PHP & WordPress Memory Limit on OS X MAMP

Question

So I want to run this Mac Mini on maximum performance while testing my Web Development.

What's a good way to make sure this local server loads fast?

I thought to myself about raising the memory limit to 256MB, but I'm not exactly sure if that's the right idea as the standard limit is 8MB I believe.

4 answers to this question

IIRC MAMP sets it to 32mb by default.

Depends what you're trying to run on it, and where you're eventually going to be running what you develop. Some shared hosting sites keep the php memory limit at 8 or 16mbs. Things like Drupal running views will get around 128 pretty easily.

FWIW, it will throw a fatal error if you use too much, so feel free to run it and see what happens, then up it when you go over.

IIRC MAMP sets it to 32mb by default.

Depends what you're trying to run on it, and where you're eventually going to be running what you develop. Some shared hosting sites keep the php memory limit at 8 or 16mbs. Things like Drupal running views will get around 128 pretty easily.

FWIW, it will throw a fatal error if you use too much, so feel free to run it and see what happens, then up it when you go over.

Me and my partners actually run the biggest server Host Gator could offer.

Let's say I'll also be developing a framework that does things for me and I don't like things slowing down.

Me and my partners actually run the biggest server Host Gator could offer.

Let's say I'll also be developing a framework that does things for me and I don't like things slowing down.

I'm not sure what your point is, a script is going to run as fast as it's going to run. If php runs out of RAM, you get a fatal error. You should figure out how much you need and set the limit relative to that. If you allocate 512 and php is running through it because of bad code, you'll never know.

I'm not sure what your point is, a script is going to run as fast as it's going to run. If php runs out of RAM, you get a fatal error. You should figure out how much you need and set the limit relative to that. If you allocate 512 and php is running through it because of bad code, you'll never know.

That's true. Do you how when you run your server locally it takes time for the MySQL to load, but when you load the server from another PC, it's instant?