Police: Teen made shooting post on FB 'to see what would happen'

UNION TOWNSHIP, OH (FOX19) -

A teenage girl has been charged after making a post on Facebook about a shooting at Glen Este High School. Union Township police say the 15-year-old initiated a rumor on the social media site that hinted at a possible shooting on Dec. 21st.

The Union Township Police Department received hundreds of calls from parents Thursday afternoon after the post hit the Internet and an investigation was launched. Police increased security at schools Friday including undercover officer presence.

While classes were not canceled, the Glen Este High School principal told FOX19 fifty percent of students did not show up Friday.

"For me, I think it's best to not cave in because if we give in to every threat we're going to be in for ? instability in our lives," Joyce Messick said after picking her granddaughter up from school.

Police arrested the 15-year-old girl on Friday for felony charges of inducing panic and tampering with evidence. The girl told police she initiated the post 'to see what would happen.' Police say she attempted to destroy evidence prior to them contacting her.

Union Township Police add that rumors of officers finding weapons were unfounded.

"The world changed last Friday and I'm not taking chances," parent Rebecca Taylor said Friday.

Taylor kept her kids out of school the first part of the school day.

"I don't want to let my kids be afraid?" Taylor said. "But I also want to let them know that there are sick people in this world and it could happen. It could happen right here in Clermont County."

"It takes a lot to send your child to a school if you're not certain that they're going to be safe and secure so we certainly understand that," West Clermont Local School District Superintendent Gary Brooks said.

Dr. Brooks says because the investigation was ongoing they were not able to get an "all call" out to parents before the school day started.

"We're sorry that we disappointed people and generally left [parents] in a state where they were more anxious than they needed to be," he said. "Certainly at no point in time did the police or the school system believe that students were in jeopardy."

Lt. Scott Gaviglia of the Union Township Police Department says unlike the rumors that spread like wildfire on social media, police have to get the facts right.

"We can't move as fast as Facebook or Twitter because we have to be responsible to the public and to society as a whole," he argued. "We take every threat seriously. Upon further investigation it was very clear this was a hoax with no plans, no diagrams, no weapons."

"Did I do the right thing? Did I not?" Taylor questioned. "I don't know, but I felt like I did."

Brooks says the school district is in the process of getting a letter out to parents. The superintendent says district officials will meet to evaluate their response and talk about ways they can improve communication with parents in the future.

"As a parent I would have liked to have known more quickly than I did at times," Brooks said. "In an ongoing investigation [and] you can't release all the information, I understand that. I also understand that as superintendent you're the one that takes responsibility for that and I do take responsibility for that."

Source

"I wanted to see what would happen..."

FELONY!

I was in high school in Denver during the Columbine attack. In the days, weeks and months that followed until this school year was over this was common. Every other day we were evacuated for a bomb threat, or half the school wouldn't show up because of a rumor just like this.

Sad; she is only 15, and she thought this was just being funny. . . :huh:

That's how a lot of kids are nowadays. They don't really think about what they do or care about other peoples feelings. People have been that way for decades, but it seems like it just keeps getting worse.

That's how a lot of kids are nowadays. They don't really think about what they do or care about other peoples feelings. People have been that way for decades, but it seems like it just keeps getting worse.

I believe that's how kids have been for a very long time (not just "nowadays"). They don't know any better, and their parents aren't teaching them properly because it's getting more and more difficult to spend time with your children AND keep a roof over their heads. The 2 income household is almost a requirement in our economy and has been for quite a while, so there is nobody at home to care for our children in a way that some of us might remember.

The other contributor to these situations are the 24/7 news media which tends to put a spin on everything they report (right or left), and the increased use of technology and social media. If we aren't able to teach our kids what's right and wrong and how to reason, then they fall prey to the other influences in their lives.

what did she say? "initiated a rumor on the social media site that hinted at a possible shooting" doesn't seem like a felony to me...

it's like shouting 'there's a possability of a fire in that crowded theater, maybe, sometime in the future!"

[snip]

750.00? That is enough for a new unlocked phone of her choice.. maybe iPhone 5 or she could hold it until iPhone 6. Simple.

Kids these days. No wonder kids do not think right.... there are some goods for that price that she can buy. Even she can save up for a car.

It's not getting worse. The internet makes it looks worse. I'm born in the 70ies and kids back then was exactly like kids today. You just did not know about it cause there was no internet.

The 2 income household is almost a requirement

It is a requirement. I work as a web dev and earn more than the average salary. My salary is not enougn to buy an house alone. I can pay for a car. Rent a 4½ to live. That's all. The cost of everything is going up like crazy lately but the salaries don't really follow. Sadly the video game consoles are the new babysitters.

[quote name=shozilla' timestamp='1356281956' post='59541

1380]

Kids these days.

Like i said kids back in the 70ies and 80ies were not any better. You just did not know about it. You know this story because of internet. If we were in the 70ies you would not know about it and would think kids are alright cause yours are.

Like i said kids back in the 70ies and 80ies were not any better. You just did not know about it. You know this story because of internet. If we were in the 70ies you would not know about it and would think kids are alright cause yours are.

I'm from that era, I don't remember there being bomb threats or threats at all, the rare kid that threatened a teacher disappeared real fast in my schools

I worked in IS at a school district until a few months ago, had to interact with K-12 students, and I can tell you that while they might be more book smart due to the wealth of information available nowadays... their attitude and personalities are completely ridiculous. Granted every older generation thinks that the newer generation are twats, but if you think Honey Boo Boo, Toddlers in Tiaras is an isolated, made up thing on a TV show... you'd be surprised. Some of these kids have a serious problems with self image, concept of right and wrong, their expectations of what people should do for them, view of the real world after high school, how to treat themselves and others, etc... Spoiled doesn't even begin to describe it, and when things don't go their way they take tantrums to a whole new level.

Same thing happened in the city I live in too...know how it ended? The police found out who started the rumors. Now, there's a 16 year old in juvenile detention, with a mandatory 10 days in jail, and he's awaiting a second hearing as to whether or not he'll be getting out any time soon. Some people just shouldn't be allowed oxygen, if you know what I mean. ;)

The girl told police she initiated the post 'to see what would happen.'

Well, now she knows what would happen. What an idiot.

I don't have kids yet but I will try to make sure that I treat them right and well which I hope.

Back in old days, there weren't many gun/bomb treats..... Then in 90's era and ongoing, there are shootings, bomb treats, fake fire alarm pulls which is because the kids learn from internet, DIY videos, or video games. That's why some kids aren't trained well by their parents. If the kids are trained well by parents, these tragic events would not be happening.

I have seen kids are trained with the guns at early age by their dads .... even on TV shows and shooting ranges.

Plus shockz's post is right.