333 replies to this topic

#211 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 06 January 2013 - 20:26

No, its not, unless you are spending all your time on the arch or gentoo forums

I'm on the Arch forums a lot, and I have yet to see issues with douchebaggery in the topics I've gone into.

#212 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 20:41

No, its not, unless you are spending all your time on the arch or gentoo forums

Funny thing is Arch used to be one of the friendly ones. That just shows how much worse it has gotten.

#213 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 January 2013 - 20:49

Funny thing is Arch used to be one of the friendly ones. That just shows how much worse it has gotten.

They are decently friendly as long as you read the wiki before posting :)

#214 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 January 2013 - 21:02

Yeah I've been to those forums

"What, you come here and ask that, didn't you read the Wiki, it's clearly described in this page on this 5000 page wiki, on this page that you can't easily find and is not at all referred to by your problem, but also fixes your problem, you should have read that page first".

not impressed.

#215 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 06 January 2013 - 21:06

the thing is, while Valve might release their games, you're not going to see EA, Activision, Ubisoft and the other big names throwing millions into Linux ports of games, for such a low market.

If Steam for Linux takes off, I can guarantee you EA Origin will take off to Linux too. EA isn't going let Valve have a monopoly. EA wants to get it's name in the headlines next. Besides, EA already has games in the Ubuntu software center.

Also, you keep bringing up the 1% thing. Stop, it's irreverent! 1% = hundreds of millions of people. If EA released and ported Crysis 3 to Linux tomorrow and sold it for 60 dollars a copy...well then you have yourself a nice chunk of change---and that's just counting Linux users. That revenue PAID for the Linux port. It's been proven time after time Linux users are willing to pay for high quality software. Why not use that to your advantage to line your pockets? You get money, we get kick ass games.

#216 firey

firey

Posted 06 January 2013 - 21:06

Yeah I've been to those forums

"What, you come here and ask that, didn't you read the Wiki, it's clearly described in this page on this 5000 page wiki, on this page that you can't easily find and is not at all referred to by your problem, but also fixes your problem, you should have read that page first".

not impressed.

Well, you should have read it. That's no ones fault but yours. They even told you exactly where to look. They could have just said "Google It".

Just sayin'

#217 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 21:09

The problem with companies like EA is that they'll bump up the prices of games just because they need to develop games even longer so they work with Linux. :/

#218 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 21:22

Well, you should have read it. That's no ones fault but yours. They even told you exactly where to look. They could have just said "Google It".

Just sayin'

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. If you don't think Linux communities are douchey, it's because you're one of the douches.

#219 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 06 January 2013 - 21:23

i agree, linux is fun when you're setting it up and getting it to work and look the way you want, but after that its like meh, i'd rather go back to windows so i can play decent games and use attractive software.

I think windows 8 is making alot of people want to move to linux. including devs, so it'll get better within the next few years. Especially after Valve gets games to run better on it.

Yep agreed, Windows 8 just made me want to install 7 again :)

#220 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 January 2013 - 21:26

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. If you don't think Linux communities are douchey, it's because you're one of the douches.

The fact that you are sitting here spreading ridiculous FUD makes you no better than the people you are complaining about. I've had mostly good experiences with linux communities, and always try to be friendly and helpful myself when providing help. I don't particularly appreciate people going around spouting nonsense like "most linux users are douchebags". Every community has its share of unpleasant people, no need to resort to such stereotyping.

#221 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 06 January 2013 - 21:31

I don't particularly appreciate people going around spouting nonsense like "most linux users are douchebags"

Meh you get that sort of thing regardless of what you're talking about, be it operating systems, games, or even what your favorite phone is. Always going to be some dumbasses in the mix with a superiority complex going.

Sure, I've ran into a few "elitist" types occasionally, usually the first things out of their mouth was the obligatory "Did you read the man pages????" (even when you mention specifically that you did), but you'll see the exact same nonsense on any Windows centric forum too. Nothing new. The only ones who tend to get on my nerves are the "Church of Stallman" types (who I can't resist baiting when they get started), or conversely the "Linux is too hard so it sucks" types.. the other people with attitudes just get ignored like usual.

#222 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 21:38

They are decently friendly as long as you read the wiki before posting :)

It may be stereotyping, but that stereotype fits you.

#223 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 21:39

If Steam for Linux takes off, I can guarantee you EA Origin will take off to Linux too. EA isn't going let Valve have a monopoly. EA wants to get it's name in the headlines next. Besides, EA already has games in the Ubuntu software center.

Also, you keep bringing up the 1% thing. Stop, it's irreverent! 1% = hundreds of millions of people. If EA released and ported Crysis 3 to Linux tomorrow and sold it for 60 dollars a copy...well then you have yourself a nice chunk of change---and that's just counting Linux users. That revenue PAID for the Linux port. It's been proven time after time Linux users are willing to pay for high quality software. Why not use that to your advantage to line your pockets? You get money, we get kick ass games.

http://www.internetw...s.com/stats.htm

Latest data of total worldwide internet users: 2,405,518,376. that means 1% is 24 055 183. Not exactly hundreds of million.

Now let's see out of the 2 400 million est. windows users, the biggest selling FPS franchise, CoD sells like 5 millions. that means it sold to roughly 0.2% of windows users. assuming the same percentage applies to linux it'd sell a whopping 48 000. yeah, that'd be totally worth it ;)

ps I give no guarantee my math is correct :p

#224 firey

firey

Actually, I don't post in the forums, as I use them for finding thing out. My point is, the forums and communities are helpful. They do point you in the right direction, and have had many problems I've faced be solved with a quick google search and going into the first linux forum that comes up.

So, no, I am not a "Douche" nor are the people in the communities I've gone to for support.

#225 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

i agree, linux is fun when you're setting it up and getting it to work and look the way you want, but after that its like meh, i'd rather go back to windows so i can play decent games and use attractive software.

I think windows 8 is making alot of people want to move to linux. including devs, so it'll get better within the next few years. Especially after Valve gets games to run better on it.

They said that about every windows since 95....