Your PC Hardware Projects?

I knew that you could get Laptop CPU's working in desktop computers with either certain motherboards or Socket Adapters but this is the first time i've seen a Desktop motherboard support laptop RAM. Perhaps not the wisest, cheapest investment of my money, but as something to do and potential Media Center (centre for us brits) machine i'm quite excited about the prospect of playing with it.

AOpen i945GMm-HL IBJ-485 Socket M Motherboard

post-119364-0-05590800-1356011876.jpg

I got a dual core 2Ghz Socket M chip and 4GB DDR2 Ram plus the laptop hard drive out of a broken laptop. (motherboard was dead) Gonna sell the laptop plastics and screen to cover the cost.

---

My 'project' isn't all that. I know some of you might have completed an interesting PC project, or perhaps will have great plans for one. Inspire me! What have you done, or alternatively what are you planning? :)

if i remember correctly - the Pentium 4 Mobile chips will fit straight into a desktop socket 478 and consume less power and don't get anywhere near as hot.

The regular Pentium Mobile chips required an adapter i think due to them being 479. It's a shame Pentium Mobile chips didn't have the same socket as they run faster, cooler and require less power than the Pentium 4.

Finally Turion Processors will fit into Socket 754 motherboards. Not sure if all variants this chip work but the chip is 64bit and there are both single and dual core versions.

--

Thanks for the link Mindovermaster. :) It's got a HDMI out too? that surely makes a tidy Media Center!

if i remember correctly - the Pentium 4 Mobile chips will fit straight into a desktop socket 478 and consume less power and don't get anywhere near as hot.

The regular Pentium Mobile chips required an adapter i think due to them being 479. It's a shame Pentium Mobile chips didn't have the same socket as they run faster, cooler and require less power than the Pentium 4.

Finally Turion Processors will fit into Socket 754 motherboards. Not sure if all variants this chip work but the chip is 64bit and there are both single and dual core versions.

--

Thanks for the link Mindovermaster. :) It's got a HDMI out too? that surely makes a tidy Media Center!

Well, I guess there is always new things to learn about PCs :)

I have a Turion X2 in my laptop but no socket 754 motherboard, the Turion X2 replaced a single core Sempron iirc so I guess that would also work in a 754 board ?