Linux, as a Whole

• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

#181 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 January 2013 - 18:32

So my laptop reinstalled to Min has been standing unused for a day, during the install I had the same annoying issue I had with Ubuntu, where when it asks to connect to a wireless network when I'm tryign to input the password in the box the installer uses I get a popup. no big deal I just put it in the popup instead. but seems a bit weird and bad design.

Well today when I opened it up, not only had the popup come up, which it tends to do at times, but on the taskbar, I had like 40 instances of the wireless network authentication required popup.... WTF.... why is this dialog even allowed to have multiple instances...

Even worse, the only way to get rid of each one is to either click cancel or connect (the x s about the same as cancel), and both options take quite a long time. by that I mean 12+ seconds from I click untill the dialog goes away so I can close the next one.

You've run into some kind of bug, that's certainly not normal behavior. I've installed ubuntu many times on multiple laptops and never seen anything like that happening during the install or after.

#182 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:59

Umm, I think you need to go into the Network Connections, under your wireless connection, go to edit, on the bottom of the window is "Available to all users", check it, save it. It will stop asking you for the keyring. I had this happen a few years ago.

If I understand you correctly..

#183 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:48

it didn't ask for the keyring, it asked for the network password.

#184 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:03

The wireless (WEP/WPA) password? It should remember that... :huh:

#185 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:48

It does remember it, but the box still pops up frequently. The major problem isn't that tough, it's that after a while if left alone you have 40 copies of a dialog box that should only be allowed to exist once.

#186 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:51

^
Microsoft tells us that they worked a long time on a small tiny part of the GUI to make it just right that you may never notice in your life.
I don't think you have that from any free Operating System.
It looks cool thus I put it there vs. here are some data (n = 127k) and some mathematical evidence and a thesis on how to position these buttons.

#187 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:01

^
Microsoft tells us that they worked a long time on a small tiny part of the GUI to make it just right that you may never notice in your life.
It looks cool thus I put it there vs. here are some data (n = 127k) and some mathematical evidence and a thesis on how to position these buttons.

LOL- You do realize that it took them a long time to put the close window on the right side. It was not until Windows 95a that it actually moved.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#188 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:21

While Linux has improved considerably, it still has a long way to go. Driver support and installation is hit or miss. My brother and I were both trying to install Linux on our netbooks, he had a Toshiba, I had an LG. We couldn't find a single distro that would work for both of us. I could get openSuSE installed, but Fedora would hang. He could install Fedora, but openSuSE would abort the install looking for an optical drive (obviously there isn't one, it's a netbook). Any distro I do manage to get installed on any of the hardware I have always doesn't work in some fashion or other. I've had WiFi not work, sound not work, graphics card not work (no X for me), and so on. I haven't had a single experience that I could describe as just working, across multiple hardware. The best luck I ever had was Yellow Dog Linux on the PS3. I've been trying to make Linux work for me since 1999, and there has always been a crippling flaw, and every time I try giving it another shot, either it's the same flaw or a similar one.

#189 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:32

thats weird

i installed fedora no problem at all and i have no optical drive either

#190 @Leo

@Leo

Under Derp Patrol

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:59

^

That's because there are very little design guidelines when it comes to Linux software. That is what happens when there are no designers involved and software developers are given free reign to "design" as they see fit. What you had 15-20 years ago (from design standpoint) you still see today in Linux (or the so called "multi-platform") software. This creates two issues, one is outdated software look and feel, and more importantly, no consistency between one application to another. It is really apparent in distributions that do have clear design guidelines, and have software designed with them in mind. Take elementary OS. It is very influenced by Mac OS X design guidelines, and indeed software written with these design guidelines in mind look good and consistent. But then you run other Ubuntu software. Then even worse, you download something like OpenOffice.

#191 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:15

That's because there are very little design guidelines when it comes to Linux software. That is what happens when there are no designers involved and software developers are given free reign to "design" as they see fit. What you had 15-20 years ago (from design standpoint) you still see today in Linux (or the so called "multi-platform") software. This creates two issues, one is outdated software look and feel, and more importantly, no consistency between one application to another. It is really apparent in distributions that do have clear design guidelines, and have software designed with them in mind. Take elementary OS. It is very influenced by Mac OS X design guidelines, and indeed software written with these design guidelines in mind look good and consistent. But then you run other Ubuntu software. Then even worse, you download something like OpenOffice.

I think it depends on what you download. I mean there are plenty of windows apps that don't fit in with my W7. Sure they are for windows, but they don't follow normal guidelines.

On my Linux however, everything matches. That's because I stick with sets of programs made by the same companies. Ie) I use all the Gnome tools for management (Gnautillus, Tweak-Tool, Gedit, etc) With a black GTK Theme and Faence Icons that make it all feel like it's one system.

I can do the same with Windows. It's up to you the user to control what looks good and what doesn't regardless of the OS.

#192 Buio

Buio

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:21

If Valve can get games to Linux (with a possible Steam console) I will switch to Linux 100%.

The ONLY reason I still use Windows is because of games.

(well ok, and foobar2000 too ;) )

#193 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:32

If Valve can get games to Linux (with a possible Steam console) I will switch to Linux 100%.

The ONLY reason I still use Windows is because of games.

(well ok, and foobar2000 too ;) )

I wonder how long it will take before people actually realize that steam on linux doesn't mean steam games on linux.

#194 Buio

Buio

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:33

I wonder how long it will take before people actually realize that steam on linux doesn't mean steam games on linux.

You are making assumptions. I'm well aware of the situation. It's not like I want the whole library tomorrow. If I can get many games on Linux in 5 years, then I will have switched in 5 years.

#195 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 06 January 2013 - 15:35

Games are games though. I don't care if I don't get HL2 on Linux. But who's to say HL3 (if or when it comes out) won't be on Linux. Who's to say valve won't re-release games? The point isn't having steam games, the point is having a big name like steam working on linux period.