Linux, as a Whole

• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

#136 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 December 2012 - 20:05

@xorangekiller Thanks for the links. It isn't necessary to establish that all movies ever done are made using Linux "desktop" software and render farms, only that viable options exist and you've done that.

I guess the second part of the question is "So what?" This line of argument (that "Houdini is really good and works on linux") doesn't really appeal to anybody outside of a large visual effects company. It seems to follow the same argument that Mac users used in the 90s "Photoshop is way better on Mac OS 8 than on Windows so everybody uses it" or "Only a fool would even consider doing page layout without QuarkExpress/PageMaker on System 7." Today you might find Windows user making a similar claim using Solidworks: sure it runs on Mac OS X but nobody does it and Windows is clearly the best platform for that tool.

Linux users can easily grant those claims and point out "but even engineers don't play with Solidworks at home: they just browse the web, watch movies, and ship cat photos to grandma." It seems like the reverse strategy would work here too: "Linux has great software if you've got a $100 million dollar visual effects budget to spend…the rest of us are not convinced." It's not like anybody is going to be using that stuff to jazz-up their Christmas morning videos, though you might expect them to do a bit of editing using iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, or maybe even FinalCut/Premiere if they're particularly video-edit savvy. Are their compelling replacements for applications like WMM/iMovie, entry-level NLEs like Vegas, or FinalCutExpress?

Openshot and Pitivi are good easy to use basic video editors similar to windows moviemaker. Not sure about higher-end video editors, but lightworks is coming to linux in the near future.

#137 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 December 2012 - 22:41

I can't wait to see Lightworks for Linux. Should be awesome.

#138 OP +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 24 December 2012 - 23:49

While I often agree with you, I think that you are starting to come off as a little rude in this thread. I understand where you're coming from. Maybe this thread isn't what you originally intended it to be. That's OK. Every time someone creates a thread like this on Neowin it ends up more-or-less the same way. I know. If you posted the same thing on the Ubuntu forums it would probably go the opposite way. It plays to people's biases, and that's fine.

Well, I know very little of the differences in big boy software. Games don't work 100%, I understand that. But I never got into graphics or video editing. Or even used SSH but for a few minutes. This is from what I know. And everybody seems to contradict me, not teaching me the right way to think. And that is going to get anyone upset. Unlike all the pro's here, you seem to be the only one that fully correct me, just not bitching about it.

(why was this thread opened again? I told the mods to close it, and it was, for a time...)

#139 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 December 2012 - 23:56

Well, I know very little of the differences in big boy software. Games don't work 100%, I understand that. But I never got into graphics or video editing. Or even used SSH but for a few minutes. This is from what I know. And everybody seems to contradict me, not teaching me the right way to think. And that is going to get anyone upset. Unlike all the pro's here, you seem to be the only one that fully correct me, just not bitching about it.

(why was this thread opened again? I told the mods to close it, and it was, for a time...)

There is a guy names Bryan Lunduke who does the annual Why linux (NSFW) S** and what we can do about it.

He said some important things about Linux.

Linux is not about what it does not have but what it could have with your effort to fix it instead of complaining about it.
Where before we complain about Windows or OSX then hope they will fix it for us eventually.
There is where Linux works the best... people see a security flaw or issue.... then report it on a board somewhere then someone is already working on a fix. (then he changed his tone a quick one) Or that person just fixes it and puts it back into the mix.

That is where Linux is different than any other OS on the Market.

Here is his site you might find interesting.

http://lunduke.com/

#140 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 25 December 2012 - 00:03

except people want to use an OS, not fix it. even programmers, don't open linux source files to fix problems, they program for a living during their work hours, they don't want to fix problems on the OS on their spare time, they want an OS that works, not an OS with "potential".

It's one of the stupidest arguments from the linux camp, and one you hear the most often.

#141 OP +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 December 2012 - 00:09

Very interesting, thanks, redvamp.

#142 QuarterSwede

QuarterSwede

We have too much to live with and too little to live for.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 00:12

Truth it, I don't switch to Linux, not because it's bad, but because I couldn't find a reason to do so...

- Windows isn't that expensive, or comes pre-sold with the new PC
- I don't hate MS
- I never had huge problems with Windows (e.g. BSOD etc.)
- It can run everything is need

Same here except I'm an OS X user, although, admittedly, I use iOS a lot more these days.

#143 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 December 2012 - 00:25

Very interesting, thanks, redvamp.

http://www.youtube.c...g?feature=watch

That is the channel that has the -- Why Linux S** videos...
He also if you search in the box for 2012 a video that says ... Why Linux Does not S** 2012. as well.

#144 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 25 December 2012 - 00:27

The thing that stands out most to me is that you are using a GUI on a file server. Even Microsoft is working hard to move Windows Server away from GUI dependence! I think the previous admin, or whomever installed the GUI on the server, did something very wrong.

Also, if the "admin account" you refer to is the root account, not a regular user account with elevated privileges, that was probably your issue. Most desktop environments will attempt to prevent you from logging in as root. While it can be done, it is strongly discouraged for security reasons.

It was not the root account, and the same problem persisted across quite a few of the machine's account. It was just a normal Ubuntu install with a couple of additional parts installed, I'm not sure how exactly it was set up, but unlike Windows putting it straight was not easy. Nor are Microsoft in any sense trying to move away from a GUI, they offer some products without the normal GUI, but their main versions of Windows Server are still GUI enabled. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go all command line when managing servers.

#145 OP +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:01

It was not the root account, and the same problem persisted across quite a few of the machine's account. It was just a normal Ubuntu install with a couple of additional parts installed, I'm not sure how exactly it was set up, but unlike Windows putting it straight was not easy. Nor are Microsoft in any sense trying to move away from a GUI, they offer some products without the normal GUI, but their main versions of Windows Server are still GUI enabled. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go all command line when managing servers.

You never ran a Linux server in terminal, have you?

#146 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:25

Been using Linux for years now (only used Gentoo, never liked the bloated Debian distros) but after Win7 and now Win8 I haven't touched my Gentoo partition. I actually removed it when I installed Win8

#147 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:28

I've never seen that issue in ubuntu. It sounds like they did something to f up permissions. Windows can have permissions issues too.

#148 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:46

I like Linux for some tasks, but the notion that Windows is prohibitively highly priced so therefore I should use Linux is absurd. I agree in its freedoms, but I don't see much benefit in it being free.

Note: Probably 10 years ago, I was highly active in the Linux forums on this website and worked in Linux daily. I still have an affinity for Linux, but don't feel like it is a good desktop solution for me at the moment. In my current field of Engineering, most of the software I use and am invested in is either only available for Windows or best supported in Windows.

If I come across a project where I need a simple database server or some kind of server system, my first thought is Linux because why pay licensing if you can be a weasel...

#149 OP +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:09

Linux has more support than it did 10 years ago

#150 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:34

Nor are Microsoft in any sense trying to move away from a GUI, they offer some products without the normal GUI, but their main versions of Windows Server are still GUI enabled.

I was under the impression that Microsoft is transitioning more roles to Server Core at the request of admins. It would be a shame if they abandon that plan IMHO.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to go all command line when managing servers.

This is where I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go all GUI when managing servers!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!