Windows Home Server 2011 or Windows 7

Thought this was important to point out, since it looks as though OP is downloading Server 2012: Server 2012 does not include Windows Defender (anti-virus). Windows 8 does, but server does not.

I use Comodo Internet Security on the Server 2012 side of my dual-boot; a free alternative for client-server usage is Comodo Endpoint Security.

Yeah that great -- but clearly doing what he wants with it is in violation of the EULA

"You may not use this software to: ? Develop or maintain Your own administrative or IT system"

Might as well have told him to warez it -- that is a FREE option as well.

According to Microsoft themselves, they are referring to commercial for-profit use.

Windows Server 2012 is, in fact, the *designated successor* to Windows Home Server (which went away with WHS 2011) - basically, my suggestion falls in line with Microsoft's own lineup.

Further, I have stated - in three different threads - advantages Windows Server 2012 has over WHS 2011 for a home server.

"they are referring to commercial for-profit use."

Where does it say that?? The site itself is for startups -- not for billy bob to run 2012 in his home for free.

Please point out where MS says its ok to run this software for your own personal use "anything you want to do with it" on that site.

As to features above 2011 whs - no ****, nobody said any different. Its next gen full blown server os, over stripped down WHS version -- duh!!

Nor am I going to dispute that essentials or foundation would be the versions for home or soho. But your still looking at cost WAY above normal budget of home to be honest. Sorry not going to spend $400 dollars on an OS, just not! Linux would be the way to go here - I don't see why MS does not see this? And price their home targeted OS more appropriate.

Plus he already owns 2011, so no need to fork over anything in cash -- other than maybe $20 for drive pool feature that was removed.

Unfortunately, Server 2012 does not have AV built-in like it's Windows 8 counterpart.

You can get around this however by downloading the System Center 2012 eval from here:

http://technet.micro...id=TEC_103_1_33

Once downloaded, extract the setup EXE using 7zip or similar then run:

SMSSETUP\CLIENT\SCEPInstall.exe

That will install System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection which is effectively the enterprise version of Windows Defender/Security Essentials. This will keep you protected and is the full version on an activated copy of Server 2012.

Unfortunately, Server 2012 does not have AV built-in like it's Windows 8 counterpart.

You can get around this however by downloading the System Center 2012 eval from here:

http://technet.micro...id=TEC_103_1_33

Once downloaded, extract the setup EXE using 7zip or similar then run:

SMSSETUP\CLIENT\SCEPInstall.exe

That will install System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection which is effectively the enterprise version of Windows Defender/Security Essentials. This will keep you protected and is the full version on an activated copy of Server 2012.

Evals, Trials and Technet/Spark style software is not what this person needs... Seriously you guys, Windows 7 will already do whatever we wants and you are telling him to use software that costs 100's of dollars for a setup he doesn't need to pay extra to do.

Stayed with WHS2011 in the end :)

Why not drop about $150K on a small SAN and Windows Data Center, then you'll need AV, so you should get Trend Micro Office scan and license it for 100000 clients... sound like a plan? :shifty: :laugh:

Evals, Trials and Technet/Spark style software is not what this person needs... Seriously you guys, Windows 7 will already do whatever we wants and you are telling him to use software that costs 100's of dollars for a setup he doesn't need to pay extra to do.

It was for the benefit of anyone that is using Server 2012 believing that they are protected and the full AV product is included within the eval package but it's not easy to obtain legitimately on its own unless you are TechNet/SA.