Optical sound to ..

Try to connect ps3 to surround sound ?

Also need to connect Digital box what also has only a optical.

And laptop.

Whats best way to do this? Box has one optical one left right audio and one HD

I was thinking is there a connection to convert opyical to left right audio but still give 5.1?? did a search but struggled to find right words to find a converter,

is there a box a could plug all devices too??

Surround sound for gaming, or just movies (DVD/BD) ?

I don't know if PS3 does DDLive (I don't own one) but if it doesn't then the only way to get surround sound in games is through HDMI.

Converting DD5.1 optical to stereo analog you will lose the true surround and only have two channels. The converter boxes might have something that converts the signal to a PLII decodable signal that would kinda preserve the surround channels.

problem with hdmi is that the surround sound box only has one and its and output.. so only way to connect to it is with left right sound or optical??

Just need something that allows me to connect ps3 and laptop..without messing with cables.

strange how only getting left side. center speakers wad of too

Optical won't work with most of the new codecs if your amp has them (DTS-HD MA, etc).

HDMI is about the only way to go to do any of the newer stuff.

Okays thanks!

Well theres only a output for HDMI do i need a extra box that uses left n right that has plugin for HDMI etc? only other thing i'm thinking is if i set it up like that I'd always have to have surround on to use the device??

I find it odd why they have such limited amount of input connection on back of the surround sound box!!