German scientists seek to clone perfect Xmas trees

The hunt for the perfect Christmas tree may soon become a lot easier: just pick a nice clone.

That's what German scientists are now working on: They are searching a way to ensure that the sensitive saplings of the popular Nordmann fir species grow into impressive specimens.

The fir is native to the Caucasus, but is often cultivated on massive plantations in Germany.

Biologist Kurt Zoglauer of Berlin's Humboldt University said Friday 40 percent of trees don't make the cut when they mature after 10 to 14 years. Some are stunted by frost, while others turn out the wrong shade of green.

Zoglauer's team therefore hopes to refine a method to clone particularly hardy and beautiful trees by 2016.

The project is supported by a German government grant.

source

post-37120-0-80798900-1356194130.jpg

And everyone will have the same tree whether they like it or not. Wonderful.

Nothing stops you from buying competitor trees or growing your own or going to the woods. (just make sure you get a permission and/or find a place where nobody sees you :p)

Glassed Silver:mac

I work on a christmas tree farm an trust me the trees in those pictures would get rejected or left alone for another year. It's not easy to make a nice looking christmas tree.

With alot of many different factors a nice tree could get messed up. Things like weather, some types of bugs can eat away at the tree, etc.

^ I believe a lot of Christmas tree farms in my area even paint their trees. They stay green for months after Christmas. Plus, I know they have to do a lot of shaping to get a decent tree.

And everyone will have the same tree whether they like it or not. Wonderful.

They will clone a variety of trees, not just One.

I work on a christmas tree farm an trust me the trees in those pictures would get rejected or left alone for another year.

The picture posted is only an illustration of what the Nordmann fir looks like.

It isn't really connected to the story, and is not a 'perfect' tree.

• Like 1

^ Oh, I'd be happy with it -- once you throw on lights, tinsel, bulbs -- it would be nice.

I added an internet pic, cuz I had no idea what that variety of evergreen looked like.