Linux, as a Whole

• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

#316 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:54

Yes you should also mention the state of some Video codecs... that one would have to agree to be installed. this is what people also complain about.

Why won't X video play but it does in Windows-- Not realizing that When you agree to install Windows you also agree to those terms as well..

When you try to play a video in Totem whose codec is not installed, Totem asks if you want to install the codec and does that for you automatically.
That's something that Windows Media Player is supposed to do as well, but I've never had any success with that. It keeps searching for a while and always fails saying it didn't find the codec, forcing you to go and search, download and install them yourself manually.

Windows has a lot more proprietary codecs installed OOTB, but considering that all those are installed automatically on Linux when you try to play a video, and that beyond the bundled codecs it's actually easier to get them on Linux than on Windows, I'd say that you are better off just going with VLC or MPlayer on both platforms anyway.

#317 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:45

I tried Ubuntu again last night. My goal was to see if I could get GuildWars 2 running on it following a video posted on YouTube showing a 'how to'.
I fell at the first hurdle which was to install PlayOnLinux. The software is in the software centre but refuses to install due to dependencies I came across a post saying this is a x64 issue. After failing to get it working following forum posts I read I gave up and re-installed with a x86 install. It installed straight away.
I don't want to use a 32bit OS though so re-installed with x64 and will try again tonight to resolve the issue.

Sadly this though is the same story I have with Linux each time I try it. As much as its moved a hell of a lot over the years, and continues to do so I might add, it's still a ball ache for new comers to the OS when things don't work.

Ubuntu for me has done some amazing work for the Linux OS. For me all default desktop environments have been fugly. Ubuntu though is a decent looking OS out of the box. I can't say though I am happy with the Unity launcher and when you search for you installed apps it returns shopping results. To me this is simply another form of advertising.

#318 tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 11 January 2013 - 20:40

I just want to point out,

In no way is Linux trying to compete with Windows and vice-versa - it is applications tacked on which make the two systems have the capacity to fill in the same space. It is the Unity's, Gnomes, KDE's, which are applications that have the desire to either re-invent the wheel or compete directly in a GUI sense. When I download the stage3 tarball, build my kernel and install my boot loader - My Gentoo machine has very little comparison to my Windows 7 machine. (Of course then I added KDE4 to make my life easier -- then I start seeing commonalities.)

#319 TDT

TDT

Hey yo!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:50

A little off-topic here, but is there such a thing as "system restore" for Linux? You know, like Windows has. I'm asking because I do like to play with various Linux distros from time to time (not in a VM, in dual-boot) and there are moments when the system just goes crazy after a simple nvidia driver activation (missing buttons, textures, low res, etc.). So it would be easier to just restore the damn thing to a certain point in the past. :)

#320 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:38

Do yourself and everyone on Neowin a favour a delete your account please, I cannot for the love of god figure why you'd make such idiotic comments other than trying to look as if you know something. As for Linux, use it if you want to for what you want, just don't harp on and on and b*tch continuously, you aren't entitled to sqat..... jesus the level of ignorance on Neowin is starting to irritate me :crazy:

want me to hold you back? haha! some people do not understand its not about how pretty it looks its about the backend and that linux is just amazing... <3 my ubuntus and backtrack, laptops and servers <3 also its free... and awesome... making it double awesome

#321 justlooking

justlooking

Neowinian

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:45

Some people seem to use Linux as a kind of protest against Microsoft and capitalism. Windows has always been fine for me.

#322 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 January 2013 - 13:37

Do yourself and everyone on Neowin a favour a delete your account please, I cannot for the love of god figure why you'd make such idiotic comments other than trying to look as if you know something. As for Linux, use it if you want to for what you want, just don't harp on and on and b*tch continuously, you aren't entitled to sqat..... jesus the level of ignorance on Neowin is starting to irritate me :crazy:

Yeah, I've been seeing more and more ridiculous comments like that, its getting pretty annoying.

#323 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 26 January 2013 - 16:51

A little off-topic here, but is there such a thing as "system restore" for Linux? You know, like Windows has. I'm asking because I do like to play with various Linux distros from time to time (not in a VM, in dual-boot) and there are moments when the system just goes crazy after a simple nvidia driver activation (missing buttons, textures, low res, etc.). So it would be easier to just restore the damn thing to a certain point in the past. :)

You could use Clonezilla or something similar to perform a full image backup prior to making drastic changes.

As for installing proprietary graphics drivers, that's probably a bad idea. If you really need the proprietary driver, make sure you install it from the repository - absolutely NOT from NVIDIA's website! Read this thread for an example of why that's a bad idea and an explanation of how it should be done.

#324 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:08

proprietary drivers usually don't work from repo either.

#325 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:10

They work alright for most people. Of course you see people asking for help getting them to work on support forums. Can people please stop making silly claims?

#326 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:15

I tried Ubuntu again last night. My goal was to see if I could get GuildWars 2 running on it following a video posted on YouTube showing a 'how to'.
I fell at the first hurdle which was to install PlayOnLinux. The software is in the software centre but refuses to install due to dependencies I came across a post saying this is a x64 issue. After failing to get it working following forum posts I read I gave up and re-installed with a x86 install. It installed straight away.
I don't want to use a 32bit OS though so re-installed with x64 and will try again tonight to resolve the issue.

Sadly this though is the same story I have with Linux each time I try it. As much as its moved a hell of a lot over the years, and continues to do so I might add, it's still a ball ache for new comers to the OS when things don't work.

Ubuntu for me has done some amazing work for the Linux OS. For me all default desktop environments have been fugly. Ubuntu though is a decent looking OS out of the box. I can't say though I am happy with the Unity launcher and when you search for you installed apps it returns shopping results. To me this is simply another form of advertising.

Luckily the "shopping lense" is easily removed. sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping. You can also totally turn off any online searches/results in the dash in the privacy settings in the control center.

And to be fair regarding the guild wars 2 thing its not technically a problem with linux, the game doesn't natively support linux so any way of getting it to work is basically a workaround, and that's why it gives headaches. if they had a native linux version I'm sure things would work much better.

#327 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:19

In my experience, proprietary drivers don't work in most cases, not just from the repos, but they are more likely to work from the repo because they have theoretically been vetted to work with the release. Still, I recommend against them in all but extreme circumstances. That said, as bad as it is installing a proprietary graphics driver from the repository, installing it directly from the binary on the manufacturer's website is even worse! I would never wish that fate on anyone.

That's not to say that all proprietary drivers are terrible in Linux. The proprietary Broadcom wireless driver, for example, implements some functionality needed for enterprise security solutions that the open-source driver does not. Unlike the proprietary AMD and NVIDIA graphics drivers, which one could argue similarly implement more functionality (more quickly, at least), the proprietary Broadcom wireless driver is very stable and has yet to break on any of the systems I have used it on.

#328 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:30

They work alright for most people. Of course you see people asking for help getting them to work on support forums. Can people please stop making silly claims?

Funny, but on thi forum alone, every person who's tried to install the proprietary nvidia drivers on ubuntu/Mint has ran into the missing GUI and needing workarounds issue. I've seen it on several computers, all in fact. So I kinda doubt it "works for most" people. I'd say most people never install the proprietary drivers, or they do the horrible workarounds to make them work.

#329 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:32

Video codecs? That's one I haven't heard anyone complain about in years, although I do remember Brian Lunduke ranting about it on the Linux Action Show. (I think it was during one of their Fedora reviews. He got very passionate during those.) In general, you can easily install restricted codecs from Debian Multimedia, Ubuntu Restricted Extras, or the equivalent sources for other distributions. Some distributions, like Linux Mint, even install restricted codecs by default. Personally, I've never had a problem with VLC or MPlayer not playing something, even without codecs from Debian Multimedia.

Although I am a custom codec/MPCHC user on Windows, VLC has been doing quite well for HD video playback for me. There are some higher bitrate videos that have some issues, but overall a great experience.

#330 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 17:35

Funny, but on thi forum alone, every person who's tried to install the proprietary nvidia drivers on ubuntu/Mint has ran into the missing GUI and needing workarounds issue.

Just my own experience of course, but I've not had issues with the proprietary nVidia drivers in the 'Buntus, just enabled it and went on my way. ATI on the other hand has given me nothing but trouble, but the boards I have fall into the legacy category now, and was in no mood to downgrade X to get it going, those boards were moved to Windows machines and replaced with nVidia boards.

As far as proprietary vs FOSS drivers go, again just my own experiences with my particular hardware, but found the proprietary drivers ran a fair bit faster, especially for ATI. A few benchmarks (Phoronix, etc) show a pretty hefty difference as well.