mail forward to your outlook.com email, and view emails that way, and such (although not ideal at all). It seems Google wants nothing to do with WP...

Why would a Windows Phone user need an Outlook.com account? I never had one when I used my Windows Phone device and I don't have a GMail either for when I'm using my SIII. This isn't the 90s where everyone ran around using their ISP supplied email address. I don't see the need to tie my email to the company I'm picking for my phone OS...

• Like 1

Why would a Windows Phone user need an Outlook.com account? I never had one when I used my Windows Phone device and I don't have a GMail either for when I'm using my SIII. This isn't the 90s where everyone ran around using their ISP supplied email address. I don't see the need to tie my email to the company I'm picking for my phone OS...

Uh...he said he hoped and is kind of right because WP is pretty much useless without a Microsoft account. I can't think of any valid reason why would someone not have one if they get a WP.

Uh...he said he hoped and is kind of right because WP is pretty much useless without a Microsoft account. I can't think of any valid reason why would someone not have one if they get a WP.

MS Account != Outlook.com email account

I have a MS account, but I don't have an Outlook.com account.

MS Account != Outlook.com email account

I have a MS account, but I don't have an Outlook.com account.

I kind of knew you would say this but I think OP's intention was pretty clear. If you open a new MS account it is more than likely that you will end up with hotmail/outlook account. To raise the ever so popular "normal people" argument - "normal people" will have it and may be tiny % of hyper-power-users :p like you won't.

I don't see it as an attack at all. I think Google evaluated the service and noticed not many non-paying customers use it, so they dropped it for free users. You can still get it if you pay.

• Like 1

I don't see it as an attack at all. I think Google evaluated the service and noticed not many non-paying customers use it, so they dropped it for free users. You can still get it if you pay.

This, but hey, wars, slams and all that get more clicks, so that's what the news spin it as.

Also being anti-Google is kind of hip now...

Guess the Apple-hate is being split up and shared amongst Apple and Google now. :D

I wonder who's next to join the club of the hated giants?

Glassed Silver:mac

I don't see the problem, Gmail supports POP and IMAP. If you're using an e-mail client that doesn't support these basic and common protocols, you need to use a different e-mail client.

POINTLESS POST:

In New Zealand, we have a channel that shows everything one hour ago from its parent channel, so say the news is on at 6pm, well this channel will show the same news boardcast at 7pm. OP makes me feel im watching this channel.

• Like 1

I don't see the problem, Gmail supports POP and IMAP. If you're using an e-mail client that doesn't support these basic and common protocols, you need to use a different e-mail client.

This is about syncing calendar & contacts, not email.