Photo

Linux, as a Whole

• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

#76 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:22

Try doing SSH in Windows. Yes, it can be done, but not natively.

Not that I care about these inane ****ing contests, but what do you mean by this? Several of my Windows servers have SSH daemons running. Not via Cygwin, not a virtual machine, some sort of compatibility layer or whatever you're quoting as "non native". Same goes for clients, which there are plenty of. Doing SSH in Windows is very easy.

#77 OP +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:27

Do tell me, how is that done? you cannot, as I am aware type "ssh john@123.456.789" in the command line, You need software to do so. A GUI.

#78 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:30

Not that I care about these inane ****ing contests, but what do you mean by this? Several of my Windows servers have SSH daemons running. Not via Cygwin, not a virtual machine, some sort of compatibility layer or whatever you're quoting as "non native". Same goes for clients, which there are plenty of. Doing SSH in Windows is very easy.

I think he means out of the box (already built in) without having to install some additional software such as putty.

#79 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:31

Do tell me, how is that done? you cannot, as I am aware type "ssh john@123.456.789" in the command line, You need software to do so. A GUI.

Just a shot in the dark but.. install a SSH client? Quite a number to choose from, and surprisingly some of them are even (gasp) console based.

I think he means out of the box (already built in) without having to install some additional software such as putty.

Ah. And that makes Linux better how exactly? Considering you're still installing a bunch of third party software.. just because it was bundled with whatever flavor distro? I can just as easily create a Windows ISO that has whatever terminal client on it and say it's built into Windows too. (Short version, so what?)

#80 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:39

Just a shot in the dark but.. install a SSH client? Quite a number to choose from, and surprisingly some of them are even (gasp) console based.

Ah. And that makes Linux better how exactly? Considering you're still installing a bunch of third party software.. just because it was bundled with whatever flavor distro? I can just as easily create a Windows ISO that has whatever terminal client on it and say it's built into Windows too. (Short version, so what?)

Yes you may say that but with Linux it is free...

Even the "Free" Putty says if you use it for a Business then you have to pay a fee to use it.
Pay a licence fee and if you are using one in a business and not paying a fee than you could be sued.

That is the point -- most are Free for home use.
I think that is what the other people were trying to say.

#81 OP +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:40

Sudo apt-get install SSH-server, you are DONE.

Bunch of 3rd party? Sounds like Windows.

#82 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:44

Why use SSH on Windows? Really, we have evolved, we use the GUI, we have Remote Desktop.

#83 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:44

That is the point -- most are Free for home use. I think that is what the other people were trying to say.

Fair enough, but many are free (or even open source) for Windows, or if you're that into it you can always write your own or even port something over. There's more than just PuTTY out there.

Sudo apt-get install SSH-server, you are DONE.

Click click, you are DONE. (Or if you get off on CLI, run it from a console.) So what?

Bunch of 3rd party? Sounds like Windows.

Erm ever actually look at what's installed in whatever distro you're using? A lot of third party in there too, sorry. Just because you can apt-get something doesn't make it an official part of Linux.

Why use SSH on Windows? Really, we have evolved, we use the GUI, we have Remote Desktop.

Handy for some tasks, especially when you're on a device that doesn't have RDP capability or is just slow enough to make RDP painful.

#84 OP +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:56

Erm ever actually look at what's installed in whatever distro you're using? A lot of third party in there too, sorry. Just because you can apt-get something doesn't make it an official part of Linux.

Tell me, what isn't 3rd party when you talk Linux?

#85 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:10

Tell me, what isn't 3rd party when you talk Linux?

The GNU toolchain and the Linux kernel. That's "Linux". If you need a primer, might want to read up about it over on the GNU page.
http://www.gnu.org/g...ux-and-gnu.html

Slapping something together and putting it on a disc/ISO/repository doesn't make it officially a part of it. Convenient, yes. Considering that the majority of that stuff is done by, well, third parties.. yea. It's third party. It's not a dirty word, and frankly a little puzzled why you even brought it up... I was just looking for clarification about your "non native" comment, you're the one dragging this in to another stupid this-vs-that argument, when if you'd bother to go back a page or two, I even mention I happily run both. (Wellllllll actually three, I personally prefer BSD Unix over Linux, but hey, that's the beauty about choice.)

#86 Rockrz

Rockrz

Neowinian

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:28

So... why don't some of the companies that sell their version of this OS do what Microsoft did... make software to run on the OS that they are selling?

Seems like that would be the ticket... as long as they keep it cheaper than going with Bill's OS and the software available for his party

#87 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:28

Ah Linux. The joys of my OS fundementals class.
And by joy, I mean complete waste of time.
Alas, I also tried Ubuntu a few times,
just by myself. Boredom.

Linux is like a Wordpress blog without content.
You think the default theme is ugly, find a better one,
and then tweak the PHP and CSS a bit to look better.
You feel good about yourself - you got something that looks decent,
personalized, OS.
There is still no content on your damn blog.
And this is what I realized. Sure I wasted hours making Linux (Ubuntu 64) look nice.
Now what? I have no use for this.

The file structure of Linux does confuse me.
Windows is simple.
For example, you will find programs in "Program Files"
Or user Date in "Users"
I still have no idea where to find anything in Linux though.
I just Google it.
"/" means a subdirectory of something
like C:/Program Files/ or www.mywebsite.com/forum

But alas, that is just the surface,

I bring you the browser wars.
What did IE9, and epiecially IE10, do differently from Firefox or Chrome or Opera?
Full blow hardware acceleration.
What is the alternative of "Direct2D" for OpenGL?
Oh need I mention that IE10 not only renders everything using the GPU,
it also decodes and renders HTML video using the GPU?
You may say that there is some OpenGL thing which renders text or something,
but alas, how stable is this on Linux drivers?

Then there is Video. Windows has WMP. Works fine OOTB.
Also DXVA2 native. 0% CPU for 1080p video - full HWA
There is also MPC:HC - full HWA.

Then there is the Inteface. That thing Ubuntu 12 has now.
Still got fully schooled by Windows 8 interface.
And hey, I agree with commentators,
W8 did not go far enough and has some inconsistencies in GUI.
It still blew my mind.
I cannot use Ubuntu 10 / 12 like I can Windows GUI - fast, without getting a headache.

Then development tools.
Aside from the fact that Windows is a breeze to setup for dual monitors.
And Windows doesn't have issue detecting your refresh rate.
Linux cannot deliver.

Also in Windows, you do not need to opt-in to proprietary drivers.
It just kinda detects it and installs drivers.

And then, just the question,
how do I max out my hardware on Linux?
GPU drivers suck, no full HWA for browsers, no good games, no good modeling software,
no photoshop.
I mean, for all intensive purposes, you buy good hardware to use it.
I see so many people have these hardcore computers, with Linux on them.
I mean there is some cogranite dissonance there.

Then there is stability.
Windows 7 is incredibly stable.
Can't say the same thing about an OS that gives me crackling sound.

I think I am going to end this saying that
maybe in Linux it is actually faster to do things through the Terminal (aside from a bunch of things that can ONLY be done though the terminal)
Windows, on the other hand, the interface is so simple, so polished, so ingeneously designed,
that Windows users do not know what the f-k a command line interface is.

#88 TokiToki

TokiToki

Neowinian

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:31

Even the "Free" Putty says if you use it for a Business then you have to pay a fee to use it.
Pay a licence fee and if you are using one in a business and not paying a fee than you could be sued.

That is the point -- most are Free for home use.
I think that is what the other people were trying to say.

Absolutely wrong here.
http://www.chiark.gr...ty/licence.html

"In particular, anybody (even companies) can use PuTTY without restriction (even for commercial purposes) and owe nothing to me or anybody else."

#89 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:38

Most actual Linux users really don't care if Linux becomes the favoured desktop OS. Whether it's #1 or not, we're happy with our PCs running our OS of choice.

This.

Seriously, this.

Even more pathetic are the Apple tards who're constantly looking for a way to mock linux. I'm sure each of us knows at least one iTard like that.

#90 simrat

simrat

pooonjabi!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 603 Symbian belle fp2, Xperia SL 4.1.2

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:39

Using Linux from 2-3 years as secondary OS, I like using it and messing with it to have that geeky feel. But i agree with most of users here, it relies too much on command lines. I have used Ubuntu, fedora, Mint etc but still command line use is there. Which is annoying sometimes when you have to do some simple tasks. Right now i have Arch Setup in VM ( which was pain in arse to set up ) and Elementary OS in VM. Rest i am mostly on Windows as all my games, softwares are available for it. Cant jump to Linux fully until Adobe Suite, Autodesk Suite, and all my CG applications are available for Linux.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!