My first attempt of a clean Win8 install with product key in bios. Wrks gr8

So yesterday I had my first chance to do a clean install of windows 8 on a machine that shipped with windows 8. Seeing how Windows 8 no longer gives you a product key and puts it in the bios instead, I was wondering how it was going to work. Well, it worked just how I hopped it would. I installed windows 8 using a full install cd. Once the computer booted for the first time, I checked and Windows 8 said it was already activated.

So I must admit, this method is REALLY nice. Gone are the days of rubbed off product keys and having to type in product keys. You run the setup and it just "Works"

For anyone looking for a definitive answer on what happens on a clean install, on a computer that comes preinstalled with windows 8, I can confirm it works great.

How does this work? Is there a menu in the BIOS setup screens that allows you to input a key?

Its already embedded in the BIOS/UEFI, with Windows 8 every OEM system includes a unique key, thats why it doesn't require any key and its automatically activated.

Yea it is pretty nice, though I wonder how it will handle edition differences. I expect it to safely fall back to the key method in this case.

Ok, so will this ever be able to be modified by the consumer? I mean, for system builders, will there ever be a way to take advantage of this feature?

No, the BIOS version is required to obtain the key from MS during the manufacturing process so it wouldn't be an option for anyone outside of large OEMs. It wouldn't be an option for us with custom machines.

Do the keyfinder softwares still work with Windows 8? Guess we will never know for sure. It's been useful for fixing some friends' PCs in the past. In most cases the stickers worn out and only way out was such utilities.

I thought XP did this as well. You can use any Dell Windows XP disc on any Dell computer and it will activate without a key.

Was the same for Vista and 7 on Dell Machines as well. I know for some systems covered by the Windows 7 upgrade offer when 7 was released, a few of those models got BIOS updates that added the Windows 7 key to the SLIC which permitted you to install it using the OEM Dell Disc.

Do the keyfinder softwares still work with Windows 8? Guess we will never know for sure. It's been useful for fixing some friends' PCs in the past. In most cases the stickers worn out and only way out was such utilities.

Yes, as far as I can tell they still can still retrieve the key.

Also, this feature is rather annoying when trying to install a different version of Windows than the one purchased with the computer. Windows will attempt to use the key in the BIOS and will only tell you that it that key cannot be used and then bring you back to the beginning of the setup install (with no prompts to enter a key). To get past this, you can add a ei.cfg file and a pid.txt file under /sources in the ISO. ei.cfg should be:

[EditionID]

[Channel]

Retail

[VL]

and pid.txt should be:

[PID]

value=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

where the x's are you key.

Hopefully this will save someone else the hours I wasted figuring it out!

• Like 2

Dell and the likes have been doing this for years (as far back as WinXP), albeit it was same idea just executed differently. They include a product key file on the Windows disc (hence why they always said only use the disc(s) with the computer it came with) and Windows would detect it and automatically activate itself without user intervention, rather handy. Obviously, this new way is much better and means even if you can't find the original install media you can still reinstall and take advantage of this neat feature (Y)

It does indeed work great...if you have a Pro copy of Windows 8. If not, good luck finding an ISO of the core "Windows 8". It took me a good few hours of digging through not-so-legal sites to finally find an ISO to format my new Lenovo laptop.

But yes, once you have the correct image it's awesome how easy it is.

It does indeed work great...if you have a Pro copy of Windows 8. If not, good luck finding an ISO of the core "Windows 8". It took me a good few hours of digging through not-so-legal sites to finally find an ISO to format my new Lenovo laptop.

But yes, once you have the correct image it's awesome how easy it is.

Windows 8 ISOs can be directly downloaded from MS. (legally without sub)

And I would advise to only download from MS if unsure about the MD5 Hash. ... as long as you have the key there is no problem.

And I would advise to only download from MS if unsure about the MD5 Hash. ... as long as you have the key there is no problem.

Got a link? i've been using the Technet ISO's, however it would be great for linking people to.

Do you have links, dont have technet account where does MS allow you to download legal windows 8 ISO images

Hey guys,

there are several ways.

MS offers Windows 7 ISOs through their DigitalRiver servers: http://superuser.com/questions/78761/where-do-i-download-windows-7-legally-from-Microsoft

They do not have something similar for Windows 8 but if one searches hard enough you can find direct links from MS.

Another LEGAL way is to use the Windows 8 Upgrade assistant. It will allow you to download and save an ISO to your PC provided that you have a serial for Windows 8.

http://www.intowindo...ng-product-key/

You will still be able to download windows 8 if you do not have your key on you by inputting the standard key that is bound to all windows ISOs. (this will not activate but will allow you to just download it through Windows 8 Upgrade assistant: XKY4K-2NRWR-8F6P2-448RF-CRYQH (pro key)

Some more installation/download keys for the different SKUs: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/installation/downloads/Pages/windows-8-adk.aspx

Note: If you do get your copy from not so official sources then make sure to verify the hash tags against the official ISOs which can be found here:

http://msdn.microsof...ndex=0&FileId=0

This will ensure that the image hasn't been tampered with.

Sorry InsaneNutter .. no direct links since they are not on DigitalRiver. But I think the Upgrade Assistant is a really nice and easy way. The only disadvantage might be that it wont download ISOs if you go from x86 to x64 but I am honestly not sure.

The type of windows installed will depend on the key inserted either by the bios or manually on non-bios locked systems.As stated ALL windows 8 systems have a unique key though this will not be the actual final registration key but you can look this up for further information.

To clarify there are no and I repeat no magic ways of registering Windows 8 with Microsoft servers unlike previous versions.