40 posts in this topic

Posted

Iowa court rules boss can fire employee he considers an
1 person likes this

Posted

I don't see anything illegal about terminating her. You CAN discriminate based on appearance, attraction, etc. No law covers that.

Posted

She was working for 10 years. She did nothing wrong. He's the one with the problem not her. You miss the point in that.

Posted

ROFL

Bravo!

Motivated by feeling and emotion, not gender. Such BS.

Lovely central USA.

Posted

I don't see anything illegal about terminating her. You CAN discriminate based on appearance, attraction, etc. No law covers that.

You might be able to discriminate of appearance in so far as you wouldn't want someone covered in tattoos and piercing working in a bank or a fancy resturant, but to fire someone because you find them attractive is absurd. If your marriage is in so much trouble you're thinking about screwing around, that is on you. You want to save your marriage? Go to a counsellor, talk to your spouse or even consider if ti is really possible to save it. Don't take it out on your employees.

Note: I'd have the same opinion regardless of the gender of the employer or employee, so don't start that nonsense.

Posted

She was working for 10 years. She did nothing wrong. He's the one with the problem not her. You miss the point in that.

Never said what was done was fair....there's just nothing illegal about it. Almost every state in the US is a "work at will" state. Unless specifically noted as an illegal act of discrimination, you can be terminated for ANY reason they come up with.

You might be able to discriminate of appearance in so far as you wouldn't want someone covered in tattoos and piercing working in a bank or a fancy resturant, but to fire someone because you find them attractive is absurd. If your marriage is in so much trouble you're thinking about screwing around, that is on you. You want to save your marriage? Go to a counsellor, talk to your spouse or even consider if ti is really possible to save it. Don't take it out on your employees.

Note: I'd have the same opinion regardless of the gender of the employer or employee, so don't start that nonsense.

I totally agree, what happened to her was ****ed up. But, she has no legal action as far as wrongful termination....by the law, the company can terminate her.

Posted

Can you fire people because they're ugly too?

Posted

Such firings may be unfair, but they are not unlawful discrimination under the Iowa Civil Rights Act because they are motivated by feelings and emotions, not gender, Justice Edward Mansfield wrote.

Isn't sexism, racism, homophobia, prejudice in general, motivated by "feelings and emotions"?

1 person likes this

Posted

?su?s ou s???? s??? ?no? u??? ??????s ??? ???? ?sn???q ?uo??os ???? s? ??s ll?? ???? ?u??? ?x?u

Posted

my dad used to repair typesetters in the 80s and a couple places where he was sent to fix them the office only hired ugly people to avoid sexual harrassment and romances in the office. This practice has existed for a while.

Posted

my dad used to repair typesetters in the 80s and a couple places where he was sent to fix them the office only hired ugly people to avoid sexual harrassment and romances in the office. This practice has existed for a while.

I understand your point... but the woman worked for him for over 10 years before this... I can see it if he didn't hire her originally.

Truth be told the Wife probably saw the way the two of them were chummy and felt threatened forcing him to fire her.

Posted

pics?

Posted

seta-san, please show firey pics of the ugly people...:)

1 person likes this

Posted

Shes not that good looking, I was expecting some knock me dead stunner

http://gawker.com/melissa-nelson/

Posted

I don't find her attractive at all.

source:

http://mugshots.com/...on.3492111.html

Dude Wrong Melissa -- That one is from Wisconsin not Iowa

This is supposedly the woman -- (not yet confirmed) (The image supposedly originates from a dating site where the occupation is claimed to be dental field and it matches Nelson, Melissa , and she is 32 living in Iowa)

makuva-20_600.jpg

Posted

then you must have missed the part where it said Iowa

Posted

then you must have missed the part where it said Iowa

Did you read the article ? It says Iowa

Posted

Dude Wrong Melissa -- That one is from Wisconsin not Iowa

This is supposedly the woman -- (not yet confirmed) (The image supposedly originates from a dating site where the occupation is claimed to be dental field and it matches Nelson, Melissa , and she is 32 living in Iowa)

makuva-20_600.jpg

Nice teeth.

Posted

Nice teeth.

I bet its shopped..

Posted

i would not fire a hotty.... maybe an ugmo ...

Posted

Seems fine enough to me. I wouldn't refuse her.

I think this is a bad decision, though. It's still discrimination no matter how to cut it.

1 person likes this

Posted

This is so messed up.. what a **** boss and Iowa is ****ing stupid.

Posted

Seems fine enough to me. I wouldn't refuse her.

I think this is a bad decision, though. It's still discrimination no matter how to cut it.

Well, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for farting.... but I wouldn't feel the need to sack her for being amazing either :p

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for farting.... but I wouldn't feel the need to sack her for being amazing either :p

Same here. Either one of them. :D

1 person likes this