bios help and overclocking bios overclocking unlock bios linux kubuntu

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 23 December 2012 - 20:21

Ok. So I recently updated my secondary Linux machine with some of my friend's old parts:

AMD 4200+ X2 @ 2.2 Ghz
MCP61PM-AM Rev: 1.0A (Yanked out of an old Gateway)
2 GB DDR2

Unfortunately, the mobo has a locked BIOS and I can't overclock. :pinch: I Googled around and I found some sites that talk about flashing and unlocking the BIOS, but it has mixed reviews--most people screwed their board up. What are my options here? I was thinking about getting an AM3+ board in the future for my primary machine and moving over my current AM2+ board, but that's a long ways off. What could I do now?

*sigh* OEM reindeer games. This is the #1 reason I don't buy consumer PC's and build my own. :/

Thanks guys!

#2 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 23 December 2012 - 20:34

You could try AMD Overdrive
http://sites.amd.com...s/overview.aspx

Maximum control for massive headroom

Personalize your experience with state-of-the-art real-time overclocking*. Used by world record setting overclockers across the globe, AMD OverDrive™ gives you unprecedented control over your processor, memory and chipset to push the performance envelope further than ever before.

I wouldn't mess around with custom BIOSs, good chance you'll be the proud owner of a huge brick

#3 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 20:41

I wouldn't mess around with custom BIOSs, good chance you'll be the proud owner of a huge brick

Yeah--that's one think I've learned over the years when it comes to flashing BIOS's and firmwares: If it an't broke, don't fix it.

Question tho: I currently have Linux installed. If I dual boot with 7 and OC with this, will my OC stick when I boot into Linux? I'm thinking the answer is probably "no" , right?

#4 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 23 December 2012 - 20:56

You try this? http://www.ztex.de/misc/k10ctl.e.html

#5 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 21:13

You try this? http://www.ztex.de/misc/k10ctl.e.html

I actually did try that. No joy. :(

#6 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 23 December 2012 - 21:17

Yeah--that's one think I've learned over the years when it comes to flashing BIOS's and firmwares: If it an't broke, don't fix it.

Question tho: I currently have Linux installed. If I dual boot with 7 and OC with this, will my OC stick when I boot into Linux? I'm thinking the answer is probably "no" , right?

If you OC with a program in windows and boot into another OS, the OC won't stick

If you OC with the BIOS, it will stick in any OS

I know AMD OD does have some interaction with the BIOS, when I used it I couldn't OC higher than I had my BIOS set to, but that was when my BIOS didn't support my CPU fully so might not be relevant

#7 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 21:25

If you OC with a program in windows and boot into another OS, the OC won't stick

If you OC with the BIOS, it will stick in any OS

I know AMD OD does have some interaction with the BIOS, when I used it I couldn't OC higher than I had my BIOS set to, but that was when my BIOS didn't support my CPU fully so might not be relevant

Oh, well that's a bummer. I guess I can just deal with it until I get my new mobo. It's plenty fast for a Linux machine. None the less, thank you for your help. :)